Studying English (1 Viewer)

Ozz^E

I think memorising a standard essay is a really good method. But the important thing is that the essay be just right, which isnt hard, coz instead of 40 mins u can take 2 months in getting a 'perfect' copy done. But keep in mind that the 'perfect' copy will be different for everyone. It all depends on wat ur aiming to get, on wat u want to get. If u want an 80 in eng adv, then obviously ur essay doesnt have to be as good as someone hoping for a 90 or above.

In regards to wat question: USE THE SYLLABUS, look at the module's title and have a look at last yr hsc questionplus other main trialz. The formulation of the question is very important, or else u could end up wasting a lot of time. But in essence thats not the hard part (and neither is the memorising), the actual essay is were the work is required.

Having said that, it doesnt mean u can ease up elsewhere, there is no better alternative to 'thorough knowlegde of texts' in reagrds to themes, techniques etc.

:D

Nelly

Originally posted by Morgues
what question do you make this initial essay answer to
Just the basic standard one?
I don't base it on anything, I take a look at the task criteria, e.g. the one that I am doing right now for Wednesday, it states: "Analysis of the way textual forms shape meaning." So I get that, and write 2 paragraphs on it, one with BR, and the other with BNW. general paragraphs, which entail all forms of information. Just follow the Hokey Pokey thing!!!

Originally posted by Morgues
And you people who memorise have never been caught out by a left wing question?
I personally haven't, maybe other people, but in the HSC, they can't be too specific. So just go out there, and give it your best shot ;) . hehe.

sif not 99

memorising an essay appears to be a good idea, it probably is, but dont fall into the trap of responding to the question that you want, rather than what you are being asked. Just be careful not to fall into that trap and doubly make certain that you address the questions and the rubiric because if u dont ur up sh*t creek without a paddle ppl

ben

thanks guys, sounds pretty convincing.

I'll see how I go trying to memorise my change essay for my english trial exam!

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
dont memorise your essay, it fully doesn't work. you just end up sitting in the exam pissing our pants over whether or not you wrote this paragraph or that paragraph or whatever, and it just looks crap. i dont really 'study' that much for english, the only things i memorise are quotes. i just read tons of critical annalyses (whatever) and essays and things like that and get heaps of different points of view. i make a few notes on certain aspects (below) beforehand, and when i write the essay it just sort of flows from my mind.

im doing

harwood - what does it represent about change? what are the techniques used to convey these things? quotes. know really well about 3 or 4 poems

emma/clueless - what is the context (time and place) of Emma? what is the context of Clueless? how (i.e techniques) has heckerling transformed the context of Emma to suit modern contexts? and think about themes of each text.

king lear - how is king lear interpreted (marxist, feminist, jungian)? how has the play been performed (refer to two or three significant productions)? what have critics said about the play (one or two)? what are the significant themes of the play? what are the techniques (including production techniques such as music, production design, direction).

frontline - what does it tell us about 'telling the truth'? who/what is being satirised? how (i.e techniques)?

thats what ive sort of been trying to learn anyway. anyway, they're just basic pointers, good luck and don't stress, english is like the bitchiest subject ever so just learn what you can.

Nelly

Lemme make it clear that memorising essays isn't for everyone, it's just a 'style' of studying, it might or might not work, so i'm assuring anyone 20/20 if they memorise their essay.

its just an idea

ben

Originally posted by johnson

harwood - what does it represent about change? what are the techniques used to convey these things? quotes. know really well about 3 or 4 poems

Learn 3 to 4 Harwood poems really well??!
I used two in my essay last time and the teacher wrote on my essay to only use one and write more on it rather than two. So I'm just learning 'At Mornington' really well for trials. For the HSC I'll probably learn 'In the Park' really well too, maybe another one
(NOT professor eisenbart though).

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
crap, didn't mean to scare u, that's just what i;ve been told. personally, i can't be fecked either so im just doing two poems - in the park and the glass jar. for exams, the teachers have told us to write equally on two poems, no more no less.

ben

Originally posted by johnson
crap, didn't mean to scare u, that's just what i;ve been told. personally, i can't be fecked either so im just doing two poems - in the park and the glass jar. for exams, the teachers have told us to write equally on two poems, no more no less.
yeah, well I was surprised when the feedback on my essay was to write only on 'At Mornington' and forget about 'In the Park'

I think my teacher was just sick of reading so many 'In the Park' responses... I actually like at mornington better - i can crap on about how all this "complex imagery" is symbollic of all these things. it's also pretty funny - pumpkins rising from the ground..

|_wise_|

so refreshing...

ahhh...its so refreshing to see other people who are _struggling_ with english...it's my 'worst' subject as well....with all the other subjects at least you know where you stand...

I must say that our teacher is always using the "memorise the essay and "mould" it" technique...and it seems to work really well...40 minutes isn't very long to think up a response...its much better if you already have it worked out...

oh yeah....i'm doing BNW/BR, King Lear, Harwood, Frontline.

Anton

HSC
I'm not going to give any advice on how you should do the actual HSC and trial examinations, because all of the tips and hints given will be good for different people.
But I will say this: I think the most important part of study for English you can possibly do is to think. By that I mean, do a lot of reading, write a few practice essays, but occasionally just sit there with nothing in hand and actually THINK about everything in your topic, what you think you should focus on (the syllabus will give you a few clues there), and so on.
In subjects that are essay-based (Ancient History, History Ext, English 2U, 3U & 4U), really thinking about your topic is invaluable. If you don't understand something, read a couple of paragraphs on it, and then just think about it. Yeah, it sounds vaguely retarded to just sit there in a chair and think, but it always helps me to just clear my head, focus on what I'm trying to do. I basically don't study as such...for most assessments in English this year (I do 4U) I read a lot of sources relating to the text(s) and then just think about what I've learnt from these sources so I have a general understanding of the text. And so far it's been working a treat; I'm averaging 12-13/15, which isn't too bad when the grade average seems to be somewhat lower.

That was a lot of writing for only a bit of relevance!

Anton

sif not 99

ben, you need to discuss at least 2 harwood poems, thats what teachers at my school and the excel to harwood are saying, because if you dont use enough texts you will really get slammed when it comes to marking at the hsc.

irmakd

Loook guys

My advice to you all is Just write a very GENERIC essay which covers everything include mani idea themes ,purpose, audience, Language feateure and memorise it and youll never do wrong!!!

Trsust me it works!!!

Now...since you know everything you can tacle everything. Liek seriously what more can they ask??? KNow ur text types well and just mould you essay according to the question

Goodluck!:D

ben

Originally posted by sif not 99
ben, you need to discuss at least 2 harwood poems, thats what teachers at my school and the excel to harwood are saying, because if you dont use enough texts you will really get slammed when it comes to marking at the hsc.
hmm.. i guess, ok ;-)

antons got the right idea. in a way, its like maths, why memorize something when understanding it has the same effect. AFTER you understand it, then go write a practice essay.

well, thats what you have to do, now i just gotta be bothered doing it...

liz

HSC
How many pages should an essay on change be around about?

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Ideally, in order to have an adequate discussion of your texts and supplementary material, about five A4 pages (if you're concise). In my opinion.

Morgues

Its a 40 minute essay, I think you have to be a pretty fast writer to write 5 in 40 minutes

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
With practice, and if you learn not to waste time, you should be able to write six.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)