Study Frequency (1 Viewer)

rissoleux

HSC
Hey everyone!

I'd like to do very very well in the HSC (as we all do) and i was thikning about studying and the like, and i'm wondering how many people out there study on a daily basis regardless of exams? Is this something i should be doing?

Cheers

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
do whatever suits you the best, but remember its not how frequent you study or how many hrs you put in, its how WELL and EFFICIENTLY you study that counts.

metalhead_loz

HSC
It's definitely how efficiently you study. It's a good idea to revise and read over some notes each night...I should listen to my own advice

pritnep

Boredof?
HSC
"A little bit all the time" you really should be studying now in the lead up to the trials\HSC at least 1+ hours a night although I know that maybe impossible at this point with the amount of assessments but you should be thinking about planning a study timetable etc.

michaeln36

HSC
"its all about how effective you study, not how much you study"

TOTAL BULLSHIT.
That is just said by people to try and get away with doing small amounts of study - "i dont study much, but my study is effective"

Most people study about the SAME effectiveness. Study is study, unless ur a real dumass, your gonna learn something by studying.
THe thing that DOES VARY lots between hsc candidates is the AMOUNT they study. Some people put in 4 hours a day from the first day, other none until the actual HSC exams. This is what is going to determine your results, HOW MUCH YOU STUDY.

Dont try and use "effective" study excuse for studying less. Almost everyone studies at the same effectivness, so STUDY MORE to get an edge on others.

There is no formula of how many hours you should study, except more study = higher marks.

metalhead_loz

HSC
michaeln36 said:
Almost everyone studies at the same effectivness
QUOTE]

Totally disagree.

Dont expect to just study effectively the night before an exam and go really well.. Of course you have to study weeks before hand.

passion89

HSC
On weekdays, leave your after school time to do homework and revision of the work you've done during the week. On weekends, study everything you've done so far. This should minimise procrastination with assignments, too!

michaeln36

HSC
metalhead_loz said:
michaeln36 said:
Almost everyone studies at the same effectivness
QUOTE]

Totally disagree.

Dont expect to just study effectively the night before an exam and go really well.. Of course you have to study weeks before hand.
u completely missed my point.
I said the EFFECTIVNESS of study is quite constant between all people, so studying MORE (and in the weeks leading up to the test) is what will advantage you. Your post is then in favour of my point, and not "totally disgree".

My post was basically attacking the loosers that say "its not how much u study, but how effective you study that counts" ... which is total bs. Everyone learns when they study, so studying MORE than everyone else is the way to get an advantage, not some airy fairy idea that you study more 'effectivly' than others -- which is just an excuse for studying smaller amounts.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
michaeln36 said:
"its all about how effective you study, not how much you study"

TOTAL BULLSHIT.
That is just said by people to try and get away with doing small amounts of study - "i dont study much, but my study is effective"

Most people study about the SAME effectiveness. Study is study, unless ur a real dumass, your gonna learn something by studying.
THe thing that DOES VARY lots between hsc candidates is the AMOUNT they study. Some people put in 4 hours a day from the first day, other none until the actual HSC exams. This is what is going to determine your results, HOW MUCH YOU STUDY.

Dont try and use "effective" study excuse for studying less. Almost everyone studies at the same effectivness, so STUDY MORE to get an edge on others.

There is no formula of how many hours you should study, except more study = higher marks.
I never said studying effectively meant you study less, I told the person to do whatever suits them best ie however many hrs they want/need, but I pointed out that they should make sure its effective - thats the most important factor, not the amount of time.

Thinking that all people study the same and get the same results from it is a dumb assumption. Some people need longer times, others don't.

Haha its not as simple as "more study = higher marks".

Last edited:

Porcia

HSC
ok, tell us what mark u get michael when you get it ok :)

michaeln36

HSC
Porcia said:
ok, tell us what mark u get michael when you get it ok :)
i punched my half yearly marks into SAM and it gives me a UAI of 99.85 :p
and i go to a selective high school, so my report marks are not too unrealistically high.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
michaeln36 said:
i punched my half yearly marks into SAM and it gives me a UAI of 99.85 :p
and i go to a selective high school, so my report marks are not too unrealistically high.
half yearly marks are no indication of what your UAI is going to be, even if they stay the same

HSC
How effectively you study does hugely determine your success. If your a visual learner then listening to audio recordings of your notes over and over for an hour is going to do far less than using colours, mindmaps and symbols for an hour to remember and understand your work. Its all about utilising your time to gain the most out of it, time is the enemy really.

michaeln36

HSC
timobr0 said:
half yearly marks are no indication of what your UAI is going to be, even if they stay the same
ummm.. thats total bs.

of course they do not predict exactly ur uai, but they do give u a good guide.
Especially at selective high schools, since the quality of the canditure in ur school is very similar each year (since entrance mark similar, and teachers same).
my average rank in my subjects (in a grade of 150) is about 3rd, and i do subjects that are traditionally seen as 'high scaling' or 'hard'.

IF you do well in ur half yearlies, and keep taht up as i will do, then u will get quite a good uai.

robo-andie

HSC
I wouldn't say I study in a traditional sense.
I tend to (on my walk home from school) run through everything I was taught that day and make sure I do understand it all. Besides this, I don't do any study (revising notes etc) and I do just aswell as those who DO study.

I think it's BS when people say that studying = better marks. It is all relative to the intelligence of the person who is studying.
Some people NEED to study because they simply can't absorb chunks of information in one go. That's not to say that ALL people who study are like this, just a majority.

michaeln36 said:
ummm.. thats total bs.

of course they do not predict exactly ur uai, but they do give u a good guide.
Especially at selective high schools, since the quality of the canditure in ur school is very similar each year (since entrance mark similar, and teachers same).
my average rank in my subjects (in a grade of 150) is about 3rd, and i do subjects that are traditionally seen as 'high scaling' or 'hard'.

IF you do well in ur half yearlies, and keep taht up as i will do, then u will get quite a good uai.
Ok, wrong. It's not total BS.

Your school could be doing extremely well, you could be topping ALL your classes and still get a shit UAI. You can never accurately predict a UAI as it depends on the results of every student who is completing the HSC.

Also, don't get so hung up on your UAI. Even if it does turn out to be 99.85 (congrats if it does) it's what you do afterwards that determines your true intelligence. I know people who have gotten 95's or 98's and succeeded in getting into good universities and the courses they wanted, though they didn't have the ability to make anything of it, and eventually failed.

@ no one specifically - Just remember, your UAI ultimately means nothing and don't feel you can assume superiority over those who didn't get as high as you.

airie

airie <3 avatars :)
HSC
robo-andie said:
Your school could be doing extremely well, you could be topping ALL your classes and still get a shit UAI.
Really? How does that work? High school performance + high ranking = ... bad UAI? :confused:

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
UAI compares you to the rest of the state, so you may not get as "high" as you expect if the cohort is strong. Now whether it is bad or shit is a matter of personal interpretation. Ofcourse, it can happen the other way round, better UAI than expected.....

Last edited:

PF

HSC
lol u'd be surprised how few people actually study WEEKS before a test... u cant study "effectively" the nighit before a test and go well - but two nights before is ok

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)