Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

MrDimple

HSC
Re: Memorise, understand, practice

hey im having trouble writing physics notes as i didnt entirely understand the space module, is it better to use the resources and understand from there, cuz my teacher really isnt a great help and not a great teacher i either and cant really rely on her.

MrDimple

HSC

hey doctor, thanks alot just reading it ohh where can i find andrew harvey's note to look upon when writing the syllabus incase i dont understand everything. Seriously, i need to catch up soon holidays is coming to an end ive only started doing my biology notes =/ but i think the final week of holidays i will try and get through the physics first module i hope. LOl and dont worry i also am not a great physicist i failed my exams but do well in assignments i jsut wanna do good in both now thanks again doctor.
But with note taking i put the syllabus dot points as my question and answer them, but if i dont get it i look on other peoples notes on BoS to find if im on the right track.
Btw i ask alot of questions but i am really curious, when do you do past papers?
i got 2 success one books on general maths and physics but i dont know when to do them anyone?

Last edited:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

No worries, I'm glad to have helped you. In regards to where you can find Andrew Harvey's notes, simply google his name alongside 'HSC Physics Notes' and put in the module that you want, so for example, if you wanted notes on Space you would google in: Andrew Harvey HSC Physics Notes Space and it should pop up as a PDF file, then download and read :)

The way you approach your note taking sounds like a good idea. I do something similar to yours - except I don't ever touch the BoS resources page unless I need to get something clarified, but even so, I would prefer to ask a friend or teacher.

Owing to the bad state of my teacher, his exams are not what I call Physics exams. They are stupid exams with hardly any Physics in it, and if it did have Physics in it, it's something stupid or something so straight forward like "State the Universal Law of Gravitation - 3 marks" and all one has to do is flip to the Formula Page. In regards to that, in my Prelim years I did not touch a single past paper because all the papers other schools had did not fit in with my teacher's exam criteria or format. But seeing as how the HSC will have a different exam format from my teacher, I now do past exam papers in the holidays. This gives me time to revise on what I have just learnt and it allows for me to attack the weakest points in my Physics. Past exam papers are essentially used before exams, but in some cases they can also be used as revision. I can only hope that my teacher changes his exam format, however, he has been teaching at my school for 30 years and well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks :eek:
William Kim (a former ruse student) also has really good physics notes - kewpid.net. As for the exam format, most schools would purchase trial papers - for example the CSSA or independent papers as those are probabl best at simulating the HSC experience.

ilinh

HSC
Hey does anybody else here uses a laptop (In particularly the program ONENOTE) to write their notes down and study from? Cause I do and I use it for everything. Its like my folder/study note thing. I know people saying if you write it down, you'll remember it more and its true but this one note program, I can organise my timetable, my to do list, then my study notes and rearranging whenever I want. I feel like it's really working for me. Teehee.

georgefren

HSC
lol.

unfortunately, all OUR exams are meant to be a little harder than the HSC i think (i.e. i was 4th in eng3 but only got 44/50, whereas in the actual hsc we had about 25 people over 47/50)

dp624

HSC
lol.

unfortunately, all OUR exams are meant to be a little harder than the HSC i think (i.e. i was 4th in eng3 but only got 44/50, whereas in the actual hsc we had about 25 people over 47/50)
Yeah that's good, it allows for more discrimination between students for ranks

4theHSC

HSC
Hey does anybody else here uses a laptop (In particularly the program ONENOTE) to write their notes down and study from? Cause I do and I use it for everything. Its like my folder/study note thing. I know people saying if you write it down, you'll remember it more and its true but this one note program, I can organise my timetable, my to do list, then my study notes and rearranging whenever I want. I feel like it's really working for me. Teehee.
ya I use a laptop as well, you see it is good that you have the internet to clarify somethings sometimes, lots of pictures and diagrams are very helpful,, I found that typing and getting some important info pretty good so yeah.. although I will write a summary (since my notes are like 10-11000 words) in which only the important concepts that I will need to memorise... I use microsoft word btw.. best in the business,, is that program good? whats it do? much easier to use compared to microsoft?

ilinh

HSC
ya I use a laptop as well, you see it is good that you have the internet to clarify somethings sometimes, lots of pictures and diagrams are very helpful,, I found that typing and getting some important info pretty good so yeah.. although I will write a summary (since my notes are like 10-11000 words) in which only the important concepts that I will need to memorise... I use microsoft word btw.. best in the business,, is that program good? whats it do? much easier to use compared to microsoft?

