Student Activity Fees... (1 Viewer)

X

xeuyrawp

CrashOveride said:
These fees should be optional.
Yes, what a practical idea. They should hire a guard at all the entrances to the SAM building, Conception Day, the Uni Bar, and all the other facilities and say "wait, you're not a member. Entry denied".

:rolleyes:

philly17

if u look at it there arent many facilities u get benefits from I dont use the pharmacy, doctors. The newsagency I get the paper from. The food is more expensive than macq centre by like $1.50 on average so how does sam's funding assist that.??

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
yellowbrick said:
Try like $7.50 more, it's ridiculous! especially when mac centre is walking distance away
Right on!

Compared to USYD and UTS, the prices at Macqurie are outragous.

"Scientists study the world as it is, engineers create the world that never has been.” — Theodore Von Karman

Scientists study the world as it could be.

Also, aren't student activitiy fees for student memberships to SAM and clubs?

Last edited:

Calculon

Mohammed was a paedophile
HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Yes, what a practical idea. They should hire a guard at all the entrances to the SAM building, Conception Day, the Uni Bar, and all the other facilities and say "wait, you're not a member. Entry denied".

:rolleyes:
Just give union cards to all members which are scanned upon purchases at said venues, or flashed on entrance to conception day. It's worked fairly well at usyd.
bscienceboi said:
Scientists study the world as it could be.
If a scientist is not studying the world for what it is then their hypothesis is incorrect, the purpose of science is to explain what is.

Last edited:

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Calculon said:
If a scientist is not studying the world for what it is then their hypothesis is incorrect, the purpose of science is to explain what is.
But theres a lot that scientist dont know hence they come up with hypothesis'. Yes they do study the world for what it is but they not only explain what already exist but also provide pathways for the future. A lot of pharmaceuticals are not natural products of the world but manufactured material created in labs. If immunities didn't exist then what is there to allow us to survive.

"...engineers create the world that never has been"

But so does science.

(Falling tree in the absence of people)

marchetta: Jennifer Connelly is gorgeous

Last edited:

Calculon

HSC
N/A
If they are synthesising products, then they are engineers. Knowing and exploring the scientific principles makes them scientists, but the actual act of putting these principles into some form of practical use is engineering.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Calculon said:
If they are synthesising products, then they are engineers. Knowing and exploring the scientific principles makes them scientists, but the actual act of putting these principles into some form of practical use is engineering.
Scientist=Engineers

vice versa :rolleyes:

And what is with your sig (as in the randomness)

Last edited:

sukiyaki

emptiness
HSC
I never got the notice
omg i didnt realise its due on today
someone please gimme the telephone (credit card one) details -__-

X

xeuyrawp

Calculon said:
Just give union cards to all members which are scanned upon purchases at said venues, or flashed on entrance to conception day. It's worked fairly well at usyd.
And by then we'd realise that the payment to hire 20 people to check them would cost more than the benefit of paying the fees, ie, those who pay fees would go up. In anycase, after seeing what a bunch of losers some people can be at our uni (eg my run-in with the "I don't speak english" koreans in the library), I'm confident that compulsary union fees are the better option over those losers abusing the system.

X

xeuyrawp

bscienceboi said:
Right on!

Right, but what's the chance of you not getting your place at Macquarie because someone payed to get in? Oh, that's right, Macquarie has equal full-fee and HECS places.

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
Right, but what's the chance of you not getting your place at Macquarie because someone payed to get in? Oh, that's right, Macquarie has equal full-fee and HECS places.
So to balance that out they overcharge us on food? Either way, if there were either more fee-paying students or higher priced food its a disadvantage towards prospective students. That seems a tad unfair.

Is there a site that tells you how many fee-paying people there are in our uni (or other uni's)?

:)

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Cyan_phoeniX said:
macquarie gives some students an extra 5 points on their uai in some schools, because of some partnership. And apparently they call it a scholarship too. Thats outrageous!
Yeah my HSC CHemistry tutor who teaches at Arthur Phillip in Parramatta told us that. It's usually for "disadvantaged" schools because of the lower rated education level.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Right on!

are you serious?
it cant be that much of a difference right? i personally dont think our food is really cheaper at all...i think non members just pay more... then again do they ever check members?

suki: 1300 301 043

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
are you serious?
it cant be that much of a difference right? i personally dont think our food is really cheaper at all...i think non members just pay more... then again do they ever check members?
I thought you went to MacUni...

Well I have friends who transferred from Sydney Uni and they said there is quite a difference. Same goes with UTS students.

We can always invade their forums :rolleyes:

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
bscienceboi said:
I thought you went to MacUni...

Well I have friends who transferred from Sydney Uni and they said there is quite a difference. Same goes with UTS students.

We can always invade their forums :rolleyes:
yeh i do go to mq, but im saying i didnt think the price difference between unis would be that different...
and its not even cheap being a member, think we still pay $2 for a bottle of water...

and which uni forum do you wanna invade? im up for it since im bored

bscienceboi

HSC
N/A
Orange Juice said:
yeh i do go to mq, but im saying i didnt think the price difference between unis would be that different...
and its not even cheap being a member, think we still pay $2 for a bottle of water...

and which uni forum do you wanna invade? im up for it since im bored
Yeah its not cheap being a member, sometimes you save 20cents or so and they dont check. If you go to the newsagency they ask if your a member but don't bother acquiring the proof. Unlike last year where they had the counters set up above the atrium they always checked.

Orange Juice

so worthless i am
HSC
bscienceboi said:
Yeah its not cheap being a member, sometimes you save 20cents or so and they dont check. If you go to the newsagency they ask if your a member but don't bother acquiring the proof. Unlike last year where they had the counters set up above the atrium they always checked.
i think non members just pay a more expensive price (above normal) and we as member pay the normal price...
i thought our union fees would go subsidising but it isnt... at least to me anyways
and this year with the whole renovating of the sam cafe or whatever (level below bar) has made it alot more commercial... everyone is out there to make profit... if the uni ran all of them then prices would be lower...

and you choose which forum... im unfamiliar with any forum outside MQ...

Calculon

HSC
N/A
PwarYuex said:
And by then we'd realise that the payment to hire 20 people to check them would cost more than the benefit of paying the fees, ie, those who pay fees would go up. In anycase, after seeing what a bunch of losers some people can be at our uni (eg my run-in with the "I don't speak english" koreans in the library), I'm confident that compulsary union fees are the better option over those losers abusing the system.
Why couldn't the people already working selling food at the venues do it? It just involves the hiring of one or two security guards for one night for conception day, which isn't going to be that big an expense.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)