• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

State Rankings (1 Viewer)

dp624

HSC
lou071 said:
ummmm,, extra 15 min seems wrong word...
i got it from smh, anyway i am asking this
coz some of my friends still stressed about this
issue.
SMH's article was wrong. i was there so you can probably trust me more than SMH. I don;t let personal bias come into it.
And tell your friends its not as if they were negatively affected by it. IN fact the +15 mins probably increased the scaled mean of the course, meaning that they actually benefited.

lou071

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
SMH's article was wrong. i was there so you can probably trust me more than SMH. I don;t let personal bias come into it.
And tell your friends its not as if they were negatively affected by it. IN fact the +15 mins probably increased the scaled mean of the course, meaning that they actually benefited.
r u from ruse?

lou071

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I don't get it. It was already given that James Ruse people willl kill everyone in 3 unit maths anyway. Even if they were given less time, it's likely that they would have had top rankers (or thereabout).

I think they deserve it.
lyounamu, i know it is a really silly question, but, from your 'connection', do you know any information (from BOS) about this year's maths ext1 and ext2 exam?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lou071 said:
lyounamu, i know it is a really silly question, but, from your 'connection', do you know any information (from BOS) about this year's maths ext1 and ext2 exam?
about which aspect?

you mean first? or...

lou071

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
about which aspect?

you mean first? or...
yeh, and do you know if the marker's view toward 2008 hsc exam for maths ext1 and 2 was harder than previous years etc

dp624

HSC
Well I know what Namu's connection would say. Cos i;m connected too.
Umm the connection doest know whether the exam was harder or easier. THey're from ruse so all they can say is Ruse found it relatively easy.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
Umm the connection doest know whether the exam was harder or easier. THey're from ruse so all they can say is Ruse found it relatively easy.
lol "connection"

lou71: the general consensus at BoS seems to suggest that this year's exam was harder than exams before us.

lou071

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
both ext1 and ext2 papers?

how did you find the exam personally?

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lou071 said:

ex2 = apprently the hardest in 10 years according to my teacherS
ex1 = not a hard paper in general but many people had time management issue, hence perceived to be harder when it is actually pretty easy in general

dp624

HSC
lou071 said:

It was ok for me. Not hard. I can say that the +15 didn't help me, cos i finished in about 80 mins. Sat there going through several time and didn't pick up on the radians fail of mine. hopefully i state rank.

Umm Ext2 wasn't all that hard. I lost at least 1 mark legitimately (i.e. couldn't do it) and at least 4 by silly mistake. @ namu i didn't find it that hard. i don't tihnk i;ll get top 10 but prolly top 20 (too bad they only publish 10). with luck i can scrape it.

From what our connections say, top in 3u was 84/84 and for 4u it was 119 or 118/120

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
And the top mark in the state for 2 unit is 120/120 according to our connection.

lou071

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
ex2 = apprently the hardest in 10 years according to my teacherS
ex1 = not a hard paper in general but many people had time management issue, hence perceived to be harder when it is actually pretty easy in general
yeah, i agree with that.

sidetracking, but do you know if the hsc exam is hard, it scales nicely?
coz my teacher told that in a year, i think 2003 or 2004 where it was 2 unit maths paper was long exam, (some found hard) and for that year, the average for 2 unit maths was 27%- which resulted nice scaling,
have u ever heard of this as well? (just checking coz i m not sure if this is reliable or not.)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lou071 said:
yeah, i agree with that.

coz my teacher told that in a year, i think 2003 or 2004 where it was 2 unit maths paper was long exam, (some found hard) and for that year, the average for 2 unit maths was 27%- which resulted nice scaling,
have u ever heard of this as well? (just checking coz i m not sure if this is reliable or not.)
scaling has got nothing to do with the difficulty of the exam. Rather, it has its relation with the calibre of th students undertaking the course. So therefore, regardless of how easy/hard 4 unit exam is, the scaling would still be high.

However, the diffculty of the exam does affect moderation though.

dp624

HSC
lou071 said:
yeah, i agree with that.

Not really, scaling doesn't depend on the paper but more likely the cohort. well yes a lower raw mark would correspond to a higher aligned mark. but scaling would stay pretty similar

lou071

HSC
N/A
dp624 said:
It was ok for me. Not hard. I can say that the +15 didn't help me, cos i finished in about 80 mins. Sat there going through several time and didn't pick up on the radians fail of mine. hopefully i state rank.

Umm Ext2 wasn't all that hard. I lost at least 1 mark legitimately (i.e. couldn't do it) and at least 4 by silly mistake. @ namu i didn't find it that hard. i don't tihnk i;ll get top 10 but prolly top 20 (too bad they only publish 10). with luck i can scrape it.

From what our connections say, top in 3u was 84/84 and for 4u it was 119 or 118/120
is it definitely right?
amazing to see that..

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
lou071 said:
is it definitely right?
amazing to see that..
for 3 unit, it should definitely be 83+, so there isn't much surprise there.

for 4 unit, i haven't done the paper so i wouldn't know. but 119 seems too high in my point of view considering my teachers' opinions.

dp624

HSC
lyounamu said:
for 3 unit, it should definitely be 83+, so there isn't much surprise there.

for 4 unit, i haven't done the paper so i wouldn't know. but 119 seems too high in my point of view considering my teachers' opinions.
But i trust our source. If 3u was 83/84 i would have topped it. So no there. Thus the max mark was 84.

Oh, and the person who topped 4u is bloody brilliant at it. I myslef would ahve gotten 119 if it wasn't for silly mistakes. So he would have gotten 118/119 easy. THe connection says its more likely to be 118 but.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)