Studying during the term? (1 Viewer)

enoilgam

HSC
Curious to know if people actually study/make study notes/revise during the term!

What do you guys do throughout the term? Do you just do all your assignments and leave study for another day?
And to those who have completed the HSC, what did you guys do? (i.e. did you make notes and stuff throughout the term or just do homework and whatnot) and if you have any good tips to share, feel free to post here ^_^
Back when I did my HSC, I mainly spent most of my time at home working on assignments and preparing for exams as they came up. In addition, I revised consistently for maths and did a bit of odd revision here and there for my other subjects. In regards to most of my notes, I did them closer to an exam or the exam periods. With me, I found that I retained way more information by actually writing notes as opposed to reading them. So if I wrote them earlier in the year and revised them much later, I didnt learn nearly as much, hence why I didnt make them throughout the year. I would have prefered to make them throughout the year as this is easier, but that strategy wasnt very effective for me.

Overall, as I have said many times on BoS, study is about finding what works for you. The strategies I used might not be nearly as effective for you as they were for me and vice versa. For example, I know one person who got in the mid 90s for Economics and their study consisted of reading the textbook and going through past papers (where they just answered the questions in their head). If I did that, I'd have probably got in the 70s - I needed to write down notes for economics and go through past papers in a very detailed manner. So again, you need to focus on you with study.

Is 3 hours after school and 6 hours in the weekend too much study for someone who is in year 9???????
I'd say that it is excessive to be honest (I doubt whether most HSC students do that much, even high achievers). The value of putting in an effort in the younger years is seriously underrated - having established study habits/methods prior to entering the HSC is extremely valuable. Plus, these habits are easier to form when you're younger - the older you get, the harder it is to change. That being said, you dont have to go overboard with study in Years 9 and 10 - you should try to enjoy it. You also run the risk of fizzling out before year 12 - I've seen it more than a few times in HS and especially on BoS where people have been gung-ho in Years 9, 10 and 11 only to completely crash and burn during the HSC.

That's a week, but more for the later stages of the HSC when you have so much content to go over. I would say 40 hours a week is the average for anyone aiming for an ATAR of 95+.
Maybe towards trials/finals, but I doubt whether most people who average 95+ do that much per week.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)