sab13562

HSC
na bro we're not doing this
it hasn't even been 3 weeks since the last HSC exam
how could such questions emerge?
please just enjoy the holidays its just started
if you feel bored just go to luna park or something
but na na na we're not doing this again
Lol. I've studied so much these past few years it kinda feels weird to not study. Dw, I won't be doing any study anytime soon. 😅😅

sab13562

HSC
1. Would it be wise to get the textbooks for my subjects now and start taking notes during this break?
No, enjoy your break (plus textbooks may change).
2. When should I start taking notes, now or mid January since uni starts early march?
Once University has commenced.

3. Should I have two books for each subject, that is, one for textbook summary/notes and one for notes taken during lectures/class?
I use to just print the lecture slides and scribble on them for my in-class notes for the majority of my subjects, and then do practice questions/tests in the form of notes. Some subjects it may be benefit to supplement using textbooks, so keep seperate notes from your tutorial/lecture slides.

4. Do unis heavily rely on textbooks for study/revision or more on in class notes?
Similar to school, it depends.
For example, one of my law subjects it was like 3-4 different textbooks, tutorial notes, then lectures with respect to depth.

5. How ahead should I be in my content before starting uni?
Do not start, you deserve a break.
Thanks!

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah can confirm 90+ is usually first in a lot of subjects 2nd Year onwards. Sometimes it's lower like in my 3rd year Analytical chemistry course I got an 88 which was the highest mark. A thing to understand for future uni students, uni marks are often raw marks and there isn't the same type of aligning / scaling you see in HSC, where a band 6 might actually be getting a 80/100. In uni if you get a 90 that is a mark without any adjustment to it most of the time

So if you are getting 90 in HSC it's not the same as a 90 in uni
On this, one of my subjects the only way you could get an "HD" in the final essay was if it was able to be published in a journal (very difficult, and a high standard) so you'd have very few individuals (or none) in the unit of study who would be able to get an HD.

DarkOperator618

HSC
na bro we're not doing this
it hasn't even been 3 weeks since the last HSC exam
how could such questions emerge?
please just enjoy the holidays its just started
if you feel bored just go to luna park or something
but na na na we're not doing this again
this guy should be locked up for thinking he/she should study before uni begins lmao

vishnay

God
HSC
In what respect specifically?

In terms of difficulty it's harder because you have to be self directed and there isn't as much help

Regarding workload this is dependent on the person. Factors such as the degree, your academic goals, are you working a job and travel time affect this. In general it is more busy than high school because you need to balance many things while HSC is just about doing one thing (studying).

Personally for me it was very tough compared to high school because I tried to do too many things at once. I was trying to top in my subjects, which required lots of work and dedication, doing a job and also trying to gain research experience through my own initiative in approaching supervisors and asking them if I could work on any projects. I also had a very long travel time of 1.5-2 hours each way going there and coming back.

Those factors together combined to make it very demanding and for sure had impacts on my health in terms of sleeping got messed up and it's taking me a long time now to try fix that.

However, this is just my own personal experience. If you aren't trying to aim that high then you can balance the time better and enjoy uni more. I had to do those things because I planned on doing a PhD after that undergraduate degree and so my marks were very important for getting entry, as opposed to someone just wanting to graduate from the degree and then go into the workforce where decent marks and good experience is what's required.
is the teaching better at uni?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
is the teaching better at uni?
Can't really make a generalising statement like that. Like high school some teachers are better than others at explaining things. Same thing at uni

enoilgam

HSC
To second pretty much everyone above, please have a rest before uni for your own sake. There is nothing to be gained really.

The best advice I can give you is to get out of the grades/study mindset. With the HSC, you essentially just need X mark to get into Y degree (a debate unto itself with transfers and the like but I digress). With uni, it isn't as simple as X Grades get you Y jobs. During the next few years of your life prior to full time work, you need to focus on building your professional profile, of which university is one part. So I would try to get decent grades (a Credit average is good enough for around 75-80% of entry level/grad roles), gain relevant work experience (i.e. internships), general work experience and some extra-circulars/volunteer work. It isn't worth killing yourself for HDs if your professional profile is blank otherwise, because in that situation you wont be very competitive for graduate roles.

I will caveat this by saying this is general advice, obviously if you want to transfer to something like Med or do a post-grad program then marks become more important.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)