Studying both MX2 and EX2 (1 Viewer)

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone has studied, or is planning on studying both Extension 2 courses?
Did they find it incredibly difficult, or is it manageable?

Here are my half-yearly marks and ranks for yr. 11 as i don't have my yearly results yet

Mathematics - 97/100, 2/42
Ext 1 Maths - 48/50, 1/19
Advanced English - 99/100, 2/76
Ext 1 English - 42/50, 3/20
Chemistry - 95/100, 1/41
Physics - 87/100, 4/27 (Guess what subject I'm dropping..)

And to cut a long story short, our Ext 1 English teacher decided to leave us in Term 1 Week 5, so we had a new one in Week 7 that started us on a new module, meaning that mark is based off one exam for 3 weeks studying the dystopian genre :p

And I study Economics by distance education so I don't have a mark & rank for that, but I have done two assessment tasks and got 100% in both, so..

MATHmaster

HSC
N/A
Well done on your marks/ranks, they are really good! Um I for one am only doing MX2 but not EX2. Some of my friends do both and said it is very manageable if a few hours are spent on each every night. Just curious, what school do you go to? Its seems like you come from a very top selective school because 99/100 in Eng Adv and coming 2nd deserves a 1st, maybe the school assessments aren't challenging. Good luck!

theind1996

HSC
N/A
Well done on your marks/ranks, they are really good! Um I for one am only doing MX2 but not EX2. Some of my friends do both and said it is very manageable if a few hours are spent on each every night. Just curious, what school do you go to? Its seems like you come from a very top selective school because 99/100 in Eng Adv and coming 2nd deserves a 1st, maybe the school assessments aren't challenging. Good luck!
It's more likely this, since top selective schools don't have such small Advanced English cohorts.

And to OP, imo, try both for a few weeks, if you're coping, go ahead - if you're struggling, drop one.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeww, I actually live on the far north coast of nsw, but i did attempt the selective schools test for fun and i was able to go to north sydney boys if i wanted to. Our school has 150 kids that started year 12, but seriously 30% are doing it cause they couldnt get an apprenticeship and you can imagine how many standard classes we have..

Yeah i dunno if theyre not challenging enough or if i study effectively. e.g i got 84% in my first MX1 assessment task, but then i realised year 11 is not the same as year 10. Hence i studied a bit for my half-yearly for maths and got 99%, and that was because i forgot a negative from one line to the next :/

MiseryParade

HSC
I'm doing both EX2 and MX2 if my marks are good enough to get me through. I'm not sure if I got into MX2, but I'm pretty sure I've been accepted into EX2. We'll see.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Our maths department was pretty disappointed this year, they were going to ask who wanted to do it and select from them. Turns out only the top 3 wanted to do it, rather than 7 or 8 that they have had in previous years. Our English department was ecstatic, as 8 people nominated themselves, rather than the usual 4 or 5.

My plan would be to get my idea formulated in Term 4 for EX2 and then write most/all of it over the Christmas holidays so I can refine/add motifs etc. for the rest of the year and have a really sophisticated piece by the end

hayabusaboston

HSC
Yeww, I actually live on the far north coast of nsw, but i did attempt the selective schools test for fun and i was able to go to north sydney boys if i wanted to. Our school has 150 kids that started year 12, but seriously 30% are doing it cause they couldnt get an apprenticeship and you can imagine how many standard classes we have..

Yeah i dunno if theyre not challenging enough or if i study effectively. e.g i got 84% in my first MX1 assessment task, but then i realised year 11 is not the same as year 10. Hence i studied a bit for my half-yearly for maths and got 99%, and that was because i forgot a negative from one line to the next :/
Same here bro, I even did it five (yes FIVE) times for one of my MX1 assessments hahaha. Five missed - or + signs. Sigh.

hayabusaboston

HSC
Our maths department was pretty disappointed this year, they were going to ask who wanted to do it and select from them. Turns out only the top 3 wanted to do it, rather than 7 or 8 that they have had in previous years. Our English department was ecstatic, as 8 people nominated themselves, rather than the usual 4 or 5.

My plan would be to get my idea formulated in Term 4 for EX2 and then write most/all of it over the Christmas holidays so I can refine/add motifs etc. for the rest of the year and have a really sophisticated piece by the end
You're one of those fucking lucky bastards who is good at english AND maths. Fuck im jealous lol.

lochnessmonsta

Booging
HSC
Uni Grad
Same here bro, I even did it five (yes FIVE) times for one of my MX1 assessments hahaha. Five missed - or + signs. Sigh.
Haha that would be the worst. Before my yearly exam my teacher reminded me to look over my answers and check that i had the negatives in the answers if they needed them..

I dunno, I used to be real shit and then i got a really good teacher this year that motivated me heaps and i did a whole bunch of practice essays before exams. It's a lot of work Advanced, compared even to EX1

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I did Maths Extension 2 and English Extension 2. It's perfectly manageable, you just have to learn to manage your time. I managed my time quite poorly in hindsight, but I still went fairly well - especially for EX2.

Your marks are fine. What I'd suggest for EX2 is that you have some sort of idea of what you want your major work to be, going in.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)