strictly ballroom (1 Viewer)

goodgood

HSC
can anyone give my any info on strictly ballroom notes etc thanxs it will be appreciated. and if you can reply before the 23rd of oct thats when i need to know about it.

Aaron06

To Rid The Disease
HSC
well...

Where to starttt.. =P

it's directed by Baz Lurhman =p

World of Ballroom Dancing

Ballroom dancing is glamous but it's contrasted with shirley hastings (with over the top make up) screaming and the evil villian barry fife (who is lit from the bottom to create shadows and horn like eyebrows) - Dance Federation

Scott Hastings

Scott Hastings; Australian - which is shown by his aussie accent and singlet when he dances infront ofthe mirror. Also a quote "Oh get off it will ya"
Passionate - the close ups on his face as he dances

Fran

Fran (doesn't give her last name sadly); More natural in the movie. Comes from a spanish community. She lives in a stereotypical migrant house and the setting of where she lives (which is near train tracks) shows she is living on the otherside of the tracks. Again shows her world is contrasted with the artificial world of ballroom dancing.

At the start Fran is unattractive (harsh light to emphasize her blemishes) and awkward (close ups on her feet). But as time goes on and she dances with Scott, her confidence grows. With this her appearance gets more better (softer light and more makeup to hide blemishes.

Barry Fife

Barry fife being the corrupted villian (who is lit from the bottom to create shadows and horn like eyebrows), President of the Dance Federation.
Argues that if people create steps, they wouldn't be able to teach.
Gets defeated by Fran and Scott Hastings when everyone claps for them (started by his farther forgot his name. Lol) Then his friend, forgot his name aswell (scotts dancing teacher) started clapping and walked away, As he walks away a shadow appears over Barry symbolising his lonliness and he falls over with the trophy showing no one cares no more. Close up of people jumping the barrier;- Barrier symbolising the bounderies of the barrier. Then a estsblishment shot over everyone to show they all like it and are happy. =P

Thats what I got in the top of my head.

If people would like to add anymore please feel free to add. Especially if they have to restate what I have said. Lol

goodgood

HSC
do you know an easy related text i can use for strictly ballroom?

caffjj

HSC
ahhh..i need help toooo.......
what are the themes/ideas?
i never got them...
apart from the comformity vs individuality
I had real vs unreal..but my teacher said it was wrong...>.<

can someone please help??ty

HunTeR FoB

HSC
N/A
Well,

Shirley Hastings can be noted as the Over the top Flamboyant mother of Scott Hastings, who seems to care about winning the Pan Pacifics, even if it meant dancing with KEs Lendall and not her husband, this is a sudden revelation in the movie.

Film Techniques such as Low Angle Shot and High angle shot help to over emphasise her power over some individuals, which brings up the theme of Power and Authority and how it is excercised within her own rights.

The beginning of the film sees her screaming out "Go number 100", as if 100 was the perfect number, also that Scott is number 100.

The themes:

Contrasting Worlds: The real world, and the world of ballroom dancing, and what is seen as fake.

Power and Authority: The idea of certain individuals having more power over others.

Conformity and Rebellion: Where some individuals hate a form of lifestyle causing them to rebel, or some who simply conform with the rules and regulations.

mahakamil

HSC
well...

Where to starttt.. =P

it's directed by Baz Lurhman =p

World of Ballroom Dancing

Ballroom dancing is glamous but it's contrasted with shirley hastings (with over the top make up) screaming and the evil villian barry fife (who is lit from the bottom to create shadows and horn like eyebrows) - Dance Federation

Scott Hastings

Scott Hastings; Australian - which is shown by his aussie accent and singlet when he dances infront ofthe mirror. Also a quote "Oh get off it will ya"
Passionate - the close ups on his face as he dances

Fran

Fran (doesn't give her last name sadly); More natural in the movie. Comes from a spanish community. She lives in a stereotypical migrant house and the setting of where she lives (which is near train tracks) shows she is living on the otherside of the tracks. Again shows her world is contrasted with the artificial world of ballroom dancing.

At the start Fran is unattractive (harsh light to emphasize her blemishes) and awkward (close ups on her feet). But as time goes on and she dances with Scott, her confidence grows. With this her appearance gets more better (softer light and more makeup to hide blemishes.

Barry Fife

Barry fife being the corrupted villian (who is lit from the bottom to create shadows and horn like eyebrows), President of the Dance Federation.
Argues that if people create steps, they wouldn't be able to teach.
Gets defeated by Fran and Scott Hastings when everyone claps for them (started by his farther forgot his name. Lol) Then his friend, forgot his name aswell (scotts dancing teacher) started clapping and walked away, As he walks away a shadow appears over Barry symbolising his lonliness and he falls over with the trophy showing no one cares no more. Close up of people jumping the barrier;- Barrier symbolising the bounderies of the barrier. Then a estsblishment shot over everyone to show they all like it and are happy. =P

Thats what I got in the top of my head.

If people would like to add anymore please feel free to add. Especially if they have to restate what I have said. Lol
can this movie/book be used as a related text to Australian Voices?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)