story names (1 Viewer)

*Flutterby*

Hey all :D
well i dunno about you, but i think that hardest thing at the moment is NAMING MY PIECE. :mad: I mean it's one thing to get there and write all this stuff and come up with a semblence of a story that ur slightly happy with and then u have to name the friggin thing :chainsaw: lol. i m SOOOO lost
wat do u think?

STALDER

Hey, My advice to you just wait untill something hits you...it will happen, It happened for me and you'll just think OMG why did I not think of that before...All the best I hope it hits you before August...lol

*Flutterby*

lol thanks i hope so too if not then im well im in trouble!! its due on t he same day as i have drama hsc so im working my ass off to finish early. ive even finished my first logbook of research!

zerzillia

i think the easiest thing for me was naming it. the hardest is writing and editing is second hardest (tho i'm suppose to be good at it.) god knows what happened.

i say, good luck and i hope one day you'll have a title you like. dont think complex, think about the overal message you're sending out. i see those examplar major works doesnt involve really weird titles but really philosophical titles.

kleptomaniac

HSC
And don't bypass the simple sounding ones! Mine's 'Just Like Dad'- it sounds like the name of a kid's book, but once you read the actual story, it fits

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by *Flutterby*
THANKS GUYS! I GOT IT! it's
"the price to pay for shattered dreams"
sounds nice, but it doesnt exactly grab or flow off the tongue. just an observation.

400miles

it doesnt have to. the work is the most important bit and the name is part of the concept of the whole story so yeh
I disagree... I think the name is vital to your piece and any writing piece. I know that a huge thing for me is titles whether it's me making them up or me reading something... your title has to be good, it's as important as the rest of the story I reckon...

I think I have to agree with Asylum as well your name doesnt really seem to flow nicely...
it also seems a bit ambiguous...
"the price to pay for shattered dreams"
surely shattered dreams is the price you pay.. not something you have to pay a price for, like having shattered dreams is wrong... I don't know, I guess, also, I haven't read your piece so I can't judge. This is just my opinion!! It doesn't really matter because from what you've said you seem to be finished like 4 drafts so I'm sure you'll have plenty of time to perfect the name:D

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
it doesnt have to. the work is the most important bit and the name is part of the concept of the whole story so yeh
thats a big understatement, a good title captures the marker/reader and is essential in the success of your story.

*Flutterby*

im referring to the title of my work being a concept of the overall plot.
other then that it is "Her shattered dreams" but im not losing sleep over it

mayhemily

HSC
hey fluttterby I like your story name! I'd definitely interested in reading on. And i think that it it is very rhythmic, especially with the use of the 'p' allit. Yeah!

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i still dont have a title, but have a completed major work

*Flutterby*

thanks

Originally posted by mayhemily
hey fluttterby I like your story name! I'd definitely interested in reading on. And i think that it it is very rhythmic, especially with the use of the 'p' allit. Yeah!
thank u :D i keep changing it.. either

the price she paid for shattered dreams

or

Her shattered dreams

wat u guys think???

asha_ramirez

HSC
Re: thanks

thank u :D i keep changing it.. either

the price she paid for shattered dreams

or

Her shattered dreams

wat u guys think???
I don't want to be derogatory towards your creativity... because it's not my place, but those titles seem to display a sort of cliched view point. Instead of personifying someone in the title why not just call it .. Shattered Dreams. The title may be the MOST important factor in your major work; It is the first thing the markers see; it forms something in their mind's regardless of the story that follows - a sort of blind expectation [judging a book by its cover]. That's not to say that ALL is lost if you don't have a title you're entirely comfortable with, but it is important, and just make sure it reflects the passion you have for your work; and that you're not looking for some sweeping, well recognised, philosophical, or metaphorical title to woo the markers.

But I could just be talking out of my ass... Haha.
Good luck hunny!

*Flutterby*

thnx but i dunno shattered dreams just doesnt suit me.. it doesnt sit right kinda thing
*sighs* wen the hell will i get this?

asha_ramirez

HSC
As impractical as it is, the answer will probably come to you right near the end of the work... or at least near the deadline!!!

For my the title was easy, my story is writen in the first person so I called it her name 'Lily'. But that's just because I had always called it that [I began agggggess ago... which doesn't mean I'm any closer to finishing!!]

Sit yourself down, free of any distractions, read over your story; and try to connect with it as a reader, rather than as a writer... I guarantee it will speak something to you.

As with anything it will happen with time, the more you focus on it, the more you'll become frustrated that you can't name it.

Just chill out and eat some chocolate [or drink beer... whatever!] and it will come to you =)

bitchymcbitch

Uni Bum
HSC
i personally dont like the shattered dreams title, it does sound cliched, but yeah i dunno what im talking about so..

relax and it will come to you.. im thinking of changing mine, i dunno..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)