starting a club at unsw (1 Viewer)

laney

HSC
i may have asked this before, so sorry if i have...

how does one start a club at unsw?
i've been meaning to do this since the beginning of the year but i haven't figured out HOW to. my friend who does a lot of stuff like contact and yellow shirts doesn't even know how to start one, so i really have no idea.

i also need to get this club started pretty soon, so that i'm allowed to set up a stall next year at o'week.

Exeter

Resident Megaphone
HSC
ithink you have to go see casoc, they on first floor of the quad (someone correct me if im wrong)
btw what type of club is it?

maniacguy

Easiest thing to do - wander into the guild office, and then into the CASOC office and ask the guy in there about it.

Stuff you need to do:
- have an AGM with at least 15 people turning up, having advertised beforehand (preferably) in Tharunka/Blitz
- get all members to fill in a membership form (there's a bunch in the CASOC office)
- open a bank account with either CommBank or the credit union, so any money the guild wants to give you can be deposited.
- various other things - see CASOC about them.

laney

HSC
cheers dudes. casoc will be the place i start off at.

i'd like to start a comedy club, one that is an affiliate to the usyd comedy club actually. it will probably be similar to that club, where we get together every week and watch some comedy dvds of peoples' choice. it's also an excellent opportunity to get money from the uni so we can have parties every week :D 15 people will be easy. just tell people we're having food feasts every week :D join!!!!!

underthesun

N1NJ4
HSC
food feasts every week? while watching movie?

I *might* join, if you can make the lunch on a good time for people to be on.. On the other hand, im thinking of starting vampireSoc :D

ace

is retired
HSC
Well, why not Russian_Soc

or Quake_Soc, lets see em try and kick us out of the labs :p

We can buy legit Quake with the Guild Moola and play on a real map for once ;)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
redslert said:
hmmmm should open new club called "scam money from uni guild"
they already a club like that...its called "Shangsoc" lol :D:p

is a roflcopter
HSC
we were gona start highsoc any day now

B

Bambul

laney said:
cheers dudes. casoc will be the place i start off at.

i'd like to start a comedy club, one that is an affiliate to the usyd comedy club actually. it will probably be similar to that club, where we get together every week and watch some comedy dvds of peoples' choice. it's also an excellent opportunity to get money from the uni so we can have parties every week :D 15 people will be easy. just tell people we're having food feasts every week :D join!!!!!
Getting money from CASOC isn't that easy. You only really get it under 2 cirumstances:

1. As a loan. You can get $1500 from CASOC but have to pay it back after the event. The only exception to this is:
2. As a grant. You can avoid returning the $1500 if you can prove that you ran at a loss (even after the $1500).

There was a recent crackdown on all the "white elephant" clubs that were trying to leach off CASOC (e.g. ChocSoc, the Ski Club, etc). So you're unlikely to fins out that becoming a CASOC club entitles you to rivers of gold.

It does give you discounts though. And getting access to uni resources (like tute rooms, lecture theatres, etc) becomes much easier.

Having said that, go to CASOC and they'll tell you everything you need to do. There are a few extra things (like writing a constitution, getting a president + trasurer + secretary + CASOC Rep, etc) but it's best you go to CASOC to find out.

laney

HSC
the dude i went to see there today was very unhelpful about it.
he just said take the purple form, read it, and advertise and you're in, providing the club is not similar to any other club. but like, that's ALL he had to say. i wasn't happy about that.

all the people i thought would be interested in my club are pulling out...i don't even know why, they don't have to do anything. so not happy. i don't know what to do. alas. i also can't be bothered advertising. you have to advertising in the blitz or thurunka, and then that become another problem, like how???

yeah, i heard that it wasn't so easy today to just leach money off casoc. more thought needed i think. hhehe

Frigid

LLB (Hons)
HSC
N/A
does anyone remember the brief wrinkle through time that was ShangSoc?

*sigh* all them shang girls i coulda met thru s3...

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
Frigid said:

shangsoc - crushed under its own shangness LOL..shang pride gone too far

B

Bambul

Creating a successful new club is a hard thing to do. UN Society did it, so have Studio 4. But they were each put together by a group of people who were active on campus and had experience in running other Clubs (LawSoc, NUTS, etc).

If you are interested in starting a club I would suggest spending 6 months or a year being involved with another club, there are a lot, in some volunteer organisational capacity. If you can get on te exec at the AGM that is even better. Just so that you can get an idea of what is required to run a club. You also want to get 1-2 other people to start up the club with you - you don't want to be a one man club, believe me - that way you can have someone else to be Treasurer or Secretary or CASOC Rep or Marketing Director or whatever.

After reading all that, if you're still genuine interested in getting a club started then PM me and I can let you know some more, possibly also put you in touch with someone who can help you out a bit more than the CASOC people. (Maybe, that's no guarantee)

tonberry_kun

O RLY?
HSC
Frigid said:

what happened to shangsoc?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
tonberry_kun said:
what happened to shangsoc?
lol
yeh when did they go brust!
i didn't know that

the last i heard of them, they were doing some skiing event or something

Suvat

part timer
HSC
N/A
everyone was talking canto on the shangsoc ski trip bus...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)