Study Hours (1 Viewer)

How many hows a night do you study? (for year 12 students)

• < 1 hour

Votes: 41 41.4%
  • 1-2 hours

Votes: 20 20.2%
  • 2-3 hours

Votes: 23 23.2%
  • 4-5 hours

Votes: 8 8.1%
  • 6-7hours

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • 7+ hours

Votes: 5 5.1%

• Total voters

ballerinabarbie

bundy for me
HSC
yeah me and my friends have come to the conclusion that people that say they do 4 hours (or more a night) are really just sitting in their room's pretending... i think 2-3 hours is a much more reasonable number, coz you aren't getting too tired/bored etc... plus u gotta do other things than study... i mean the girl at my school that got 100 last yr played sport, debated etc.. and said it was these things that got her through the hsc, not endless hours of study!

marko

yeah, i agree with the ballerina.
sif anyone does an average 7hrs of REAL, HELPFUL study per night. Sitting at the desk for that long is the biggest waste of time, you need a good balance or parties, alcohol, girls and school work unless you have no natural ability whatsoever :D ;)..
you can still have the some of the best times of your life during year 11/12 .. you just need to study effectively/efficiently and realise it isnt the only thing that will ensure a successful life

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Whoa. Anything over 1 hr is too much for me unless its the day before an assessment.
How can people study when theres so much stuff on the net to do and so many tv shows to watch?
And doesn't anybody have afternoon naps? :)

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Our school (public, non-selective) said we should do 2 hours of work a night at the very least (homework and study-not just straight study), but more if we had upcoming assessments and exams.
However, I did not follow this advice...I didn't do any study during the year until it was 1 night or 2 before exams, and didn't do any set homework either. I studied quite a bit before the HSC during that 3 weeks off, and ended up with an ok UAI. (OK for me at least-I got 92, that may be seen as disasterous by some peoples standings.)
In hindsight, had I actually had done that advised 2 hours a night, I probably could have done quite well, and it wouldn't have been too stressful.

LaZy_KoReAn

DrunkenMC
HSC
Originally posted by Butterfly_Wings
Our school (public, non-selective) said we should do 2 hours of work a night at the very least (homework and study-not just straight study), but more if we had upcoming assessments and exams.
However, I did not follow this advice...I didn't do any study during the year until it was 1 night or 2 before exams, and didn't do any set homework either. I studied quite a bit before the HSC during that 3 weeks off, and ended up with an ok UAI. (OK for me at least-I got 92, that may be seen as disasterous by some peoples standings.)
In hindsight, had I actually had done that advised 2 hours a night, I probably could have done quite well, and it wouldn't have been too stressful.
WHAT YOU CALL 92 LOW IN OTHER PEOPLE'S STANDARDS?

I CALL THAT EXCELLENT

Waldo

Hiding Somewhere
HSC
hmm..92 thats pretty low
nah j/k its alright
but i wonder what u would have got if u did study?....

deyveed

School Leaver
HSC
Yeah. 92 is alright. Just passed by a few marks eh?
:)

gnrlies

HSC
I dont get why people have to study that much!

Like i mean the courses that you do arent terribly hard! I mean the final exam is fairly straight final. Maybe assignments you can kinda alter here and there, but I can see that doing 2 - 3 hours a night not to mention some people doing 7 hours is far too much! lol

I mean what ever does it for you, but i mean surely studying that much isn;t healthy!

White Rabbit

Bloody Shitcakes
HSC
How can people study so much?? It can't be healthy studying so much... I only do bits before exams and although don't get flash , continual high 90's, I average 80's and 70's, I don't stress like alot of other people do... Whats the point in doing so much? It's only a few exams...

Butterfly_Wings

Cornflake Girl
HSC
Originally posted by LaZy_KoReAn
WHAT YOU CALL 92 LOW IN OTHER PEOPLE'S STANDARDS?

I CALL THAT EXCELLENT
lol.
Well, I thought it was excellent too, for me. :D But it's bad by a lot of peoples standards on this board. (check out the UAI thread...people disappointed by their 98. UAIs:eek: ) I suppose if you studied for 7 hours a day like some of the people on here are and you only wound up with a 92 you'd be pretty disappointed.

m3h_m3h

HSC
dude 92 is not bad at all!!!
im pretty lazy. i find it hard to motivate myself to study. at 17 there is so many distractions.
i dont do anything at all. waste all my time stuffin around. i theres one thing i woulda done if i had the chance, i woulda done all my homework since start of yr11. then i'd be pretty set. but yeh. guess i just gotta cram.
PS: i just started doin work 2day for my trials which start on monday, even now im still sorta bludgin. lol.

honky tonk

in Miracle World
HSC
It changes every night, but I would guess an average of around 2-3 hours of study/homework.

Somebody once told me that studying for more than 5 hours was unhealthy and that 20% of what you study is forgotten by the end of it.

S

staity

that poll was reassuring. with trials like 3 weeks away, im gonna have to start studying, ill end up doing like 2-3hours a day max. as m3h m3h said, theres so many distractions; mates, motorbikes, girls, the real world, etc. and all my family are like "hey lets be farmers, you musnt need to study that much", so it isnt the best study environment in the world :S:S:S ive got a mate who studies all the time, and doesnt have a life. he'll get like 99 for a UAI, but seriously, i dont think its worth it for the sort of life he has had throughout his teenage years. ive mucked around a fair bit, but ill be happy with low 90's. just tried to reach a compromise over the last 5 years, and its worked out alright.

peters

i just found motivation to study, few months ago, people should attent careers day and/or interview with careers adviser it gave me MOTIVATION

i study around 3 hrs a nite = approx 1 1/2 for homework and 1hr for revision maybe 10 mins for preparation read "sub headings" for each topic to get an idea what is to be taught next period .. thats all i do rilly ... for those who stuy 7 hrs "get a life" - only thing in my head

now i study about 3hrs each nite, past 3 days havent studied, because i figure i studied 1 week straight 3-4 hrs have few days off before trials begins in week 4, bleh gotta get back to work 2morrow

kow_dude

HSC
lol , i'm in yr 11 trying to study 5 hours a day ~
but by the time i come home, i'm too tired,
i do average 4 hours a day

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
i feel heaps pathetic. im not really doing much study at the moment, im going to start on monday (hopefully), but i think it is important to keep up on homework and assignments. the other day i spent 13hrs straight on the net doing a chem assessment :(

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)