Studying during the term? (1 Viewer)

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Curious to know if people actually study/make study notes/revise during the term!

What do you guys do throughout the term? Do you just do all your assignments and leave study for another day?
And to those who have completed the HSC, what did you guys do? (i.e. did you make notes and stuff throughout the term or just do homework and whatnot) and if you have any good tips to share, feel free to post here ^_^

timeflies

HSC
I made an after school timetable which I try to follow as much as possible. It's just like a school timetable but at home! I also included a slot for homework everyday. There are exceptions ofcourse when there is an important assessment task that needs to be completed etc. but I do try to follow the timetable as much as possible. It does work well for me but its really annoying when I'm tired and don't end up following it properly and need to make adjustments :p

dim-sims

HSC
I usually just come home and summarise the notes I've written for that day and try to start/do assignments. Lots of self discipline involved but hopefully it will be all worth it in the end.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
make notes and complete homework/assignments as soon as possible, this way you also have more free time.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I made an after school timetable which I try to follow as much as possible. It's just like a school timetable but at home! I also included a slot for homework everyday. There are exceptions ofcourse when there is an important assessment task that needs to be completed etc. but I do try to follow the timetable as much as possible. It does work well for me but its really annoying when I'm tired and don't end up following it properly and need to make adjustments :p
Haha I know what you mean! I had to adjust my timetable like 50 times before it's right. I adjusted it again yesterday as well :x
Does your timetable include time to study, as well as do homework/finish assessments?

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
I usually just come home and summarise the notes I've written for that day and try to start/do assignments. Lots of self discipline involved but hopefully it will be all worth it in the end.
How long do you work for on a typical weekday? It sounds pretty intensive!

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
make notes and complete homework/assignments as soon as possible, this way you also have more free time.
Did you get your notes up to date with this method? Because I find I have so much homework and assessments, I don't actually have time to make notes.

dim-sims

HSC
How long do you work for on a typical weekday? It sounds pretty intensive!
Oh god for a typical week day I don't think I could give you an exact number of hours or anything but it really isn't too intensive at all.

I enjoy most of my subjects so it's not too much of a pain to work through the assignments.

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
Did you get your notes up to date with this method? Because I find I have so much homework and assessments, I don't actually have time to make notes.
ensure time managament is perfect, situate most of your time to weaker subjects and ensure you enable the most study/revision on them. keep notes up to date by completing them alongside assignments and homework.

timeflies

HSC
Haha I know what you mean! I had to adjust my timetable like 50 times before it's right. I adjusted it again yesterday as well :x
Does your timetable include time to study, as well as do homework/finish assessments?
Yeah the timetable is based on what subjects I did that day so I can come home and make some notes and then leave some time to do any homework. I do prioritise notes over homework most of the time as the homework we get is sometimes really a waste of time and I try to rush through it. However if it is something important I do give it some time. If there is an assessment or test that I really need to do/study for, I disregard the timetable completely sometimes!

iJimmy

not dead
HSC
N/A
who does notes on paper compared to laptop ?

timeflies

HSC
I prefer doing mine on paper because I feel I learn more that way even though its slower. That's just my opinion!

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
Due to the nature of the subjects I have chosen as well as the structure of my subjects at my school, I didn't really get much assignments throughout my HSC year, but I would usually make notes for the science subjects at the end of each week as opposed to every day, and I would write it on paper-for me, it helped a lot with my memory. But basically during the school term
1)I would assign at least 90 minutes of rest after school-so it is like 30 minutes for afternoon tea and 1 hour for dinner, I would make a to-do list of all the things I needed to do that day-preparation for assessment, homework and study(extra questions), it is usually on the subjects I do on school that day-and the list is always slightly longer than realistically what I can achieve-because I want to push myself to maximise my time efficiency

2)I would take a 5-10 minute break for each hour of study, and during that time, I would either re-hydrate myself or procrastinate on the net to relax and refresh myself-time management and planning of each session-whether mentally or on paper is extremely crucial

3)I would write down any questions I found hard or I didn't understand, and I kind of regret the fact I didn't ask these questions the very next day, but basically I would accumulate these questions, say over a period of several weeks, by which I would then ask the teacher in one go or I would try to solve the questions myself

4)I would also try to do practice papers and past HSC exam questions on the topic I was studying for-whether it was chemistry, physics or maths as soon as possible(I.e. when I did my textbook questions as well as other extra ones)

5)I would often set aside the weekend for more intensive studying/practice/reading ahead, but in general, you have to consider whether the homework will be beneficial to your understanding-because sometimes teachers set random homework that wastes time and doesn't add to your understanding, and under these very rare circumstances, I choose not to do it because of the often significant amount of exams/assessments tasks I had to study for-prioritising is everything

