Stressed about General Maths (1 Viewer)

ekat

HSC
Hi Guys,

I got back my General Maths exams and I'm super disappointed with my mark especially because I studied so hard for it. I know that I wasn't the only one that was expecting to do better but I was hoping to improve my mark from 75% but instead went to 65%. I really need an ATAR over 90 and I'm willing to do anything to do better in General Maths. Is there any hope of me getting a mark above 80 in General? Is it going to completely stuff up my ATAR?

Any advice is appreciated :eek:

ekat

HSC
Hey :)

I'm going by the presumption that your exam did not take a significant proportion of your internals (usually they have a 15-25% weighting at this stage). If that's the case, you can definitely bounce mark and achieve a final HSC mark of 80. Better yet, why not aim for a result in the 90s for maths? Considering how General Maths scales quite poorly, you should maximise your mark, thereby increasing your chance of maximising your ATAR. Sometimes, it's not only about studying hard; but also smart. Did you do past papers in timed conditions? Did you focus on doing on hard questions rather than pumping out easy ones which doesn't have much benefit? Have you become proficient at deciphering wordy questions for General?

Good luck!
Hi thankyou so much for your reply!
For a half-yearly it was actually worth 30% but later 15% when it comes to ATAR. I did do a lot of past papers however doing them in timed conditions is probably a better idea. Thankyou for all your advice it was honestly super helpful. 90's would definitely be ideal so I definitely need as many marks as possible :eek:

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
Hi Guys,

I got back my General Maths exams and I'm super disappointed with my mark especially because I studied so hard for it. I know that I wasn't the only one that was expecting to do better but I was hoping to improve my mark from 75% but instead went to 65%. I really need an ATAR over 90 and I'm willing to do anything to do better in General Maths. Is there any hope of me getting a mark above 80 in General? Is it going to completely stuff up my ATAR?

Any advice is appreciated :eek:
Figure out what you are doing wrong and put things into perspective is all i can say. Don't just learn off the textbook, do past papers in timed conditions and ask your teacher to explain things that you don't know. Also make sure that you know your content on a conceptual level and not just by memorization.

You have plenty of time to improve and maximize your general math mark and an ATAR of over 90 is definitely possible with hard work

iirc i got below 70% in every general math exam, including my trials and got an 84 General Math HSC mark

ekat

HSC
Figure out what you are doing wrong and put things into perspective is all i can say. Don't just learn off the textbook, do past papers in timed conditions and ask your teacher to explain things that you don't know. Also make sure that you know your content on a conceptual level and not just by memorization.

You have plenty of time to improve and maximize your general math mark and an ATAR of over 90 is definitely possible with hard work

iirc i got below 70% in every general math exam, including my trials and got an 84 General Math HSC mark
Thankyou I really appreciate your advice I'm definitely going to try and improve :)

BlueLucario

Star-Lord
HSC
Don't worry you can improve! :) I just did my exam last week, and the problem I found was time management (our exam had a tonne of questions), so what I'm going to do is like hawkrider said is do past papers in exam conditions.

ekat

HSC
Don't worry you can improve! :) I just did my exam last week, and the problem I found was time management (our exam had a tonne of questions), so what I'm going to do is like hawkrider said is do past papers in exam conditions.
Thankyou for the reply I'm definitely going to do thing differently next time in preparation :)

Lalaloop

HSC
Hey Ekat,

Don't worry about it- there's always room to improve until the very final moment of the HSC. Of course you have hope of getting above 80 for General and an above 90 ATAR. If you are ready to put in the hard work, effort and determination to succeed- I'm sure you're on your way to getting whatever you want. :)

In a maths perspective- always think "Smart study, hard study". Re-evaluate your study techniques and make sure you are up to date with the classwork and be ahead :) Definitely looking forward to hear some awesome results from you! :) GOOD LUCK!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankyou for the reply I'm definitely going to do thing differently next time in preparation :)
I know people who failed the general maths trial and still got a strong band 5. You've still got hope!

ekat

HSC
Hey Ekat,

Don't worry about it- there's always room to improve until the very final moment of the HSC. Of course you have hope of getting above 80 for General and an above 90 ATAR. If you are ready to put in the hard work, effort and determination to succeed- I'm sure you're on your way to getting whatever you want. :)

In a maths perspective- always think "Smart study, hard study". Re-evaluate your study techniques and make sure you are up to date with the classwork and be ahead :) Definitely looking forward to hear some awesome results from you! :) GOOD LUCK!
Hi thankyou so so much for your help and advice I truly appreciate it

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
No actually its my fault I can't count I do 11 units and I forgot to include SOR 1 unit on my signature!
Which textbook are you using?

(Counting is difficult)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)