Still Possible? (1 Viewer)

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
Hi people, My current aim is getting in to either Software Engineering at USYD or UNSW but i thoroughly regret my subject selections and if i get the ATAR around 90+ you think i could cope with Software Engineering at UNSW or USYD?

Subjects: Standard English, General Mathematics, IPT, SDD, ITVET

Should of Picked: Advanced English, Mathematics Extension 1, SDD, Physics, Chemistry

Really regretted my subject choices because back in year 10 i didn't know what degree i was pursuing and now i realised it's too late to change my subjects back in year 10 i did 5.3 maths so i should of done 3 unit :L but nothing i can do now. I was averaging 85-90% in maths in year 10 so i am good at maths.

So lets say i get into my first choice UNSW Software Engineering. I'll be prepared to learn 3 unit and some 4 unit topics in advance before uni starts. Would i be able to cope?

Thanks.

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Hey, I'm in a similar situation. I love IT and am aiming for B Information Tech at USYD or UNSW however my mathematics is not that good - so I chose 2U Maths.

To my horror, I realise that assumed knowledge for the courses mentioned (both mine and yours) is Mathematics Extension 1. I can see by your post that you also realise it's not a prerequisite, and are just asking whether you can cope or not.

My cousin did B Information Tech. With 2Unit and he is doing fine. Make sure you learn your calculus as software engineering sometimes requires calculations of maxima and minima results for business programs.

I'm pretty sure you can cope, but if you really want to do Software Engineering or computer science where maths is a bit more intense then what you have said is definitely do-able, try the bridging courses.

Last edited:

HAX0R

HSC
Just get a private tutor to tutor you 3 unit maths.

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
Yeah i was good at maths so i should be able to learn maths pretty quickly. I never thought i would need maths this much though back when i was choosing my subjects ah well.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
You could either take a bridging course that runs over a few weeks and in that time you are crammed with 3u - 4u work and applications to your university study. Bridging would be worthwhile but persist on with further mathematics once you enrolled for your degree. Also why is chemistry important for your degree?

ZonedOut

Bing bang diggiriggidong
HSC
Yeah i was good at maths so i should be able to learn maths pretty quickly. I never thought i would need maths this much though back when i was choosing my subjects ah well.
I know right? Didn't think IT had much to do with maths. Well it doesnt for the most part, unless we're talking about Computer Science or Programming.

probjer

HSC
Yes. According to UNSW handbook for software engineering you will be doing MATH1131/41 and MATH1231/41 which MX1 is assumed knowledge. Just do a bridging course or ask your teacher if you can change math classes (due to your future uni plans). No big deal.

xNoLiMiTz

HSC
I heard difference between MATH1131 and MATH1141 is few extra topics and harder questions in test but mostly same topics same for MATH1231/1241 it is really worth choosing the higher mathematics over the mathematics for better grades? Also which MATH did u choose at UNSW?

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
all engineering courses in most universities require a high level of maths and science as 'assumed knowledge'. this means that you are already assumed to know Mathematics, ex1, and ex2 in high school however they are not required for admission. So it is best to do as much math in high school that you can so that you are better prepared for your course in university. getting a headstart is no harm. :)

HSC2014

HSC
N/A
Should HAVE picked.

Perhaps you made the correct choice re English.
No need to be picky. "Should've" phonetically sounds like "should of" which is an easy mistake when typing without attention.

braintic

HSC
N/A
No need to be picky. "Should've" phonetically sounds like "should of" which is an easy mistake when typing without attention.
True. But sadly there are many people who don't realise it is wrong.

The one that really gets me is "If I had of (gone to school)", because not even "If I had have (gone to school)" is correct. It should be just "If I had (gone to school)".
This happens because many people (correctly) utter a contraction which doesn't look right when written down: I'd've.
What many people don't realise is that this stands for "(If) I would have", not "(If) I had have/of".

noodlesareyum

HSC
nahh shouldn't be an issue. there are people at my school that get 95+ with general maths, standard english, senior science and studies of religion. you can do it too! just do a bridging course during the long holiday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)