stress relief (1 Viewer)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I was wondering what you guys think the best methods (both quick solutions and long term ones) for calming and stress relief are. I've tried a few things but none seem to work very well.

I'm a compulsive worrier and prone to anxiety attacks, so it does affect my uni/work/social life a great deal. I'd love to just be "normal" so I can go on with my life without the paralysis of constant anxiety.

AlleyCat

Singing me and Julio
HSC
lundy do you exercise regularly?
find some form of exercise you enjoy and do it a few times a week.
also, i find that (if you can afford it) accupuncture and massage really work.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I walk/swim a lot. Although during these holidays I've slacked off a bit.

Last edited:

nataliie

HSC
have u tried aroma therapy? i haven't tried it, but i've read in magazines and books that it does help stress relief. e.g. peppermint oil is supposed to help clear ur brain and help it work better. you might like to try that. :)

alby

cool duckie
HSC
walking
excersise
music (stuff you like, anything that makes you feel better - eg. lovey dovey songs when you're in the middle of a breakup doesnt work..pick something relevant, something that wont get/keep you down)
yoga/meditation (classes or just following the books/dvd you can buy or hire)
writing it down (diary)
talking to friends, family, people at work..anyone you're close to, or even not so close to (whatever works best for you)

basically anything to get it out of your head/off your chest or take your mind off it. try different things, see what works for you

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Thanks guys, appreciate your help.

Komaticom: encouraging domestic violence. shame on you.

Ranger Stacie

hollaback girl
HSC
either talking it out or going for a run is good
as for long term solutions i havent found one yet unfortunately. im a compulsive stressaholic as well

Undertoad

HSC
I suffer from stress badly too even though i get a lot of exercise. Recently i have found that surfing helps me more than any other sport so maybe it's a matter of finding something that personally works for you.

alby

cool duckie
HSC
stacie: if you dont mind writing for stuff other than uni work, try a diary. it lets you get out whatever's on your mind. you can look back at it later on, which can help you see situations (if they're still bothering you/come up again) from a different angle, and work out how to cope/deal with it (not sure how to explain it exactly, hope you get what i mean...but it worked for me when i was really down in year 8-9)

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
ok lundy. i am the queen of stress. we can reign together. but i have chronic stress problems resulting in back and neck problems (muscular) and tension headaches among other things. i am even suffering stress now, and i am on holidays and havent even started uni and i dont think im even nervous about it. but anyway. sooooo annoying
short-term ive got nothing. when im stressed i have huge headaches for a week-long or even more, so i really don't want to listen to music or do anything at all. although i exercise regularly.
my doctor trys to tell me to just 'relax' but really, its kinda impossible.
nurofen plus works a tiny bit with the headaches but this is only very short term, and if i use them too often (like 3 days in a row) theyre effects are non-existant. theres also some form of panadine which literally knocks you out. i wouldnt recommend it unless you are dying and want to go in a coma for a little while

i also do physio but this is just trying to treat the symptoms rather than the cause.

long term - i find that executive B vitamins DO help although im normally skeptical of vitamins. however i tend to only take these as a last resort because
a) they are fucking huge
b) they taste like sewerage
c) i don't like taking anything for...well, anything

but i have noticed that they do help, whether it is psychological or not, i don't know. give them a go anyway. there's also this stuff called "bach rescue remedy' spray. its kinda in the bullivants section (we sell it at work) and i heard its pretty good, although i havent tried it myself

ok
thats all i can offer you. hope you can chill out :)

Lundy

Banned
HSC
Yeah I'm considering looking at vitamins/herbal remedies. My problem isn't so much stress as anxiety. If that makes sense.

melimoo

knows how to rave
HSC
Lundy said:
Yeah I'm considering looking at vitamins/herbal remedies. My problem isn't so much stress as anxiety. If that makes sense.
it makes a little sense
i think i understand. i don't think im anxious
i think that the B vitamins would help with anxiety too, but there is possibly one better, but i can't think of it right now. go into your pharmacy or vitamin store/whatever and ask them. they'll be able to tell you.

Lundy

Banned
HSC
I've tried chinese herbal medicine before but I didn't stay on it long enough for it to have much of an effect. It tasted horrible :/

kaylz

HSC
eastern medicine - acupuncture is the answer. to everything. i go to this guy and he's a miracle worker. stress, allergies, pain, headaches - everything. he does a pulse reading and can tell from there whether you have what they call 'syndromes' or imbalances in any of your organs, which are all directly linked to certain emotions. I, for instance, had stress and anger (spleen and something else?) levels through the ceiling when my grandmother was in town, but he did his thing and it really truly did help. also i used to get terrible headaches, like clockwork, at 11 am each day. a pin here, a moxa thing there and POOF. gone.

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
kaylz said:
eastern medicine - acupuncture is the answer. to everything. i go to this guy and he's a miracle worker. stress, allergies, pain, headaches - everything. he does a pulse reading and can tell from there whether you have what they call 'syndromes' or imbalances in any of your organs, which are all directly linked to certain emotions. I, for instance, had stress and anger (spleen and something else?) levels through the ceiling when my grandmother was in town, but he did his thing and it really truly did help. also i used to get terrible headaches, like clockwork, at 11 am each day. a pin here, a moxa thing there and POOF. gone.
you're under-sexed

kaylz

HSC
your mum is.

EDIT: pot calling the kettle black, don't you think braddles?

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
kaylz said:
your mum is.

EDIT: pot calling the kettle black, don't you think braddles?
sif you're blek

kekeke, i dont think. :/

kaylz

HSC
i'm seventeen. you're now nineteen. i have an excuse to be "black"

braad

so dead yeah?
HSC
kaylz said:
i'm seventeen. you're now nineteen. i have an excuse to be "black"
really?

and i dont?

actually, im sure you'll start saying crap, so maybe i shouldnt keep going

kaylz

HSC
i think that's what i was getting at, yes.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)