Standard English or Advanced English? (1 Viewer)

esther609

HSC
Hello, I'm currently in year 10.

I had to pick my subjects for year 11 (next year) and my English teacher told the class to pick Advanced English if you get more than 65ish in your final English report.
I usually get in the 60s for my exams but get in the 70s in my report (included assignments and stuff)
I picked Standard English but not sure if I should change to Advanced English.

Also does Advanced English scale well than Standard English?

Please recommend me what I should do :)
(FYI. I'm not a huge fan of English)

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
Advanced.

Even though i went fairly well for standard (87 which is top 5% of the state) i'd still choose advanced if i had the choice again, my atar would be higher.

Crisium

Pew Pew
HSC
I suggest that you give Advanced a go because

1) Yes it does scale more than standard

2) You can always drop down to standard if you're struggling with it

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced
1) It aligns better
2) You can always drop to Standard

lilcutetricker

HSC
Uni Grad
At my school people are kind of considered less intelligent (unless they are going to do 4u maths or whatever) but its totally illogical since the only module that differs is Shakespeare, so I'd go with advance if i were you. and listen to Drifting, he was the guy who your teachers told you about 'any subject can get you any atar'. If he says do advance, to advance..

HSC
Advanced only scales slightly more than standard, not by a huge amount. Its much easier to get a band 5 or higher in advanced than standard. And you can always drop to standard in year 12 if you're struggling, but do advanced.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced only scales slightly more than standard, not by a huge amount. Do advanced, its much easier to get a band 5 or higher, than in standard because of the aligning. And you can always drop to standard in year 12 if you're struggling, but do advanced.
Not sure if srs.

HSC
Not sure if srs.
You replied while i was editing my comment haha :p what i meant was that because of the aligning process, it is much easier to get a band 5 or higher in advanced than in standard. for example last year raw mark of 68/105 in advanced was an 81 HSC mark, whereas standard, the raw mark was much higher

Fizzy_Cyst

HSC
Uni Grad
Advanced only scales slightly more than standard, not by a huge amount. Its much easier to get a band 5 or higher in advanced than standard. And you can always drop to standard in year 12 if you're struggling, but do advanced.
Advanced and Standard SCALE the same.

They ALIGN much differently!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I would suggest you pick Advanced but you need to identify why you are getting your current marks to target areas for improving your marks-because regardless of what stream of English you pick, you need to work hard to improve your mark:)

enoilgam

HSC
Definitely go for advanced, standard aligns horribly (5% get above 80 compared to like 40% or 50% for advanced) and the difference in difficulty is marginal.

senorceepa

HSC
Advanced. If you think you're gonna get a band 6 in standard, you're dreaming (the kids who get band 6's are the one's who shouldn't even be in standard).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)