Study smart not hard/long? (1 Viewer)

mac1996

HSC
I've heard tonnes of people saying this, especially the 2012ers from my school. What is considered smart study and what is not considered smart study?

Immortalp00n

HSC
smart study is study where u are 100% focused..
a student can spend 45 minutes of pure study head down and at work
and achieve more than a student who was at his desk for 4 hours but with music, bos, fb and youtube and shit opened...

smart study also means like studying whats needed, pretty much cutting the bullshit.
do a dot point--> do questions
none of this bullshit and stuff etc..

Aysce

HSC
^ I agree with what Immortalp00n has said.

In addition, I believe smart study constitutes study sessions that have frequent breaks as opposed to studying for very long periods of time where your focus begins to deteriorate and memory retention eventually becomes negligible. List out some short term goals that are realistic and set an appropriate amount of time for you to complete it to an adequate or satisfactory level (based on your standards).

HSC
Uni Grad
You should basically study to the point where you feel that you have mastered the content. Could be one hour, could be 10 hours. Different for each and every person.

Also, reduce procrastination in that study time. Make a good solid session where you leave distractions behind and focus on the content so you will absorb it quicker and better, thus reducing time required to study :)

Sathius005

HSC
Uni Grad
You need to study both smart and hard. When I did Economics in High School; I studied smartly by not having to cram before the days leading up to the final exam. But one week before the exam I did 20 hours of intensive study each day. I managed to get 90 per cent in Economics.

Motivation, concentration and organisation are the key to study success.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
You need to study both smart and hard. When I did Economics in High School; I studied smartly by not having to cram before the days leading up to the final exam. But one week before the exam I did 20 hours of intensive study each day. I managed to get 90 per cent in Economics.

I don't think 20 hours a day for a full week in smart or good studying behaviour. You would have been better off getting more sleep.

AAEldar

Premium Member
HSC
The only definition of smart study is that in which you are most productive and it is most effective for you.

iSplicer

HSC
Uni Grad
I don't think 20 hours a day for a full week in smart or good studying behaviour. You would have been better off getting more sleep.
+1.

There are a bunch of people each year who get 99.95 by doing a couple of hours a day. I was not one of them, nor is that group the majority by any means. I studied as much as I possibly could (all my study was efficient, relevant and streamlined) and I still had to push 9-10 hours a day in the holidays, 40 hours a week during term and ~25 hours/week during exams to get the marks I did.

Studying smart is VERY important, but in order to compete with the best you need to study smart AND hard.

EDIT: I still had time for TV shows and Test Cricket throughout =P

Last edited:

Nooblet94

Premium Member
HSC

wut.

timeslowsdown

Everything for the Lord
HSC
N/A
Smart study involves studying in allocated periods of time (for eg. 1/2 hour blocks - you won't be able to study effectively for long blocks without breaks), and rotating fairly amongst subjects. It's about knowing exactly what is required of every subject, and targeting those areas in need, instead of just studying what has already been covered/what you find easy. It doesn't involve simply reading over notes etc; it involves learning them and inculcating the most important concepts in a way that is appropriate for you (personally, I studied best by talking to myself i.e explaining concepts to myself) and most importantly, applying these concepts by doing past questions.

GoldyOrNugget

Señor Member
HSC
Understand, don't memorise. You don't necessarily have to do any study (at least, not in the traditional sense of sitting down for x hours and reading a textbook/writing notes) to get good marks. I believe the most important thing is to map out relationships between concepts in your mind and be able to find abstractions that allow for shortcuts. This is especially important in the more academic subjects, where questions aren't just copy-pasted from the syllabus. I found that a good way of studying this way is to focus on very hard problems that take a long time, rather than pumping out answers lots of easy questions. The only point in the HSC when I did 'traditional' study was in the two weeks leading up to the HSC exams, when I wanted to ensure full content coverage -- otherwise, I found that it was ineffective compared to developing a deep understanding.

The only things you have to watch out for with this studying methodology is a) making sure you learn all the content, b) making sure you train accuracy (esp in maths), and c) learning the 'HSC-way' to answer questions (esp in the sciences).

LolaBell

HSC
I have a question. What if you have homework (as well as the need to study) for say 5 subjects so you allocate a set amount of time for each but then you come across a few concepts in one or two subjects that take you a long time (just as much as a full session of one or two other subjects) to really understand.. what do you do?

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
I have a question. What if you have homework (as well as the need to study) for say 5 subjects so you allocate a set amount of time for each but then you come across a few concepts in one or two subjects that take you a long time (just as much as a full session of one or two other subjects) to really understand.. what do you do?
Ohh something that's really important with study;
1) I never was a time based study person, but you always gotta acknowledge some subjects will be more work for you. For me, I naturally suck hardcore at maths so a large chunk of my study was for that sub.
2) Goal based study is a good way to accomodate this-you have things to check off for each subject but if some subs take you longer it's accommodated for.

mac1996

HSC

fuarrr i hope i get to be like you
respect.....

mac1996

HSC
Understand, don't memorise. You don't necessarily have to do any study (at least, not in the traditional sense of sitting down for x hours and reading a textbook/writing notes) to get good marks. I believe the most important thing is to map out relationships between concepts in your mind and be able to find abstractions that allow for shortcuts. This is especially important in the more academic subjects, where questions aren't just copy-pasted from the syllabus. I found that a good way of studying this way is to focus on very hard problems that take a long time, rather than pumping out answers lots of easy questions. The only point in the HSC when I did 'traditional' study was in the two weeks leading up to the HSC exams, when I wanted to ensure full content coverage -- otherwise, I found that it was ineffective compared to developing a deep understanding.

The only things you have to watch out for with this studying methodology is a) making sure you learn all the content, b) making sure you train accuracy (esp in maths), and c) learning the 'HSC-way' to answer questions (esp in the sciences).
yeah i normally understand
but the wordy dot points in lets say chemistry
i memorise to write the top responses coz most of the questions that cover those 'wordy' dot points are very similar

mac1996

HSC
practise those concepts by doing questions, in order to improve your skills so you can answer those concepts very easily
this will give you more time with spending in other sections or the exam, eventually resulting in a better overall mark

Breeby

HSC
I never did much studying and I didn't really get how I did pretty well until I read this forum thing. I sat through A LOT of throwing but I never did any homework or study. I guess the school and tutoring helped reinforce my understanding enough for me to do decently. DON'T DO WHAT I DID, THOUGH! So many things could've gone wrong!

Eg155

HSC
+1.

There are a bunch of people each year who get 99.95 by doing a couple of hours a day. I was not one of them, nor is that group the majority by any means. I studied as much as I possibly could (all my study was efficient, relevant and streamlined) and I still had to push 9-10 hours a day in the holidays, 40 hours a week during term and ~25 hours/week during exams to get the marks I did.

Studying smart is VERY important, but in order to compete with the best you need to study smart AND hard.

EDIT: I still had time for TV shows and Test Cricket throughout =P
Did u study 10hrs a day for the 6 week break too?? mirin'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)