Study Discussion (1 Viewer)

hollaholla

HSC
I do about 3 subjects a day. 2 hours in the morning, and 4 hours after school. 2 hours per subject. Just keep rotating subjects everyday, and on the weekend you'll be able to do more, up to 4 or 5 subjects maybe. But I prefer to study each subject for a sufficient period of time, rather than trying to study all subjects in a day, which is not practical, well, for me.
i sorta see what you mean

for me...i can NOT move onto a seperate subject without completely finishing an entire topic(module) of one.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
i sorta see what you mean

for me...i can NOT move onto a seperate subject without completely finishing an entire topic(module) of one.
I think with that method of study there's a risk that you might not actually finish studying all the subjects on time. Also once you finish an entire topic/module, you can't just leave it, you have to keep going back to it.

hollaholla

HSC
I think with that method of study there's a risk that you might not actually finish studying all the subjects on time. Also once you finish an entire topic/module, you can't just leave it, you have to keep going back to it.
Darn them habits

Ticthach

HSC
Think I might go with the 2 subjects a day. It provides a more thorough coverage of each subject.
Thanks for the feedback!

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Why can't I get back into study?! Is anyone else still unable to work since trials? :S I feel like it's been almost a month O_O
I'm slowly getting back into study. I haven't even been half as productive as what I was before the trials though.

What helps me get motivated is this countdown widget I have on my desktop. I tend to go 'oh crap less than 40 days until the hsc, get off facebook'. Try it =)

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Why can't I get back into study?! Is anyone else still unable to work since trials? :S I feel like it's been almost a month O_O
Probably because once you stop it's hard to get back into it... You have to keep working it at, can't stop at all.

123ash

HSC
During the final days of the HSC.......

Knowing that the HSC is just around the corner. My question is how much is everyone studying?

I am trying to digest every single bit from my syllabus so i can regurgitate it later.

Please be free to share some tips and techniques to maximize preparation for the HSC and to maximize improvement.
thx

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
Re: During the final days of the HSC.......

the last couple of weeks have been so bludgy for me, so i really need to pick up my game again. if i feel like i haven't got RSI by the end of next week i'll know that i haven't done enough.

i don't know what subjects you do, but for humanities just do heaps of essays and just practice everything.

it'll make formal so much more worth it.

deepalurie

HSC
Im aiming to fully gun it from beginning to end. 4 hrs weekdays, 8hrs weekends.
Definitely memorising english essays.
Havent worked out my strategy for 4u maths yet though...

0bs3n3

HSC
Hmm, I just finished my Year 11 Prelims. and I'm wondering about the structure next year. Definitely going to study throughout the year (make topic summaries as I go), but I want to know, how many hours per sub. should I spend per week? And I've heard about putting your notes under syllabus dot points, but where can I obtain these syllabii?

So the basic structure for study throughout the year is just summarizing your notes under the syllabus/re-reading your notes and going ahead through the text book at times? I really want to get this straight in my head. Thanks.

PS: Also, is it a good idea to obtain extra textbooks for each subject (eg. one you purchase and are not given)?

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Hmm, I just finished my Year 11 Prelims. and I'm wondering about the structure next year. Definitely going to study throughout the year (make topic summaries as I go), but I want to know, how many hours per sub. should I spend per week? And I've heard about putting your notes under syllabus dot points, but where can I obtain these syllabii?

So the basic structure for study throughout the year is just summarizing your notes under the syllabus/re-reading your notes and going ahead through the text book at times? I really want to get this straight in my head. Thanks.

PS: Also, is it a good idea to obtain extra textbooks for each subject (eg. one you purchase and are not given)?
Definitely organise notes under dot points, particularly important for maths and sciences. Not really sure about histories, cos I don't do them.

Your study is good, just make sure to actually implement your notes, do practice past papers, try rewriting chunks of info to make sure you know it, etc.

Syllabi can all be downloaded from the Board of Studies website. Or teachers will probably give them out at the start of the year.

One or two extra textbooks may help, it depends on the ones you are provided with in class. I'd use 2 max for each subject. More can be like a security blanket but having them doesn't mean you'll use them or memorise them. Pick some good ones and get really familiar with them. :)

0bs3n3

HSC
Thanks, so the I can just download the Syllabus now from BoS? It's not different from 2009 right? Edit: I found it, just went to Syllabus page and there's the 2009 and 2010 and beyond Syllabus, so - with a lot of thinking - got the 2010 one.

