Struggling in S1 (1 Viewer)

zoogk0s

HSC
I am struggling not that I get bad marks but worried for next semester as I will be doing discrete maths and next year (algorithms and data structures) my maths is basic and I have not finished HSC. I find it a bit hard to understand some stuff as it doesn't get explained clear enough (for me at least). I feel like the workload is going to be alot more in the upcoming semester and it might put me behind and most likely fail.

The teaching way at macq uni doesn't seem to help me much, I find that I learn more and understand better doing practical stuff than in theory. I have been looking at other CS programs and might consider to transfer if it is the right way.

If you know or are currently doing CS/SE program at UTS, UNSW or USYD what is the workload like? are they all equal? the units are similar like COMP units and maths at my uni. I really want to transfer to UNSW as it is the best for CS but I am worried that the workload will be heavy and much more harder than MQ, UTS or other unis.

Also some people on this forum actually transferred from UNSW to UTS because of the workload. is it that bad??

CS/SE students pls replyy :spzz::hammer:

integral95

HSC
I am struggling not that I get bad marks but worried for next semester as I will be doing discrete maths and next year (algorithms and data structures) my maths is basic and I have not finished HSC. I find it a bit hard to understand some stuff as it doesn't get explained clear enough (for me at least). I feel like the workload is going to be alot more in the upcoming semester and it might put me behind and most likely fail.

The teaching way at macq uni doesn't seem to help me much, I find that I learn more and understand better doing practical stuff than in theory. I have been looking at other CS programs and might consider to transfer if it is the right way.

If you know or are currently doing CS/SE program at UTS, UNSW or USYD what is the workload like? are they all equal? the units are similar like COMP units and maths at my uni. I really want to transfer to UNSW as it is the best for CS but I am worried that the workload will be heavy and much more harder than MQ, UTS or other unis.

Also some people on this forum actually transferred from UNSW to UTS because of the workload. is it that bad??

CS/SE students pls replyy :spzz::hammer:
Sorry I don't understand that.

I can't give you any info on your specific degree, but I can say that it's not a bad thing if you transfer from UNSW to UTS, I know someone who did that since he unfortunately failed many courses and got an fail average as a result. He's doing alright at UTS I heard.

zoogk0s

HSC
Oh I probably didnt make that clear, I am currently at macquaire university and looking to move to either UNSW, USYD or UTS.

So in that case UTS workload is much less. The units for CS at UTS seems different than other CS degrees.

keepLooking

HSC
I'm enjoying my degree (Comp Sci) at UNSW so far. I don't know the exact format of CS at Macq but at UNSW, you basically finish off MATH subjects in the first year and you are out of a "math" only subject. Comp Sci depends heavily on Math and as such, if you do not wish to continue learning math then there you will be a point where you eventually find that it will become a roadblock.

I dare say that the workload at UNSW is much more than of Macq though.

zoogk0s

HSC
UNSW sounds to be the best one for CS or engineering.
Will the maths subjects be terribly hard for someone who has little math knowledge?

kawaiipotato

HSC
UNSW sounds to be the best one for CS or engineering.
Will the maths subjects be terribly hard for someone who has little math knowledge?
The first-year course packs are quite comprehensive (imo), so if you're willing to put in the effort to learn/understand it, then it should be manageable.

keepLooking

HSC
What do you mean by "little math knowledge"? You can definitely get a credit for MATH1 A/B (Calculus and Linear Algebra) if you did 2U, but Discrete, that is another story.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
If you transfer, don't go to USYD.. COMP2129 is a core unit and has a relatively high fail rate (I think it's around 30-40%?). And everyone I know that's doing that unit spends like 60-70% of their time studying that subject. There's a bunch of assessments that can take hours to do but are only worth like 1% - 3% each. I should note, I haven't done COMP2129, this is all what I've been told.

But I have done junior discrete maths. I failed it the first time. I didn't do any maths in HSC, and I think I failed year 10 maths lol but the second time around I got a credit. I think you will be fine, but maybe consider getting a tutor to help. If the topics at the uni you go to are similar to the one at USYD, the first half of the course is quite easy. The last few topics, I admit, I had no idea what was going on and never understood them. I was able to pass by just mastering the topics that I could understand, which maybe was 60% of the course content. So I mean if you're desperate you could try that but it might not be the most practical way to go if you need to do more advanced math units or if it's prereq knowledge..

