Standard english or advance english??? PLZ HELP!!!! SRSLY! (1 Viewer)

chrisong1

HSC
N/A
When I go to the 2011 atar calculator
the scallin for advance english and standard english is basically the same WTF??????

i always thought that advance english scales exceptionally well???

I guess im an average student at english getting b's in advance,,

after using the atar calculator im thinkin of dropping to standard.

can anyone actually explain why scalling for advance and standard is the same>????

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
the scallin for advance english and standard english is basically the same WTF??????

can anyone actually explain why scalling for advance and standard is the same>????
I believe you are getting confused with aligning and scaling, English Advanced aligns better than Standard.

annagurl

HSC
N/A

You do advanced english?
Don't make me go all grammar nazi on you :p

ibbi00

HSC
There's been a similar thread recently. Look it up.

pony_magician

townie for worst user
HSC
That's because there is no difference in scaling. Many people confuse the terms scaling and aligning.

Aligning is the adjustment of your raw marks in the HSC exam to a final mark that is reported to you. This is done by BOS.
Scaling is related to how far a subject goes to contribute to a higher ATAR. This is done by UAC.

So the general consensus is that Standard aligns significantly lower than Advanced and it is therefore much harder to achieve a band 6 in this subject. e.g. only 62 students last year managed this compared to thousands in Advanced. So ultimately a 90 in Standard or Advanced will have the same effect on your ATAR.
http://community.boredofstudies.org...e-scale-the-same-according-to-ATAR-calculator

Haven't you asked this already?

powlmao

Banned
HSC
It determined by how everyone goes. If you do standard and you really good you can get higher in the state

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
It determined by how everyone goes. If you do standard and you really good you can get higher in the state
Compare the amount of people with band 6 in Standard and band 6 in Advanced last year. It is quite hard to achieve a band 6 in Standard than in Advanced.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Compare the amount of people with band 6 in Standard and band 6 in Advanced last year. It is quite hard to achieve a band 6 in Standard than in Advanced.
Thats because more retards take Standard and decent people take Advance, really doesnt matter to much if you study

personally im not taking advance because i hate english

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Thats because more retards take Standard and decent people take Advance, really doesnt matter to much if you study

personally im not taking advance because i hate english
No, it's not that either. It is much harder to achieve a band 6 in Standard even if you are smart. Standard has common content to Advanced.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Correct me if I am wrong, but last year, there were about 100 or so people with band 6 in Standard against 2-3k in Advanced.

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Correct me if I am wrong, but last year, there were about 100 or so people with band 6 in Standard against 2-3k in Advanced.
Your probably right

I just cannot stand english plus the Advance teacher at my school is retard and mmy current one is really really nice

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Your probably right

I just cannot stand english plus the Advance teacher at my school is retard and mmy current one is really really nice
Our English teacher is awesome, really good at explaining stuff. Self study. :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
Our English teacher is awesome, really good at explaining stuff. Self study. :)
I do self study, but the Advance teacher does piss all. My current teacher is soo helpful though

But i no one in my school who does standard is that retarded

The retards get kicked out of standard and put into english studies

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I do self study, but the Advance teacher does piss all. My current teacher is soo helpful though

But i no one in my school who does standard is that retarded

The retards get kicked out of standard and put into english studies
English Standard is around the same calibre as English Advanced, it's by no means for "noisy kids". I know a few people who do English Standard that are absolutely brilliant at English. :)

powlmao

Banned
HSC
English Standard is around the same calibre as English Advanced, it's by no means for "noisy kids". I know a few people who do English Standard that are absolutely brilliant at English. :)
Im pretty good at english but I just don't like it. I like Standard

Im 100% it wont affect my ATAR

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Im pretty good at english but I just don't like it. I like Standard

Im 100% it wont affect my ATAR
It will not affect your ATAR if you don't let it, keep writing and you shall be fine. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)