STAT for Vet......Help? (1 Viewer)

justjared

HSC
N/A
I'm definetly not some genious and I'm not THAT great at Multiple choice. I've been doing the practice questions in the book ACER is selling and I'm finding some of it quite challenging.

I feel like I should just give up on my hope of becoming a Vet.

Is it hard to get 150/200?

Riproot

#MedLyf
HSC
Uni Grad
I'm definetly not some genious and I'm not THAT great at Multiple choice. I've been doing the practice questions in the book ACER is selling and I'm finding some of it quite challenging.

I feel like I should just give up on my hope of becoming a Vet.

Is it hard to get 150/200?
You definitely* aren't a genius*. Lol
It's not that hard mate. STAT is pretty simple, just keep practicing.

muselara

Melb Uni
HSC
yeah stat is easy i got in the top percentile and it's impossible to study for really because the questions are different in the actual test. it's a true measure of your analytical skills etc for new problems, which is something that needs to be developed over your education, so you should be fine if you are wanting to be a vet :)

liz2814

HSC
To be honest, I found the practice ones relatively easy and was getting right up near 200/200 but I found the actual test a lot harder than the practice ones and was really upset because I thought I didnt pass but I got 157 and I got into vet for 2013 :) just try your hardest, its not as hard as umat or anything

mandyjeanm

HSC
I'm no genius either and I thought I screwed a lot of it up but I did get 164. I didn't get the ATAR for vet though, but I haven't given up so you shouldn't either :)

Jewls

HSC
N/A
Vet entry requirements have dropped massively over the last few years because of the poor employment outcomes. One in five vet graduates are unemployed after their five to six year university degree.
So you could either wait for the decreasing STAT requirement or start another degree and transfer into vet. But make sure you have someone else to provide finances for your vet career as there is a good chance of unemployment and low wages for those that do find employment. That someone who is providing the finances also better be super supportive because you will likely work weekends and evenings with little time to see your family or friends. Don't expect much sympathy from the public either as they routinely whinge about the cost of veterinary care. But that is what your boss will dictate must be charged for the clinic to survive.

R

RishadM

Vet entry requirements have dropped massively over the last few years because of the poor employment outcomes. One in five vet graduates are unemployed after their five to six year university degree.
So you could either wait for the decreasing STAT requirement or start another degree and transfer into vet. But make sure you have someone else to provide finances for your vet career as there is a good chance of unemployment and low wages for those that do find employment. That someone who is providing the finances also better be super supportive because you will likely work weekends and evenings with little time to see your family or friends. Don't expect much sympathy from the public either as they routinely whinge about the cost of veterinary care. But that is what your boss will dictate must be charged for the clinic to survive.
That was pretty demotivating/upsetting to say in a thread full of people aspiring to be veterinarians =[ I'm sure people here don't care too much about the $$$, it's awesome to be able to help helpless animals and take care of them. If you love animals and you're a vet then you won't end up with a depressing 40 year table job. I used to want to be a vet =]

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
One is five unemployed isn't TOO bad. I have heard of some small courses where there is over 90% unemployment or working unrelated to their course.

Jewls

HSC
N/A
One is five unemployed isn't TOO bad. I have heard of some small courses where there is over 90% unemployment or working unrelated to their course.
I guess it depends if you are comparing apples with apples. The vet degree is 5-6 years at university, one of the longest! Compared with medicine at 2% unemployment, vet is almost TEN times the unemployment rate! And about half the salary. Plus suicides in vet are double that in medicine (see Bartram, Veterinary Record).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)