Students to be taught there isn't a God in Victorian schools (1 Viewer)

Trefoil

One day...
HSC
N/A
dont-ban-me-plz said:
so.... hip hip hooray for the atheists?
More like hip hip hooray for separation of church and state.

Well done, Victoria.

Edit: But a religion class is nice. Kids should do it for a year or two in high-school, I think. And it should teach all religions as well as humanism (like my year 11 and 12 SOR1 class did), instead of promoting any one religion or worse, claiming a religion is actually correct.

But only humanism (i.e. secular ethics) should be taught in primary school when children still see the world in black and white (Which is up to about age 10). If their parents want them to have a religious education as well, they can administer it themselves; it's not the roll of the state to indoctrinate.

Last edited:
HSC
Trefoil said:
But only humanism (i.e. secular ethics) should be taught in primary school when children still see the world in black and white (Which is up to about age 10).
My brother's one of the most black and white people I know, and he's 13. If someone mentions religion he goes on for ages about how it is the most stupid and pointless thing in the world. It's excruciating but funny.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
John President said:
My brother's one of the most black and white people I know, and he's 13. If someone mentions religion he goes on for ages about how it is the most stupid and pointless thing in the world. It's excruciating but funny.
Old people always see things in black and white too. That's why my folks keep saying stuff like "Oh i bet that guy arrested for assault was Lebanese" or "If you don't go to uni you will never be happy". Stupid old people.

goliwog

HSC
I would think primary kids would sturggle to understand such things? Perhaps it would be better for them just to study what religion is in general ? Perhaps you could teach comparative religions in primary school so they have a general gist and if they want in highschool they can do more specific religions as electives?

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
I don't think religion should even be touched upon until high school. Enough of the scarring kids with hellfire and brimstone.

jsbithy

HSC
N/A
IT doesn't really need to be touched upon at all, what are some actual benefits of learning religion?

Tristanator

HSC
jsbithy said:
IT doesn't really need to be touched upon at all, what are some actual benefits of learning about Aboriginal culture?
Same arguement.

And nobody give me that 'nerr religion isn't a culture' arguement, because quite clearly religion crosses and defines a variety of cultural, ethnic and historical backgrounds.

nikolas

HSC
Tristanator said:
Same arguement.

And nobody give me that 'nerr religion isn't a culture' arguement, because quite clearly religion crosses and defines a variety of cultural, ethnic and historical backgrounds.
There is a difference between scripture and teaching about religion from a historical perspective.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)