But I think the most important element of studying efficiently is to listen in class to what the teacher have to say, because if you understand the content in class, you don't have to waste the time to re-learn the concepts yourself at home, and of course-you need to find a source of motivation and consistent self-discipline to ensure you consistently study very hard both during the term and the school 'holidays' to maximise your chance to getting the best ATAR possible. Best wishes for the year:)

shaliaf

HSC
I prefer doing mine on paper because I feel I learn more that way even though its slower. That's just my opinion!
I make all my notse on paper as well, especially for the sciences where I find there is a lot of content to get through when making notes on the syllabus dot points. although it is slower after I'm done i feel as though I understand the topic really well and while i do look over my notes every now and then I don't really need them. Only exception is for chemistry practicals where the school has like a basic report guide for each prac and then we answer questions and fill it in e.t.c I print those and essays for english out.

panda15

Alligator Navigator
HSC
Notes shouldn't take you long at all. I find it ridiculous the amount of detail the notes posted in the resource section go into. I had notes for physics and chem, both of which were 40 pages hand written, whereas notes in the resource section often went over 150 pages typed. Three things wrong with this:
1. The time spent writing the notes detracts from time that could be spent studying properly.
2. Reading the notes would take at least 3 hours, even for fast readers.
3. It's almost impossible to remember 150 pages of such detailed content.
Your notes should be short and to the point so that you can read over them relatively quickly and give you a good chance of memorising the syllabus. If you work on your notes throughout the year, they should take 10-20 mins a day throughout the year, which you can easiliy fit into your day even with homework/assessments. And trust me, it will benefit you extremely well if you have your own personalised notes to read over and over leading up to exams.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Curious to know if people actually study/make study notes/revise during the term!

What do you guys do throughout the term? Do you just do all your assignments and leave study for another day?
And to those who have completed the HSC, what did you guys do? (i.e. did you make notes and stuff throughout the term or just do homework and whatnot) and if you have any good tips to share, feel free to post here ^_^

I made notes for English, Chem, Physics. For 4-unit and 3-unit, I just did all the questions in the textbook.

In essence, I spent around 40 hours for study per fortnight. I would take one or two days of per week, whenever I felt like it.

I found that my notes for Chem and Physics were not needed before HSC, because I did 10 years in past-papers each twice. Reading the marking criteria for questions and the guidelines was much more beneficial than reading notes.

However, I will need the notes for when I am starting uni for Chem and Physics.

The process of making notes is also very beneficial and helps you retain information really easily, without having to ROTE learn anything. I strongly recommend you make notes. The only time I read over my notes was just before topic tests and the trials. When it came to HSC, I already had the info, just needed to improve my answering techniques.

In English, I would make notes in class as the teacher is one of the best resources you can get.
Just before an English exam, I would practice past papers under timed conditions and stuff. This repetition process is advantageous and actually can prevent you from re-writing pre-written essays.

Good Luck.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Notes shouldn't take you long at all. I find it ridiculous the amount of detail the notes posted in the resource section go into. I had notes for physics and chem, both of which were 40 pages hand written, whereas notes in the resource section often went over 150 pages typed. Three things wrong with this:
1. The time spent writing the notes detracts from time that could be spent studying properly.
2. Reading the notes would take at least 3 hours, even for fast readers.
3. It's almost impossible to remember 150 pages of such detailed content.
Your notes should be short and to the point so that you can read over them relatively quickly and give you a good chance of memorising the syllabus. If you work on your notes throughout the year, they should take 10-20 mins a day throughout the year, which you can easiliy fit into your day even with homework/assessments. And trust me, it will benefit you extremely well if you have your own personalised notes to read over and over leading up to exams.
I find notes really long to write because I have to do things in depth before I can summarise....tbh writing notes is actually how I revise. I guess I am a bit of a crammer that way. But if you don't make detailed notes, don't you worry about missing any detail that may come up in the test?

I'm thinking of making 3 sets of notes for my theory subjects: intensive/detailed set, a summary of the detailed notes and a summary of a summary. Would that potentially be too much?

Thanks for the tip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
Yeah the timetable is based on what subjects I did that day so I can come home and make some notes and then leave some time to do any homework. I do prioritise notes over homework most of the time as the homework we get is sometimes really a waste of time and I try to rush through it. However if it is something important I do give it some time. If there is an assessment or test that I really need to do/study for, I disregard the timetable completely sometimes!
That's interesting. I tried doing that method of time tabling but it was a disaster because some subjects ahem English adv ahem took too much precedence over everything else

But what about homework like maths, do you put time away to finish it everyday? I feel as if I need to do it everyday to keep up so I don't fall behind.

rumbleroar

Survivor of the HSC
HSC
who does notes on paper compared to laptop ?
Laptop

I'm constantly revising them and making them better. Also aesthetic quality of word > my ugly handwriting lol I can't look at my notes if they're ugly

Kurosaki

True Fail Kid
HSC
I find notes really long to write because I have to do things in depth before I can summarise....tbh writing notes is actually how I revise. I guess I am a bit of a crammer that way. But if you don't make detailed notes, don't you worry about missing any detail that may come up in the test?

I'm thinking of making 3 sets of notes for my theory subjects: intensive/detailed set, a summary of the detailed notes and a summary of a summary. Would that potentially be too much?

Thanks for the tip!

You should probably just make the one set and use the rest of the time for past papers and whatnot.
Just my 2c :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)