Study guides - are they really THAT helpful? (2 Viewers)

d3vilz

HSC
Uni Grad
some are ok.

Macquarie Revision Guides are pretty good for summaries.

study/revision guides supplement what i learn from school.

electrolysis

congenital schmuck
HSC
Yes, because:
  • Theyre good for increasing the validity of your information as you'll have more sources
  • Also theyre good for extra practice with questions
  • And normally they all cut straight to the point unlike textbooks which lead you all over the place

Cerry

HSC
I got the excel chem book, and I find parts of it totally confusing, and it hasn't been very useful for me. Other people think they're brilliant though.
The revise in a month book was better, but obviously, it's not much use until you've covered stuff. I got one for maths, too, and they don't really tell you all that much in terms of how to actually do things, but they're really useful for working out what you need to go back and look at, and what you don't really need to cover again.

X-terc

HSC
N/A
Excel imo is so brief its unbelievable. I personally dont like. I reccommend MAC study guides for Legal, business and Eco. besides that i dont use any other guides.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
Study Guides to me are crap - unless you've bludged the whole year and have no clue what's going on 2 weeks before an exam (how do I know - because study guides saved my ass plenty of times before).

But yeah - for proper study - just get a text book, read and summarise.

TunaFish

HSC
Most only aim to get you to a band 3-4 due to their brevity. Textbooks are much better.

However, you may find them to be helpful if they are used for getting a feel of the subject before your class discusses it or as a quick review.

Scissors

HSC
i got through my hsc using the macquarie study guides.

HSC
depends it is always good to get your note from multiple sources

the IPT excel one is really good

chltmddus112

HSC
I find study guides really useful.

I mean, for Physics, i got Excel and Macquarie, i use them both when I study..

It helps u when u make note.

Sarah182

Herpes Member
HSC
Study guides are very broad and dont go into much depth at all (especially the older Excel guides).
Im not a big fan of the excel guides, the new ones (release 2008 Im pretty sure) are much better than the old excel guides- my chemistry one is bigger than my textbook however it will cost you about $40, Im pretty sure they are only are released for chem, bio, physics and maths though.

My Macquarie PDHPE guide is great, its still basic but is very useful for extension on the textbooks I use.

I prefer to study using textbooks and use the study guides as an extension or a grounding for base knowledge, it varies study guide to study guide and subject to subject.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)