He-Mann

Vexed?
HSC
N/A
I don't think you should not go to a university just because they have a notoriously difficult core unit.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
I mean, I only mentioned it because OP said they are afraid the uni they pick will have a higher workload and be more difficult than their current uni..

zoogk0s

HSC
What do you mean by "little math knowledge"? You can definitely get a credit for MATH1 A/B (Calculus and Linear Algebra) if you did 2U, but Discrete, that is another story.
Well I didn't do finish hsc so yeah. I seen unsw has 2 maths units and discrete maths. in my program theres discrete maths 1 which I will be done next semester and discrete maths 2 in second year. Not sure how similar the content would be in unsw.

zoogk0s

HSC
If you transfer, don't go to USYD.. COMP2129 is a core unit and has a relatively high fail rate (I think it's around 30-40%?). And everyone I know that's doing that unit spends like 60-70% of their time studying that subject. There's a bunch of assessments that can take hours to do but are only worth like 1% - 3% each. I should note, I haven't done COMP2129, this is all what I've been told.

But I have done junior discrete maths. I failed it the first time. I didn't do any maths in HSC, and I think I failed year 10 maths lol but the second time around I got a credit. I think you will be fine, but maybe consider getting a tutor to help. If the topics at the uni you go to are similar to the one at USYD, the first half of the course is quite easy. The last few topics, I admit, I had no idea what was going on and never understood them. I was able to pass by just mastering the topics that I could understand, which maybe was 60% of the course content. So I mean if you're desperate you could try that but it might not be the most practical way to go if you need to do more advanced math units or if it's prereq knowledge..
Your maths story sounds like mine lol. How are finding your comp program at USYD? I really would transfer anywhere if I get an offer. UTS teaching aspects doesnt seem to be great. Also UWS have a CS program which do have the core units like fundementals, discrete maths, algothrims etc but I don't know if it is any good.

mamehapumpkin

HSC
Your maths story sounds like mine lol. How are finding your comp program at USYD? I really would transfer anywhere if I get an offer. UTS teaching aspects doesnt seem to be great. Also UWS have a CS program which do have the core units like fundementals, discrete maths, algothrims etc but I don't know if it is any good.
I can't really provide much comment from a personal standpoint about CS at USYD - because I started out doing CS, changed my major a few times etc.. I've only done "soft" units besides intro to programming, i.e. databases, system analysis and design, HCI.. I haven't done algorithms or OO programming (yet?). But, I have a close friend who transferred from UWS to USYD doing comp sci, and I can give a bit of info on that in relation to uni comparison. He said that at UWS, the same subjects are much easier. For example, at UWS he got a distinction in algorithms. But when he came to USYD, he had to retake algorithms since it's "not up to usyd standard" or something. My friend then failed algorithms twice at USYD before passing. He regrets transferring to USYD. Now, that's not to discourage you from going to USYD, perhaps you have more capability.. my main point is, it seems compared to other unis, some particular CS subjects are definitely more challenging. But there really are only a couple, and you can compliment each semester with "soft" subjects (HCI etc..) which give you more time for harder subjects.

Also, if you struggle with math - you could also try doing a science degree majoring comp sci if you're not already. This is what I do. I THINK there are many more math unit requirements in the Computer Science degree by itself, but if you do a science degree and major CS, there is only 12 CP math requirement, and these can be junior units. But you should also check any math requirements for other CS units.

zoogk0s

HSC
Well at maq there is only an IT/science degree majoring in Software tech that I am currently doing and it seems to be equivalent to most CS degrees.I don't know i feel like I am barely passing, but i should be getting around 60%-70% on my units marks. Maybe it is better for me to go to UWS as USYD and UNSW are pretty hardcore?

I am deciding to transfer in mid-year to either uts or uws if I get an offer. which one would be better for CS? one that offers good education.

RobertGreene

HSC
N/A
Uni Grad
Stunning post that you have been shared with us.Although there must be a ultimate phase and really magnificent way that how to manage the works load with your tangible facts. There must be great intentions to worried about your next semester by doing this you can build-up your academic career.Thanks

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)