STAT1070 course (1 Viewer)

Birkenau

HSC
Yes

1. The textbook is largely a waste of money, the course notes are excellent and all you need
2. You don't need to be great at maths to do well, however, having basic knowledge of logs and exponentials is needed.
3. The course can be time consuming, but the assessment is well thought out and not too intensive.
4. Stay on top of the content and you'll do fine, if you ever have trouble, there's plenty of consulation times

Will Shakespear

mumbo magic
HSC
if you don't have a good working knowledge of vector calculus and complex analysis, it's F territory for you in this course

~untitled~

HSC
I completed this course last year, with a C. I began the course without any knowledge of logs, and completed the course without any knowledge of logs. You only need to worry about that stuff for D/ HD marks. You do need to keep on top of the work though and make sure you attend the labs. If you fall behind, its hard to catch up. Marks come easy in the group project.

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
What if I haven't done maths since year ten, would it be wise to do a bridging course? :eek:

~untitled~

HSC
What if I haven't done maths since year ten, would it be wise to do a bridging course? :eek:
I don't think it would matter. If you're starting to have trouble just go to the maths centre and theyll sort you out with some help. Also, i believe if you're living on-campus you are entitled to a free tutor(not 100% sure). You shouldnt fail if you keep up to date with lecture notes and always attend your lab, because everything is explained quite well and the lecturer will always ask whether anyone wants anything re-explained or asks if anyone needs a second example.

The Ostler

HSC
STAT1070 is one of those courses that seems like it makes no sense all the time but if you keep up to date then it all falls into place in the last few weeks.
the course notes ARE excellent and the tuts are really good practice.

youwontknow

HSC
Are tute exercises from the textbook? As in, do I need it?

I know Birkenau said you don't, just looking for more opinions.

I did 3U in year 12, and have previously done math1050... so hopefully I can grasp it all without needing the textbook for myself, just wondering if there are set exercises from it.

The Ostler

HSC
Are tute exercises from the textbook? As in, do I need it?

I know Birkenau said you don't, just looking for more opinions.

I did 3U in year 12, and have previously done math1050... so hopefully I can grasp it all without needing the textbook for myself, just wondering if there are set exercises from it.
when i did it the tut work was in the back of the notes booklet.

The Ostler

HSC
probably not but if you're struggling, go visit the maths clinic thing.

jumb

mr jumb
HSC
So it's not impossible for people without knowledge of maths past year 10?

:D
This is coming from someone who did 4 unit in year 12, and does a very maths intensive course at uni, but how do you live?

supercalamari

you've got the love
HSC
I'm not sure what you mean by that. You mean, how is it possible I don't do maths?
um.
I'm in year 12. I don't do maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)