My goodness, it's 10x better than microsoft word. Even if you saved files in Microsoft word you can insert your Microsoft files into One Note. It's sorta like a organizer/notebook thing. And if you have a tablet, you can write your own notes down and um.. I guess I have to show it to you to get what I mean.

http://i162.photobucket.com/albums/t276/iLINH/ONENOTEAD.jpg - Click here *Afraid image file is too big*

Yeah, I absolutely love it and love it as my study book. I recommend all should get one! To study or not!

DGDG77

HSC
I reckon its best just to be organised and stay on top everything, consistently do your study during the week and allow yourself time to go out and have fun or your mind will explode.

I've studied a topic ahead in most of my subjects for 09, so hopefully it will make it easier when it comes time to be tested, i also reckon group studying is good, if u have people who will work.

Good luck :haha:

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Yup he makes up everything. It's actually terrible for my internal mark! You can't study for his exams! They're not Physics I tell you.
Well in that case I would use past BGHS papers (almost revealed your school there). Like I'm pretty sure your school would archive every exam - I know my school does. Use questions from them to study. Then when it's time to study for HSC - use other school's past papers.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Ah .. well .. in that regards, my school does not archive their exams nor do they pass it onto students. We basically go into exams without any practise on our own school papers. Tragic, isn't it?
Wow that is bad.
Try asking your coordinator (or head teacher - or what ever public schools call them) and see if they have any. Or try checking the library - that's where ours are archived. Or even ask past students for papers.

marcquelle

a.k.a. Michael...Hi!
HSC
yeah i know this program its quite good, except i lost my copy :'( but imacs have this as well i think, its called microsoft office notebook) its quite good

MrDimple

HSC

No worries, I'm glad to have helped you. In regards to where you can find Andrew Harvey's notes, simply google his name alongside 'HSC Physics Notes' and put in the module that you want, so for example, if you wanted notes on Space you would google in: Andrew Harvey HSC Physics Notes Space and it should pop up as a PDF file, then download and read :)

The way you approach your note taking sounds like a good idea. I do something similar to yours - except I don't ever touch the BoS resources page unless I need to get something clarified, but even so, I would prefer to ask a friend or teacher.

Owing to the bad state of my teacher, his exams are not what I call Physics exams. They are stupid exams with hardly any Physics in it, and if it did have Physics in it, it's something stupid or something so straight forward like "State the Universal Law of Gravitation - 3 marks" and all one has to do is flip to the Formula Page. In regards to that, in my Prelim years I did not touch a single past paper because all the papers other schools had did not fit in with my teacher's exam criteria or format. But seeing as how the HSC will have a different exam format from my teacher, I now do past exam papers in the holidays. This gives me time to revise on what I have just learnt and it allows for me to attack the weakest points in my Physics. Past exam papers are essentially used before exams, but in some cases they can also be used as revision. I can only hope that my teacher changes his exam format, however, he has been teaching at my school for 30 years and well, you can't teach an old dog new tricks :eek:
i love my note taking skills :D i t hink its ok to do it though.

0hNivlek

HSC
ooh ONENOTE! I have never used it before but thanks for the suggestions, i'll give it a try now XD!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

I think the reason as to why my school doesn't archive their exams is because they repeat a lot of the questions. But in regards to obtaining BGHS past papers, I look onto my sisters - so it's okay :)
Yeah that's good - however your sister would only have a limited range of papers. It's best if you can locate an archive of 5-10 years. I know with my school it's not a problem because we're part of the CSSA - so it's really easy to predict and study for those exams.

x.Exhaust.x

Retired Member
HSC

I think the reason as to why my school doesn't archive their exams is because they repeat a lot of the questions. But in regards to obtaining BGHS past papers, I look onto my sisters - so it's okay :)
Is BGHS - Blacktown Girls?

JOKES :D. Yeah, same as my school (I wish I had an older sis/bro). But I'm pretty sure we'll be using Independent Exams.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC

Is BGHS - Blacktown Girls?

JOKES :D. Yeah, same as my school (I wish I had an older sis/bro). But I'm pretty sure we'll be using Independent Exams.
Yeah that's the trend. It allows students to be able to study for the HSC and be prepared for it.

And isn't it Blacktown Girls High School :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)