Stress: Legitimate excuse for misadventure? (1 Viewer)

China Doll

HSC
Do you guys believe that stress is really a legitimate excuse for applying for misadventure?

I am aware that you really ought to be quite ill in order to successfully apply for misadventure, however if you were quite stressed to the degree where you produced consistent non-attempts in your exams, would there be any grounds to apply for misadventure?

I suppose your reasons wouldn't really be valid unless you had some sort of proven mental disorder am I right? Let me know what you guys think.

HSC
no.. most people get stressed i seriously doubt that they will give you misadventure

learn to deal with it
it will be a good life lesson

China Doll

HSC
I'm not in the position myself, rather a very close friend of mine, who is normally such a confident student! in any case the other week he decided not to complete two of his three prescribed essays in english advanced and afterwards he was understandably quite upset. I'm not sure what the teachers recommended he do, but a few days ago he attended his modern history exam and pulled a non-attempt. He's pretty upset - however I don't know what sort of excuse he'd like to pull in order to get away with that. I assume they're pretty strict on that sort of thing.

SimonLee13

HSC
So somebody you know, or yourself, has been pulling "non-attempts" at the HSC? God - everyone is is capable of going through it, why aren't isn't he?

What exactly was he so upset about?

Not doing the paper but attending it is probably the worst thing you can do.

Last edited:

China Doll

HSC
I'm not suggesting that the HSC is necessarily so difficult that you shouldn't be able to at least attempt your paper, i agree that the exams have been structured in such a way that every student in NSW can complete their papers. I myself don't believe that I necessarily wowed em in english, to tell you the truth it was like 'amateur hour' - my essays were perhaps a little above mediocre, however this student in question is pretty profound. A really verbose and out-there doctor type - he wanted to go and do medicine at uni but i suppose now that's a bit out of the question. In any case what i'm interested in knowing is, what actually constitutes a LEGITIMATE excuse for illness / misadventure?
As far as I know, he hasn't seen a doctor as yet.
My principal's pretty choked up because he's within the top 3 or 5 i think in his every subject.

China Doll

HSC
I know! He would have been better off not attending - i don't do modern myself but apparently he sat there for 2 hours before leaving an hour early and he didn't even mark his paper!

HSC
China Doll said:
I know! He would have been better off not attending - i don't do modern myself but apparently he sat there for 2 hours before leaving an hour early and he didn't even mark his paper!
A medical condition, emotional distress (i.e. as serious as a death in the family), I don't think stress counts

sleepplease

HSC
No, what you are describing sounds as though he has had some sort of breakdown. Get him to go and see a doctor now. Why the fuck aren't his parents concerned? He needs to be seeing a doctor and probably a counsellor - his behaviour is very very abnormal for someone of his (seeming) intelligence. Who cares about the hsc, what about his emotional well being?

China Doll

HSC
That sounds like a very sensible idea. I don't know that anybody has DIED, but it is altogether very concerning that a student as capable as he is doing this - at the moment he's a little hard to talk to, and he's having difficulty accepting that perhaps he genuinely has grounds for misadventure - all they can say is no! in any case, i have suggested that it's worth the trouble of finding out and some of my teachers have been in contact with his parents. thank you for your advice!

04er

HSC
Maybe if the stress caused you physical pain (e.g. back pain), or as someone suggested, was ancillary to an identifiable mental disease.

K8i454

HSC
maybe if he has just cracked like that and changed so fast there could be something else going on behind all of the stress... changing behaviours, low self esteem, constant sadness.... depression? although everyone gets down in the dumps, if its gone this far to disrupt his life to such a degree ....

prehaps he should get misadventure...?

studentcheese

HSC
Stress could be counted as misadventure, but I don't think they'd accept that unless the stress caused something like chest pain.

You could get your friend to try because it might work - I have a family friend who used hunger as an excuse for misadventure to get into selective (year 6) and it worked. LOL.

henry08

HSC
N/A
Not writing 2/3 English essays, attending but not attempting modern history exam... your freinds HSC is screwed.

layzeehbum

HSC
that would be unfair to other students who also have to deal with their stress... but idk... it's not like they gonna get a second chance to redo the test rite? since they gonna get a mark from their moderated trial mark......

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
China Doll said:
Do you guys believe that stress is really a legitimate excuse for applying for misadventure?

I am aware that you really ought to be quite ill in order to successfully apply for misadventure, however if you were quite stressed to the degree where you produced consistent non-attempts in your exams, would there be any grounds to apply for misadventure?

I suppose your reasons wouldn't really be valid unless you had some sort of proven mental disorder am I right? Let me know what you guys think.
NO this is the biggest bullshit claim out we all have stress deal with it.

fucking soft cunts who even consider this.

this prick is just NA'ing because he doesn't care anymore or he's not really all that smart and can't handle the pressure placed on him by his ranking.

If someone told me they applied for misadventure for some shit excuse i would seriously punch them in the face.

You've all known what was coming at this time of the year & at the end of the day shit happens... unless a direct family member has just died or you are seriously medically unfit to sit the exam like throwing up halfway through or something there is no excuse, not this common cold bullshit.

It's like all those bastard who go and get a doctors certificate foor some absolutley piss poor excuse in order to not sit the exam and really on their ranking to carry them through.

Everyone has hardship in there lives and some more than others, i see morons getting all stressed over inconsequential garbage so trivial it is barely worth consideration...at the end of the day no matter what your going through or how shit your life is someone has it worse.

If this is the worst thing this kid has ever experienced in his short life stress wise i really feel for him...not, here's a tip, tell him to grow a pair and sit down and put out, he either wants it or he doesn't he's only failing himself at the end of the day.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Get him to see a doctor and find out what is causing this - if he hasn't had trouble in exams before then there mightn't be a lot that can be done (but then again stress can affect different people in different ways).

Stress has been given as misadventure in extreme cases in the past - I just don't know all the circumstances in the couple of cases where it has happened at my school. I do know one student disappeared for three days in Stuvac due to the stress of the HSC and he got misadventure (he simply went to a motel iabout 300 kms from Sydney but no one - family, friends, neighbours etc knew where he was or why he took off).

Not attempting questions could be signs of a breakdown in which case I would expect him to get a misadventure - but he needs to get diagnosed and the paper work done otherwise he will miss out.

If he has had this sort of problem before in school exam situations then the school should already have applied for special provisions (as again happened to a student I have taught and she got to sit her exams at home and take breaks whenever she needed them - she was supervised by an approved BOS person and she couldn't study when taking a break but she could make a cup of tea and just chat with the supervisor - she still only had the set three hours for each exam).

HSC
hopethisworks said:
harden the fuck up?
I agree..

We all have stress to deal with it is a part of the HSC some of us can take it better then others.

EDIT: if my friend could sit her exam concussed, he can do it stressed

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)