Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Re: Memorise, understand, practice

4theHSC said:
So how do you guys do it? What is your preparation for exams like? Do you memorise your notes? understand them? or just keep on reading them over and over again? Get maths out of the equation because we all know its practice... Other subjects, what do you do?
Understand the big picture, then memorise the finer details

hermand

je t'aime.
HSC

4theHSC said:
So how do you guys do it? What is your preparation for exams like? Do you memorise your notes? understand them? or just keep on reading them over and over again? Get maths out of the equation because we all know its practice... Other subjects, what do you do?
understand them first of all. then memorise the facts that you need to know. then do as many practice tests as possible to discern your weaknesses, and then try understand, memorise these weak points. and do another practice test. and it just keeps going. haha.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad

I only memorise stuff for subjects like Economics, English and Religion but for Maths and the Sciences I learn the concepts.

TehAzner

HSC
N/A

This may sound a bit crazy but it worked for me...

Anyways here goes, for Biology I wrote up my own notes and for revision I would read them out aloud over and over until I felt tired. It worked a charm, even though I always ended up having a sore throat for a day after ;)

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC

TehAzner said:

Anyways here goes, for Biology I wrote up my own notes and for revision I would read them out aloud over and over until I felt tired. It worked a charm, even though I always ended up having a sore throat for a day after ;)
Its just your learning style, you're an auditory learner

MrDimple

HSC

kaz1 said:
I only memorise stuff for subjects like Economics, English and Religion but for Maths and the Sciences I learn the concepts.
not famliar with concepts as in what really :O theres alot of concepts.

Rainie

HSC

MrDimple said:
not famliar with concepts as in what really :O theres alot of concepts.
I think it means like the formulas/equation for maths and science.

And for the other subjects, basically, the general idea/the big picture..

Deltan

Noob pharmer
HSC

TehAzner said:

i was going to have a txt to speech program and listen to it on mp3, though i cbb since i hardly write notes on my comp lol

kallie91

HSC
yeah two hours per uni sounds great. but too be honest, its not how many hours you do...its if your studying technique is effective for you to remember...
you can study hours and hours and you wont know nothing whereas someone who studied for 30 minutes rememberd more than the dude who studied 2 hours.

dp624

HSC

Deltan said:
i was going to have a txt to speech program and listen to it on mp3, though i cbb since i hardly write notes on my comp lol
lol, haha, they drone on for so much lawl

MrDimple

HSC

i know this is study discussion, but for some1 like me who didnt study prelims and didnt do so well in exams got less than 40% in some subs is there still hope? being realistic and wanting good answers thanks.

Timothy.Siu

Prophet 9
HSC

MrDimple said:
i know this is study discussion, but for some1 like me who didnt study prelims and didnt do so well in exams got less than 40% in some subs is there still hope? being realistic and wanting good answers thanks.
lol theres been a million threads on this

YES IT IS POSSIBLE!!!

Kujah

HSC
N/A

Year 12's a fresh start, and is a different ballgame to Year 11. If you can put in some effort and dedication, and persevere, hopefully you'll improve greatly over the next few months.

4theHSC

HSC

Kujah said:
Year 12's a fresh start, and is a different ballgame to Year 11. If you can put in some effort and dedication, and persevere, hopefully you'll improve greatly over the next few months.
seriously how many hours of study did you do Kujah? in the holidays on average...

Kujah

HSC
N/A

In all seriousness, the summer holidays went by too fast before I had a realistic chance to do some actual study. With Christmas, NYE, family and friends coming over and holiday trips, I only had time towards the end to finish off assignments and do some notes. But at least I did that, cos it allowed me to build a gradual foundations for the half-yearlies (which was about Week 5 for us). Just make sure you're not that rusty when you resume schooling again.

The summer holidays allow you to start off fresh and relaxed, so don't overdo with that much effort. It helps to prevent you from burning out. On the other hand, do put in something, even if its a small effort cos its a stepping stone to your exams.

jennieTalia

HSC

Kujah said:
The summer holidays allow you to start off fresh and relaxed, so don't overdo with that much effort. It helps to prevent you from burning out. On the other hand, do put in something, even if its a small effort cos its a stepping stone to your exams.

Amen to that.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Doctor Jolly said:
*cough* the-derivative *cough* Read this :hammer:
LOL - I didn't even post on this thread.

I have put in an effort - I don't think I've overdone it though. I mean I've been working through each subject at my own pace, working ahead with a bit of maths - which I don't find stressful at all.

So yeah - dunno why you're coughing my name out xD

dp624

HSC

I burnt out after trial for about 5-6 weeks
not a good experience, haha

MrDimple

HSC

sweet and yeah i hope it is a different league to year 11, better start making notes, cant study in holidays always going out with family and that.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)