Students to be taught there isn't a God in Victorian schools (1 Viewer)

HSC

Victorian state primary school students will soon be able to take religious education classes which teach there is no evidence God exists.

The Humanist Society of Victoria has developed a curriculum for primary pupils that the state government accreditation body says it intends to approve, The Sunday Age newspaper reported.

Accredited volunteers will be able to teach their philosophy in the class time allotted for religious instruction, the newspaper said.

As with lessons delivered by faith groups, parents will be able to request that their children do not participate.

"Atheistical parents will be pleased to hear that humanistic courses of ethics will soon be available in some state schools," Victorian Humanist Society president Stephen Stuart said.

The society does not consider itself to be a religious organisation and believes ethics have "no necessary connection with religion".

Humanists believe people are responsible for their own destiny and reject the notion of a supernatural force or God.
http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=696722
so.... hip hip hooray for the atheists? or just the beginning of a crumbling, moral-less society?

HSC
N/A
well their education system has always been ahead of NSW's.

you'd think, though, that it'd make more sense to teach kids to decide for themselves i.e. THINK.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Doesn't this amount to the indoctrination of children who aren;t cognizant with regards philosophy and belief systems? This course would be better suited to year 8 and 9.

HSC
Uni Grad
A High Way Man said:
Doesn't this amount to the indoctrination of children who aren;t cognizant with regards philosophy and belief systems? This course would be better suited to year 8 and 9.
I think its already taught in the studies of religion course in year 12, but I dropped after year 11 because I didn't want thirteen units.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
A High Way Man said:
Firstly, it's opt-outable, and secondly, that's quite hypocritical when you consider most public primary schools even teach (Christian biblical) scripture. I had it thrown down my throat all of my public, non-religious, primary school life.

Hooray for reason!

Last edited:

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
It's a dickhead move, but I hope that it may eventually serve to encourage kids to develop an independent curiosity in religion and, with a clean slate, be more open to the truth which surrounds them

P.T.F.E

HSC
bloody hell whats the world coming to, fair enough to leave out the whole God thing but to teach there is no evidence...
CAUSE THERE IS NO FUCKING EVIDENCE HENCE Y IT IS CALLED FAITH
its sad to see society crumbling as such the thing is as a country we hav no major religious stand anymore and it cause people to become materilistic and secular so if everyone is dead against religion dont celebrate easter or christmas because u probably dont even no the reason y we celebrate, it is sad from my point of veiw.
religion is one of the most acient practices soon it will no longer be, otherwise we will or be muslim.

nikolas

HSC
Imo this is just pointless, it's replacing one waste of time for another.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
P.T.F.E said:
everyone is dead against religion dont celebrate easter or christmas because u probably dont even no the reason y we celebrate
Do you? And do you know why those dates are significant in particular?

religion is one of the most acient practices soon it will no longer be, otherwise we will or be muslim.
Lol.

The point is that morality, ethics and philosophy are not mutually inclusive with religion. It's time it was taught that way.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yeah but morality is meaningless without reference to truth. You guys say that there is no ultimate reason or purpose, so anything goes but, um, be 'moral' because...

People can still be good without being religous, but in that search for truth and service of fellow men, theyre serving God, though He remains unknown to them

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC
Kwayera said:
The point is that morality, ethics and philosophy are not mutually inclusive with religion. It's time it was taught that way.

hear hear.

i had four years of catholic school, with religion shoved down my throat and being told i wasn't a good person because i wasn't catholic.

not to mention the seven years of public primary school in which they preached their point of view at me, why shouldn't those who don't believe be able to do the same.

although, just scrap it all and leave it to the parents would be good.

Kwayera

Passive-aggressive Mod
HSC
Iron said:
Yeah but morality is meaningless without reference to truth. You guys say that there is no ultimate reason or purpose, so anything goes but, um, be 'moral' because...
Truth and religion/the Christian bible are not mutually inclusive either :p

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Yes they are. Christ is the foundational truth from which all other meaning flows. What you have is a headless beast of egoism

Pace_T

HSC
why cant they just leave religion out of primary schools completely? the dept of education should keep its grubby little nose out of this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)