• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Study books (1 Viewer)

Milo496

HSC
Now, i know this is a bit late..... but, wat are the best books to buy to study for ur HSC (like Excel, etc). I have no clue wat type of books to buy. My subjects are displayed below, thx for the replies in advance.

Brontecat

HSC
for 2Unit and extension past papers are the key as they hsc styled questions are pretty different from any questions you get in the textbook - so maybe success one (i found that one pretty good) :)

muzeikchun852

HSC
i heard dot point is quite good for sciences.

ps. how could i make the "unknown quantity at this point" thingo goes away?

Milo496

HSC
ps. how could i make the "unknown quantity at this point" thingo goes away?
Srry but im not really sure how to make the "unknown quantity at this point" go away, im a bit of a BOS noob :tongue:

muzeikchun852

HSC
Srry but im not really sure how to make the "unknown quantity at this point" go away, im a bit of a BOS noob :tongue:
+1. thats why im asking everyone and see whether who knows how to make it go awayyy..any experts? [sorry for borrowing ur thread for this]

Klutsov

HSC
The new excel books are relatively good for most subjects

Macquarie revision guides can be good too

mioumiou

HSC
Now, i know this is a bit late..... but, wat are the best books to buy to study for ur HSC (like Excel, etc). I have no clue wat type of books to buy. My subjects are displayed below, thx for the replies in advance.
For subjects like 2U and Ext. 1 maths, buy those Phoenix Exam Styles questions in topic (or books like that, there's one for 2U and 3U in the Excel series I think) and those past paper books like Success One. (Do as much past papers for maths as you can :))

You do Physics, so the Dot point books are great in my opinion. you can as well get those Success One Past Paper books and the past HSC questions that sorted into topics. If you don't want to spend that much money on those you can download them from BOS (but there's no answers).

For English, you can get those tiny books (the summary notes/ study guide) for the books that you're studying.

I'm not quite sure about other subjects cuz I dun do them. I hope this will let you have some ideas of what you're going to get from the bookshops!! :)

Cheers

twistedrebel

HSC
sciences- success one/dot point
maths - past papers, shitload on here lets i doubt anyone could do all of them
humanities- really no point unless your school gave you a really crappy one.

gella

HSC
amazing for maths and sciences but are absolute crocks of shit for humanities.

mioumiou

HSC
for maths practicing past papers i would suggest success one as others mentioned, theory wise i would consider Cambridge.
Cambridge is good for the questions, but i've found their explanation is not really good. try the combination for Fitzpatrick and Cambridge, it works for 2U and Ext. 1 maths. :)

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
for 2Unit and extension past papers are the key as they hsc styled questions are pretty different from any questions you get in the textbook - so maybe success one (i found that one pretty good) :)
+1

i heard dot point is quite good for sciences.
I hate dot point. Never used it =='

Dot point multiple choice is ok then. The Surfing series are pretty good but they do teach you/give questions on things that you don't need to know or are too detailed. But if you have a syllabus in handy they're great.

TL;DR - Past papers FTW.

muzeikchun852

HSC
Cambridge is good for the questions, but i've found their explanation is not really good. try the combination for Fitzpatrick and Cambridge, it works for 2U and Ext. 1 maths. :)
just for interest, how about 4u maths? there isnt one on success one. :uhhuh::uhhuh:

mioumiou

HSC
just for interest, how about 4u maths? there isnt one on success one. :uhhuh::uhhuh:
You can always buy The Mathematical Association of New South Wales ones. They've got the papers from General Maths to Ext. 2 maths with fully worked solutions. I heard that their solutions are much better than Success One. :)

There's a lot of free past HSC and trials on BOS, but only SOME with solutions :(

But I hope that answers your questions!! :)

mioumiou

HSC
+1

I hate dot point. Never used it =='

Dot point multiple choice is ok then. The Surfing series are pretty good but they do teach you/give questions on things that you don't need to know or are too detailed. But if you have a syllabus in handy they're great.

TL;DR - Past papers FTW.
oooooooops, that's not forget about The Surfing series. ;)
but past papers it's much better :p

muzeikchun852

HSC
You can always buy The Mathematical Association of New South Wales ones. They've got the papers from General Maths to Ext. 2 maths with fully worked solutions. I heard that their solutions are much better than Success One. :)

There's a lot of free past HSC and trials on BOS, but only SOME with solutions :(

But I hope that answers your questions!! :)
there is a lot of trial as well.

mioumiou

HSC
there is a lot of trial as well.
I thought that what i've said.....

But yeah, have you download those yet? (there's a lot.... there's like one site with 200+ of past papers (trials from loads of schools) for 4 unit maths) I've only downloaded SOME cuz there's way tooooo much papers..... :p

muzeikchun852

HSC
I thought that what i've said.....

But yeah, have you download those yet? (there's a lot.... there's like one site with 200+ of past papers (trials from loads of schools) for 4 unit maths) I've only downloaded SOME cuz there's way tooooo much papers..... :p
sorry.:wave: misread ur post.

Milo496

HSC
Thx heaps every1 for ur replies, ill prob grab a dotpoint one for physics and ill definetly be lookin at past papers for maths :uhhuh:

Thx again

Also, with the mathematics accosiation of New South Wales ones, which year papers do they have. Do they have the papers updated all the way up to 09'?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)