stock market correction (1 Viewer)

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
So how is it affecting you? While i was having my beauty sleep, the broker sold all my stock =/ 60% of capital down the drain.

What positions are you going to gain today?

is a roflcopter
HSC
'87 '97 '07

We"re All Going To Die And Be Unemployed

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
I was overexposed to uranium. But in the scheme of things, the fall was nothing. Will be looking to top up on quality stocks if random selling continues. US already rebounding as of typing.

Meads

Drummer Boy
HSC
I see the whole event as beneficial.

Several of my buy orders got picked up because all the share prices fell to the level I was looking for. Then by the end of the day they had all gained again.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Yep... popular stocks like Fortesque were so good to play these 2 days. And then, there're still some bargains floating around.

Not to mention CGJ is nearly at the level of its original 15.25 bid. Come on.... 15.25 again?

Last edited:

Raginsheep

HSC
For someone looking to get into some share trading and the like, wheres a good place to start?

ASX?

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
many stop losses triggered in my portfolio. was margin call mania which was bad news :( unfortunately those stop losses were too low anyway. looking to build capital up by surfing the index trades lol. oh well. market will take a few weeks to recover me thinks. ftse has fallen quite a bit since it opened today. it is probably a good idea to wait and keep your cash to see where they market goes imo. that is what most analysts are suggesting.

lesson of the day, always hedge with shorts in times like these.

Last edited:

Rafy

Retired
HSC
Uni Grad
What's the fuss about?
The market fell almost 10% during the middle of last year.

iamverystupid

HSC
Agreed.
Declines of around 3% happens pretty much once every year. Seems to be all media hype to me.

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
Why is tacky so agro man??? One of the people who punted on fundamentals and bought MBP or something?

Anyway, I love gambling so I'll gamble with you. I bet you Summit will hit $7 by next year.

and yea... i agree there's no big fuss... said that in last post

ND

HSC
Omnidragon said:
Why is tacky so agro man??? One of the people who punted on fundamentals and bought MBP or something?
I think he's just angry because he couldn't get a job at a real IB.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
'ib wannabe bullshit' aside, trading through losses in the stock market does teach you a few things. it is fun, and it can be profitable. So i dont see why are you so aggressive towards people with a hobby?

is a roflcopter
HSC
on the issue of gambling
i find that poker and the stock market share many similarities
except that poker is more fun

Rorix

HSC
Newbie said:
on the issue of gambling
i find that poker and the stock market share many similarities
except that poker is more fun
With a lot of experience in both, I wouldn't agree. Poker hands aren't really comparable to stocks in the sense that poker hands have dynamic value based on the incomplete information from other players, and its possible to win the pot (cf get cash flows) without ever showing down (i.e. completing information). Also, the 'price' one pays for a hand is uncertain, unlike the market.

While information in the stock market is incomplete, its not in the sense of an incomplete information game. ALso, the stock market is run by demand/supply of multiple participants..imo the stock market is most comparable to sports/track betting (which is fitting since sports betting is essentially the buying of a derivative priced based on subjective probablilites).

imo stock market is boring except for the thrill of watching thousands of dollars fluctuate before you.
poker is fun except if you play it to actually earn an income (.e.g. 4 tabling 5/T or 10/20 online), it gets boring very quickly.
Sports betting is also great fun (obviously you have to like the sport) but its pretty hard to beat reliably in liquid markets).

And I think that was the most finance-geeky post one has ever made about sports betting or poker.

is a roflcopter
HSC
cards in hand = fundamentals
the next five cards represent the randomness that can occur when you lose rockets to 2/7 offsuit or AMI finding that copper last year and hitting $10

stock prices are guesses on the future prospects of the company
essentially a punt on what two cards they are holding. big proforma numbers, optimistic mining prospects and AGMs at the Westin represent shit talking on the table. (TONY G STYLE, youtube him he is orsm)

it is possible to 'win' in the stockmarket as long as someone else is convinced that your investment rationale is correct and they stand to gain by completing your sell order. This may occur regardless of the 'true' fundamentals (or their two cards) so information completion is not necessary.

i also think options and betting strategies in poker share similarities

breaking it down to basics, the stockmarket and poker involve 2 or more people taking guesses on the outcome a game, except starcity is open 24 hours 7 days and stockmarkets close for weekends.

I agree theres heaps of similarities between sports betting and the stockmarket.
like manchester united cheating liverpool on the weekend. damn bastards

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
i disagree but I'm too dumb to argue against you

anyway, a lot of your arguments are a long bow to draw. sounds good in theory only

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Newbie said:
cards in hand = fundamentals
the next five cards represent the randomness that can occur when you lose rockets to 2/7 offsuit or AMI finding that copper last year and hitting $10

stock prices are guesses on the future prospects of the company
essentially a punt on what two cards they are holding. big proforma numbers, optimistic mining prospects and AGMs at the Westin represent shit talking on the table. (TONY G STYLE, youtube him he is orsm)

it is possible to 'win' in the stockmarket as long as someone else is convinced that your investment rationale is correct and they stand to gain by completing your sell order. This may occur regardless of the 'true' fundamentals (or their two cards) so information completion is not necessary.

i also think options and betting strategies in poker share similarities

breaking it down to basics, the stockmarket and poker involve 2 or more people taking guesses on the outcome a game, except starcity is open 24 hours 7 days and stockmarkets close for weekends.

I agree theres heaps of similarities between sports betting and the stockmarket.
like manchester united cheating liverpool on the weekend. damn bastards
stock markets are open 24/7. just trade overseas.

and omnidragon, i thought you were a FI kinda guy?

Omnidragon

Devil
HSC
Uni Grad
nah, the intention was never to do trading. currently watching dow with interests... kicking myself not buying pdn at 7.50

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)