• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Students opinions on weed (1 Viewer)

yourdad

HSC
N/A
Hey, I go to UWA and, just by observing the posters that get put up, it seems to be very 'anti-weed'. I thought this was pretty weird myself, since all the posters for uni events go something like this
"Super beer party! Get as drunk as you can and vomit everywhere! Special prize for whoever can drink the most...more beer!"

ie it is pretty hypocritical that the uni is so anti-"drugs" but so pro-alcohol.

yourdad

HSC
N/A
really? because...well let's just say my uni friends seem to be a lot more conservative then my non-uni friends

tempco

HSC
i don't like weed. stinks worse than cigarette smoke. all weed smokers should be castrated.

crazybrad

Pharmer
HSC
about every second person at uni smokes it and i havent got anything against it

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i go to usyd, theres a chalked up "hashing society" thingo on the pavement. now i dont know if its actually a weed related thing but it well could be.
i dunno, i havent had any time for drugs since uni started.
i bet theres a lot of stoners though.

doe

HSC
N/A
weed is for when you're 16 and cant buy alcohol.

it fucks you up.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
doe said:
weed is for when you're 16 and cant buy alcohol.

it fucks you up.
as opposed to alcohol, which does not disintegrate your brain cells, which does not land you in dangerous situations, which does not make you irresponsible... etc etc

doe

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
as opposed to alcohol, which does not disintegrate your brain cells, which does not land you in dangerous situations, which does not make you irresponsible... etc etc
i agree with you but we're not talking about alcohol

besides the govt makes too much $ off it to even ban alcohol.

persoanlly i think alcohol does more damage than weed

stazi

Nightman
HSC
i disagree that weed 'fucks you up' if done in moderation. Sure it can be easy to go overboard if you're not mature enough (and 16) but if you are well-adapted to life I have no problem with anyone smoking it occasionally. Same thing with many other drugs.

doe

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
i disagree that weed 'fucks you up' if done in moderation. Sure it can be easy to go overboard if you're not mature enough (and 16) but if you are well-adapted to life I have no problem with anyone smoking it occasionally. Same thing with many other drugs.
chances are anything done in moderation is ok. even alcohol is ok, i like a drink now and then. people seem to be quite ignorant about the damage pot can do. i have no problem with anyone doing whatever they want to do, as long as it does not negatively impact others. having a junkie in the family can tear it apart, same as having a father who gets drunk and beats his wife and kids. not all pot smokers are junkies or what not, but long term use will do damage. people seem to think 'oh its natural its not doing any harm' well ive got some paranoid schizophrenics id like you to meet. usually people who say things like that are already on the downward slope. most people who have addictions seem to be using drugs (including alcohol) as an escape from an unhappy life.

drugs are bad, mmmkay :D

[edit] FREE CORBY!

Last edited:

stazi

Nightman
HSC
doe said:
chances are anything done in moderation is ok. even alcohol is ok, i like a drink now and then. people seem to be quite ignorant about the damage pot can do. i have no problem with anyone doing whatever they want to do, as long as it does not negatively impact others. having a junkie in the family can tear it apart, same as having a father who gets drunk and beats his wife and kids. not all pot smokers are junkies or what not, but long term use will do damage. people seem to think 'oh its natural its not doing any harm' well ive got some paranoid schizophrenics id like you to meet. usually people who say things like that are already on the downward slope. most people who have addictions seem to be using drugs (including alcohol) as an escape from an unhappy life.

drugs are bad, mmmkay :D

[edit] FREE CORBY!
yes obviously. i agree that alcohol can cause damage. Hell marijuana can cause skitzophrenia. It's just that people grow out of smoking weed, but alcoholism is much more prevalent.

doe

HSC
N/A
1Time4thePpl said:
yes obviously. i agree that alcohol can cause damage. Hell marijuana can cause skitzophrenia. It's just that people grow out of smoking weed, but alcoholism is much more prevalent.
yers. i wonder why that is. i think its partly because its legal and readily available, drug dealers arent the most reliable people. its also part of our "culture" to go out drinking, i know when a friend from interstate is in town or i just want to hang out with my friends we go to a pub. if you have 3 or 4 people with fairly differing interests, usually they're all happy to sit in the pub, drink a bit and chit chat. people who get drunk/high every night and every weekend are trying to escape their own head.

ages ago i read some figures. it was something like smoking costs the govt $6 billion in health expenditure, but the tax on cigarettes brings in approx $13 billion. $7 billion upside, i wonder why smoking hasnt been outlawed. i smoked for 9 years, the last 5 or so on a pack a day. meep. those fuckers are addictive like nothing else though, i gave up a year and a half ago and i still get pangs.

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I dont smoke ..anything... but I dont care what ppl do.. if they wanna smoke weed go for it.

doe

HSC
N/A
flipsyde said:
I dont smoke ..anything... but I dont care what ppl do.. if they wanna smoke weed go for it.
i agree with this, but at the same time i kinda feel sad for them and would like to see them happy with themselves and their lives so they didnt need to escape with drugs. id never say this to them though, im not a big fan of people who push their beliefs on others.

i agree with the OP that its very hypocritical to be anti-pot but pro excess drinking.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
It's a misconception that marijuana is safe. Search for this on www.newscientist.com as there were numerous studies done on this subject.

flipsyde said:
Smoking (anything) imposes a negative cost (-ve externality) on society, such as increase in pollution, health care costs, lowered lifespans etc. etc. So maybe in the long run you may actually care?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
noneother said:
It's a misconception that marijuana is safe. Search for this on www.newscientist.com as there were numerous studies done on this subject.

Smoking (anything) imposes a negative cost (-ve externality) on society, such as increase in pollution, health care costs, lowered lifespans etc. etc. So maybe in the long run you may actually care?
i don't think anyone thinks its 'safe'.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)