Stress: Legitimate excuse for misadventure? (1 Viewer)

nick3157

Not Actually A Member
HSC
even if he doesnt get misadventure its not a complete disaster is it? i thought that if there was a big discrepency between exam performance and assessment performance (which there is obviously going to be in his case), they marked the paper in a special category or something? or is that rule only designed to protect the rest of his class from his poor exam mark? i dunno.

Aaron.Judd

HSC
nick3157 said:
even if he doesnt get misadventure its not a complete disaster is it? i thought that if there was a big discrepency between exam performance and assessment performance (which there is obviously going to be in his case), they marked the paper in a special category or something? or is that rule only designed to protect the rest of his class from his poor exam mark? i dunno.
I've never heard of that.

Livie---!!

HSC
Nope thats just stupid. Stress is no excuse for misadventure. EVERYBODY stresses. Too bad for your friend.

hayleyelyah1

HSC
"Stress" isn’t a stupid nor a non-legitimate excuse for a misadventure. Studies have shown prolonged stress can result in chronic headaches, lack of sleep and the weakening of the immune system which lowers the bodies ability to fight off illness and infection-such as glandular fever. This in turn, alters your ability to perform to your full potential; with your hsc mark suffering in the process. Sure, little amounts of stress is a shitty excuse for misadventure, but when it effects your body and mental capability to such an extent that prolonged and chronic stress does, it is a legitimate excuse.

obimoshman1234

the one and only
HSC
i know someone who did there modern exam and didnt answer the essay. However they had apparently warned supervisors that she wasnt feeling well apparently had an anxiety attack and i think she is eligible for misadventure or something

HSC
Well, I had a complete freak out for modern and left out one of the essays. I was crying before the exam and the night before and as a result I couldn't sleep. There was also the added factor that my grandma had a stroke the day before. The doctor just wrote down I had chronic and acute anxiety. I'm pretty sure they will accept it considering I was first ranked - you don't got from 95 to 70 without something going wrong. The supervisors also wrote on my form that i was agitated and such...

Haha, yes that was me obi :]

Last edited:

Hagaren

The Fresh Prince
HSC
hayleyelyah1 said:
"Stress" isn’t a stupid nor a non-legitimate excuse for a misadventure. Studies have shown prolonged stress can result in chronic headaches, lack of sleep and the weakening of the immune system which lowers the bodies ability to fight off illness and infection-such as glandular fever. This in turn, alters your ability to perform to your full potential; with your hsc mark suffering in the process. Sure, little amounts of stress is a shitty excuse for misadventure, but when it effects your body and mental capability to such an extent that prolonged and chronic stress does, it is a legitimate excuse.

yes. it. is.

nisseltaria

HSC
Stress is part of the universal experience of students, if you feel no stress during a major examination period there is probably something biologically or psychologically wrong with you. Up to a point anxiety can even boost performance. However it can also be a devastating and debilitating condition, requiring medical and psychiatric care. The difference between "normal" and pathological stress is not the degree of the trigger, it is the degree of the response.

Clearly if an intelligent student begins to non-attempt partway through their second exam and continues to do so throughout the examination period, their response to the stressor is far from typical. No student who cares enough about their school marks enough to consistently achive top five rankings would plan to sit in an exam room for two hours without even marking the paper. Whether or not the Board of Studies considers this wothy of misadventure, the student in question needs help.

Anti-anxiety medication does not exist because some people are "pussies". It exists because some people suffer from neurochemical or hormonal imbalances leading to ordinary stress becoming completely debilitating. Therapists do not exist because some people "fail at life". They exist to enable people to move past psychological barriers and help them to enjoy their lives as much as others do naturally.

L-esky

HSC
I'm applying for misadventure and my doctor wrote stuff on my form about me being stressed, anxious and worried. My mum was hit by a car and broke both legs a little over a week before exams and my school's acting principal seems to think I stand a high chance of being granted special consideration on the grounds of stress due to this all happening so close to exam time.
I think stress can be a legitimate excuse for misadeventure, if you've got another reason to back it up with, like an accident involving a family member, the death of a close friend or a prolonged illness being suffered by yourself or someone close.

China Doll

HSC
Though I haven't spoken to my friend in question for a few days now, I am aware that he is clearly quite upset (somewhat an understatement considering the circumstances). I certain that many people have recommended that he speak to a counsellor, however for SOME reason he seems quite reluctant to apply for misadventure. Ironically, he was actually selected earlier in the year by several of his teachers to attend stress management classes run by UTS - he politely declined because he didn't feel he was stressed! I don't know whether anything significant has occurred within his family recently because as I mentioned, I haven't been able to speak to him for some time now.

Fortunately for me, he only takes one of my classes, so if he weren't to successfully attain misadventure, I don't think it would necessarily affect my mark ... I know that sounds a little bit selfish, but I read somebody's post earlier and I had to consider it, taking into account that he ranks within the top 3-5 in his subjects. In any case, i'm very grateful to all of you for contributing and for sharing your thoughts with me as well as some particularly helpful advice. Here's hoping that he manages to resolve whatever issues are plaguing him at the moment - I'd like to encourage him to speak to someone who could help + fingers cross'd he decides to apply for misad.! Once again, thank you to all of you for sharing your thoughts!
Cheers

HSC
L-esky said:
I'm applying for misadventure and my doctor wrote stuff on my form about me being stressed, anxious and worried. My mum was hit by a car and broke both legs a little over a week before exams and my school's acting principal seems to think I stand a high chance of being granted special consideration on the grounds of stress due to this all happening so close to exam time.
I think stress can be a legitimate excuse for misadeventure, if you've got another reason to back it up with, like an accident involving a family member, the death of a close friend or a prolonged illness being suffered by yourself or someone close.
Theres a difference though between the kind of stress that you're experiencing, which has a negative effect upon your exams, and stressing because of the exams themselves.

HSC
yeah, exactly, everyone is stressing some just deal with it and move on rather then letting it stop us from preforming

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)