Starting 3 Unit Maths this Year? Like to find some friends to study with? Post Up (1 Viewer)

HSC
lmao yeah what do we do? hahahaha omg started circle geometry today. teacher had me confused. i got it first time round but then she went over it again slowly n got me confused. all good now. but wth.. we use maths in focus for 3u.. use cambridge as well sometimes apparantly but maths in focus to get the basics? :S

Air Jordan

HSC
lmao yeah what do we do? hahahaha omg started circle geometry today. teacher had me confused. i got it first time round but then she went over it again slowly n got me confused. all good now. but wth.. we use maths in focus for 3u.. use cambridge as well sometimes apparantly but maths in focus to get the basics? :S
lol! That was on purpose right?

pillar

HSC
hey

so I ended up in extension 1 maths and the teachers at my school really don't tell us shit, so lucky I'm resourceful enough to find some information out by myself but the rest I'm gonna have to ask assistance for lol.

We got given Maths In Focus Prelim Extension 1, however I've only had 2u maths so far this week yet we've worked out of that book. So I've deduced either the teacher is on crack or obviously the textbook contains 2u topics AND 3u topics.. but yeah I don't know which topics are the 3u ones and which are the 2u ones. if anyone could help seperate the 2 subjects that'd be great

also I know Maths In Focus is apparently pretty basic sooo I guess I'm gonna have to get some other textbooks like Cambridge and Fitzpatrick (by the way is Fitzpatrick the real name of the textbook or is it the author?)

yeah it's mostly off-topic stuff I posted so sorry about that, just saw some 3u people posting who are hopefully better informed than me.

h3ll h0und

HSC
hey

so I ended up in extension 1 maths and the teachers at my school really don't tell us shit, so lucky I'm resourceful enough to find some information out by myself but the rest I'm gonna have to ask assistance for lol.

We got given Maths In Focus Prelim Extension 1, however I've only had 2u maths so far this week yet we've worked out of that book. So I've deduced either the teacher is on crack or obviously the textbook contains 2u topics AND 3u topics.. but yeah I don't know which topics are the 3u ones and which are the 2u ones. if anyone could help seperate the 2 subjects that'd be great

also I know Maths In Focus is apparently pretty basic sooo I guess I'm gonna have to get some other textbooks like Cambridge and Fitzpatrick (by the way is Fitzpatrick the real name of the textbook or is it the author?)

yeah it's mostly off-topic stuff I posted so sorry about that, just saw some 3u people posting who are hopefully better informed than me.
i think its called New senior mathematics.... lol alot of schools are using maths in focus this year.....i thought most schools use fitzy .... our school is using cambridge x) but i think some of the topics from the prelim course are in the year 12 book :( but our school gave us the year 12 version as well :)

LtPhoenix

HSC
I'll join, my school is currently using jones and couchman, but i also use cambridge myself.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
i think its called New senior mathematics.... lol alot of schools are using maths in focus this year.....i thought most schools use fitzy .... our school is using cambridge x) but i think some of the topics from the prelim course are in the year 12 book :( but our school gave us the year 12 version as well :)
The majority of schools use Maths in Focus (especially public schools and private schools which do not have a strong maths department). My school uses New Senior Mathematics by Fitzpatrick - and I think it's really good. Pretty good theory and the exercises are good practice for me.

As for the study group thing - it would kind of be hard, unless all of you guys live in the same area. Better of for maths to just help each other online and maybe form study groups in the holidays or something.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
A few of those good Maths books are a bit out of date because they do not follow the syllabus properly. Cambridge 3 unit has some HSC Topics in it.

P.S. Started Polynomials.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
I'm not too interested in a study group but we started Locus on Thursday. Also we use Fitzpatrick.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Locus?! That's supposed to be one of the last topics studied in accordance to my school's Preliminary course.
Locus was is pretty easy.... probability was the last in my school's prelim course :)

But as the-derivative, it's hard to form a study group unless you live in the same area.

I wish ya'll all luck :D

Aquawhite

Retiring
HSC
Uni Grad
I just checked what's coming for the Prelim and HSC, but the last topic in the 2unit course is tangent to a curve + derivative of a function (do it so much earlier in ext.1) and in prelim ext. 1 the last topic is Polynomials.

It's too hard for me to try and form a study group. Most students don't have any time to do so, or aren't interested in it. "they have better things to do", even those with their HSC still have better things to do than to study :O :lol:

Last edited:

rolror88

HSC
N/A
Locus?! That's supposed to be one of the last topics studied in accordance to my school's Preliminary course.
Well, that probably cause he goes to Ruse. But I think I've seen some locus problems in extension 1 half yearlies in some schools. Anyways, we've started doing series and sequences.

HSC
ewwww sequence and series. did that at tutor. hate it!!!

LOL we use maths in focus at school for ext. as well as 2u. apparantly we get cambridge text books as well soon.. not sure when, but "soon" as the teacher says.

we're doing circle geometry now.

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Finished Locus :D. Now we're on graphs and functions. By the way, I'm in Maths 7, so basically everybody else is better. Also Ruse has a weirdass way of doing this. Basically after graphing we're diving straight into calculus.

h3ll h0und

HSC
ewwww sequence and series. did that at tutor. hate it!!!

LOL we use maths in focus at school for ext. as well as 2u. apparantly we get cambridge text books as well soon.. not sure when, but "soon" as the teacher says.

we're doing circle geometry now.
ur teachers prolly bluffing...just to stop u complaining about how crap maths in focus is...cant we get cambridge blah blah blah :haha: jks
circle geo....r ur ext maths classes seperate to ur 2U or are they integrated?
our ones are integrated :( so we're prolly gonna do all the 'cool' stuff like way late :(

duckcowhybrid

HSC
Ruse classes are integrated. We actually dunno what's 3U and whats 2U, we just learn all of it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)