Well that's interesting, people earlier said that notes for maths are useless lol. Just one more thing, how should my study patterns change when there's a test coming up? Should I just do more practice papers?

Last edited:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks, so the I can just download the Syllabus now from BoS? It's not different from 2009 right? Edit: I found it, just went to Syllabus page and there's the 2009 and 2010 and beyond Syllabus, so - with a lot of thinking - got the 2010 one.

Well that's interesting, people earlier said that notes for maths are useless lol. Just one more thing, how should my study patterns change when there's a test coming up? Should I just do more practice papers?
Well, I'm not doing maths next year, but I don't think maths notes are useless.
Obviously you don't need thorough notes, but you need to make sure you know how to do everything and know the formulas for everything.

That being said, probably syllabi for maths aren't as important as other subjects.

Hmm, well in yr 11 what did you do? And did it work for you? I guess studying closer to the exams just gets more intense, and all your notes should be finished (well, if it's the end of the year and if you've been making them consistently throughout... yes this is an ideal situation :p ) so you should just revise revise revise.. yes do more practice papers, in english do some essays and hand them in for marking from your teacher.

0bs3n3

HSC
I haven't really had a uniform study pattern up until now. Which is why I really wanna get this worked out for Year 12 lol.

Anyway, I got the Syllabuses and I've been looking through 'em, but what exactly are these 'dot points'? All I see so far is the crap about 'Students learn to...' and that can't be it right?

Again, 'one more thing', how can I improve my essay writing skills before assessments? I'd prefer not to toy around at assessment time lol. I mean it's weird, sometimes in History I've written (if I say so myself) brilliant essays on the significance of events, but in subsequent tests I've been pretty average? I just can't put the finger on what I'm doing differently, it seems to be a totally different mindset, maybe I took the time to plan them more, which I definitely need to do (in the prelims I just rushed in and wrote a stack of stuff but with little on significance and ultimately wasted my time and wasn't able to finish the test). I really want to get better at essay writing in general (I do Adv. English), since history is my favorite subject.

Last edited:

Deer

Premium Member
HSC
Ok, for syllabus,

Take this link :

http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/biology_stg6_syl_03.pdf

Ok, that's to the biology syllabus PDF.

Scroll to page 39, (or on the left hand side, click '9.2 Maintaining a balance'.
ANd you'll see a bit about the segment, (contextual outline), then yes, all the dots under 'students learn to', they're the 'dot points' everyone talks about. The ones under 'Students:' are mostly prac based which you will cover in class. That's all they are. :)

In essays, everyone performs better when they get a take home test. With history (I dont do it, but I'm assuming), the key is to have a really dense amount of information. I guess thats what yr 11 was for, to improve and make sure you can study well and apply all your knowledge in the exam conditions, which alter your ability to think rationally (thats what I find anyway, I always become frenzied :p ). Obviously I cant really help with what you're doing wrong, but if you haven't spoken to your teacher about what you're doing wrong, you should. Just seriously, do lots of practise essays and hand them in for marking before assessments.

In essays you should spend 10% of your time (about 4 mins) to plans your response to make sure you dont go off in a tangent. This time is very important and yeah, if you havent been doing it this is probably why your not staying focused and getting spot on marks.

apple pancake

HSC
I did really well for yr 11 and i was worried that i wouldn't get the same marks for the hsc, but i got better!!! Just relax, take a deep breath and take it as it comes. It's not much of a step up from yr 11. Goodluck to all yr 11

:music:

0bs3n3

HSC
Ok, for syllabus,
In essays, everyone performs better when they get a take home test. With history (I dont do it, but I'm assuming), the key is to have a really dense amount of information. I guess thats what yr 11 was for, to improve and make sure you can study well and apply all your knowledge in the exam conditions, which alter your ability to think rationally (thats what I find anyway, I always become frenzied :p ). Obviously I cant really help with what you're doing wrong, but if you haven't spoken to your teacher about what you're doing wrong, you should. Just seriously, do lots of practise essays and hand them in for marking before assessments.

In essays you should spend 10% of your time (about 4 mins) to plans your response to make sure you dont go off in a tangent. This time is very important and yeah, if you havent been doing it this is probably why your not staying focused and getting spot on marks.
Thank you so much! And yes, I think with essays I need to work on the planning part, I always just think up a good first sentence then from there recount everything in a not-so-structured manner. Good luck with the HSC, I see you're a 10er too!

MrDimple

HSC
ive been focussing on general maths past paper HSC, and my english essays.

done some light study on the other 4 subjects, am i able to still do well if i put in alot of effort in the holidays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)