Staying motivated. (1 Viewer)

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I'm doing pretty well, first in a few subjects, ranked relatively high in the rest (lowest would be =28/~140 in english) and I'm on track to get my desired ATAR. However, I feel that I'm losing motivation. The reason I was able to top the subjects i'm topping is that i was able to think that there were people ahead of me that I desperately wanted to beat. Now that there isn't, my drive to do well is gone - I'm still doing all the compulsory work, but I'm finding I'm having to force myself to sit down and do anything extra, whereas previously I would instinctively do it without even thinking about it. Yes, I realise that there should be motivation to keep my ranks... but there just isn't...

tl;dr How do I remotivate myself?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
I had this feeling once, had long discussions with 2011 HSC kids. But at the end of the day they told me if you focus on opponents (Opponent watching as they like to say), your performance will be hindered. They told me people are feeling the pinch right about now and they start to lose track of their work and when trials come, BAM.

The thing that drives Spiral is the knowledge that I will still be alive in 2013 (hopefully) and studying at Uni and meeting new humans which is the essence of life.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
I had this feeling once, had long discussions with 2011 HSC kids. But at the end of the day they told me if you focus on opponents (Opponent watching as they like to say), your performance will be hindered. They told me people are feeling the pinch right about now and they start to lose track of their work and when trials come, BAM.

The thing that drives Spiral is the knowledge that I will still be alive in 2013 (hopefully) and studying at Uni and meeting new humans which is the essence of life.
Yeah, I realise that focusing on opponents isn't the best approach to school (or anything for that matter), but i find it hard not to - the only reason i picked up my act at the beginning of year 11 and actually started doing anything more than the bare minimum to avoid getting a detention was because I wanted to beat someone. I'm still fairly motivated by the thought of getting into uni and whatnot but it's just not the same. I guess it's just something I'll have to sort out.

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC
Also, it probably doesn't help that I did much less study than I should've for a few recent assessments and still done really well - reinforcing the thought that's lingering in the back of my mind that I can get away with not studying...

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
That is not a good thought. That thought cost me dearly haha.

Aysce

HSC
Well I am currently trying to stay away from focusing on my competitors, since it does make me lose my confidence and makes me feel bad some times. Although, you should be looking from a perspective where:

1. The exam is your opponent.
2. Your own self is the enemy (ie. You are constantly battling with yourself to improve)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Anyway, it meant a lot to me when people reassured me the world wasn't about to end. So that really motivated me. Talk to peers. :)

enoilgam

HSC

Cant emphasise this enough - its ok to watch your opponents a little bit, but if you focus too much on it then it can be harmful (a person in my year used to watch the top guys and "emulate" what they did for study - as each person is different this is not a good idea). Also, as I have said before, the key to staying motivated in the day to day is setting small and achievable tasks (within reason, obviously the HSC is now getting more intense). By setting achievable tasks and reaching them, you will be able to keep your confidence up and henceforth your motivation.

asdfqwerty

HSC
Anybody here have any advice on how to NOT watch your opponents, considering that you are in bottom 20 for Advance English? I find it very hard to keep my eye away from the top people.

nahi11

HSC
Anybody here have any advice on how to NOT watch your opponents, considering that you are in bottom 20 for Advance English? I find it very hard to keep my eye away from the top people.
Im my opinion there is nothing wrong with it, and it is something that you cant prevent. I would just use it as motivation or a goal.

stereoheart

HSC
I feel really bad about myself when the thought of anyone else crosses my mind. I mean thinking about others who do the same subject etc. I always feel like everyone will beat me.

Anyone else know what I mean? Does it happen to anyone else?

Last edited:

jnney

lemon
HSC
I feel really bad about myself when the thought of anyone else crosses my mind.Anyone else know what I mean? Does it happen to anyone else?
Are you talking about crushes or other people beating you at school?

jnney

lemon
HSC
edited it so it makes more sense now!
Just try your best. Know that's all that you and anyone can ever ask you to do and nothing more. If you try really hard, and you don't get the results that you expect, then try again. Your efforts won't go to waste, because people get what they deserve.

Aysce

HSC
Just try your best. Know that's all that you and anyone can ever ask you to do and nothing more. If you try really hard, and you don't get the results that you expect, then try again. Your efforts won't go to waste, because people get what they deserve.
Wb jnney :p

This is very true. I've failed so many times when trying to top a certain subject - I'm not the brightest or most ~intellectual~ kid but hard work PAYS off and it took lots of effort and time to be able to accomplish this for the time being. I've felt like that stereo, for years but you have to realise that you or anyone is able to beat the top dogs as long as you have: EFFORT, RESILIENCE and INSPIRATION. These 3 elements are critical to any situation in life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)