Starting HSC work? (1 Viewer)

Zorbini

HSC
Some of my teachers have told me that as soon as we finish our exams, which is about a week from now, that we will be starting to do some HSC work. I thought it was a bit weird since, it's going to be a busy week anyway, so there won't be much time for work, which will of course be followed up by two weeks of holidays...

Is this happening for other schools? :confused:

ajdlinux

Mod: ANU, ATAR/HSC Marks
HSC
I've always been told that if we haven't finished everything in the Prelim course by last week term 3, we're behind schedule, and we'll have to take up some of our valuable HSC time in term 4 to finish it off.

I note that the Board doesn't issue Preliminary certificates until late December, so I suppose they expect this.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC
ajdlinux said:
I've always been told that if we haven't finished everything in the Prelim course by last week term 3, we're behind schedule, and we'll have to take up some of our valuable HSC time in term 4 to finish it off.

I note that the Board doesn't issue Preliminary certificates until late December, so I suppose they expect this.
Preliminary Certificates? Do they display the marks like the School Certificate, but instead, showing the school's internal marks only? Link? Just curious :uhhuh:.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
schools are not meant to start the hsc course till week 4/5 of term four
I don't think so, because isn't the first HSC task sometime around October?

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
x.Exhaust.x said:
Preliminary Certificates? Do they display the marks like the School Certificate, but instead, showing the school's internal marks only? Link? Just curious :uhhuh:.
no marks, they just say so and so has successfully completed the following preliminary board endorsed courses: then ur subjects are listed

SimonLee13

HSC
theshortykatt said:
The yearlies and such have been completed in term 3. If not the HSC course, what do you do for 4-5 weeks. I've heard your first assessment is in week 6 or 7 isn't it?

ajdlinux

HSC
-may-cat- said:
no marks, they just say so and so has successfully completed the following preliminary board endorsed courses: then ur subjects are listed
Pedantic correction: you mean both Board Developed Courses (Eng, Maths, etc.) and Board Endorsed Courses (e.g. school developed courses, courses like Photography, Ceramics, etc.).

Otherwise yeah, they're a bit too boring...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
ajdlinux said:
Pedantic correction: you mean both Board Developed Courses (Eng, Maths, etc.) and Board Endorsed Courses (e.g. school developed courses, courses like Photography, Ceramics, etc.).

Otherwise yeah, they're a bit too boring...
lol, hey i dont know the thing back to front, i dont even know where my one is

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:

No - They aren't allowed to start the HSC until the beginning of Term 4. That is the only regulation that the BOS has.

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
cem said:
No - They aren't allowed to start the HSC until the beginning of Term 4. That is the only regulation that the BOS has.
Yeah, that's why I heard as well. Seems abit useless though, considering how tons of people have tutors now...

ajdlinux

HSC
theshortykatt said:
links to support this please?
It doesn't look to me like an official regulation.

I searched the Assessment, Certification and Examination Manual and found:

8.13.2 Commencement of HSC internal assessments
With the exception of Mathematics Extension 1, assessments for the HSC course
must not commence until after the completion of the Preliminary course. Students
who have been allowed to enter the HSC course on probation will need to complete
outstanding Preliminary assessment tasks concurrently with HSC assessment tasks.
Assessment for the Mathematics Extension 1 HSC course can be based on the whole
of Mathematics Extension 1 (both Preliminary and HSC courses). However,
assessment for Mathematics Extension 1 should not begin until the school program of
HSC assessments for other subjects begins (this is usually no earlier than Term 4 of
Year 11).
Also, the Board timetable advises the dates when they take entries for the courses. I can't find anything suggesting that you can't begin teaching the class informally, though there may be restrictions in the assessment rules for formal assessments.

bawd

HSC
-may-cat- said:
Thank god. My preliminary exams have completely dragged down my average marks.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
SimonLee13 said:
The yearlies and such have been completed in term 3. If not the HSC course, what do you do for 4-5 weeks. I've heard your first assessment is in week 6 or 7 isn't it?
We start second week Term 4. First week is to get exams back and for them to sort classes andstuff.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
links to support this please?

This instruction was given to schools in 1994 when they introduced the idea of Preliminary and HSC courses with only the HSC course being examined. Prior to that the entire two years work was examinable. The restriction was brought in or otherwise schools would only teach the HSC course and take two years to teach it.

I also did look at the BOS site and couldn't find it but as it was given so long ago it may no longer be on the site as schools should know it.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
theshortykatt said:
assessment task dates are set by the school.
Yeah, so unless you've been doing the HSC content, I do not think you could be given a HSC assessment task.

ajdlinux

HSC
I've asked someone I know who has worked for the BOS, who said:
I've had a little look around for the particular document, but I am unable to locate it. But yes, unless you are an accelerant you are not allowed to commence study for the HSC before Term 4. You might want to confirm this though with the Office of the Board of Studies.
So yes, it looks like Term 4 is the regulation start date for the HSC course.

AUSBLUESWOMEN

HSC
Well, no I go to byron high and i have other friend who go to High schools in Sydney and other High schools closer to mine and we are all starting the HSC courses in Term 4. So that is a little weird that your school is doing it in Term 3 after you have had your exams.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
Have you started hsc work yet?

Biology we have started on "Maintaining a Balance", been given homework for the term, homewrok booklet, textbook and syllabus, and extra cirricular work.

English we have started "Belonging" and discussing Skrzynecki poetry.

General Maths we have started "Intrest" topic.

(I have also started researching for English Extension 2)

thats it for my subjects.

How about you guys?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)