Studying for Business Studies (2 Viewers)

C~liciouz

HSC
Heya,
I'm Cathleen.

and i've pretty much accepted the fact i'm going to fail business studies.
my teacher is shit.
my class is shit.
and i just don't wanna do it.

but.
i'm pretty good at it;

for example, without studying for my yearlies i got like 70%

wondering if there's some form of making it easier, and at least getting me somewhere instead of just failing willingly?

cheeers

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
Re: death.

Meh if yo ucan get 70% without studing, you should actually try and maybe get 90%, etc. No point doing the subject if your not going to try your best.

xxJTxx

HSC
Business is an EASY subject that is a pain in the ass to study for :)
Torward the end when I was doing my notes for global, I was like OMGGGG how obvious is this stuff. A lot of the course is easy theory..it's not like it's hard concepts to grasp.
I found trying to apply the theory to REAL LIFE situations was useful. Try focusing on developing your case study throughout the year so that your working on the theory of the course as well as applying it to real life businesses. I dunno what it was for me, but I dunno understanding all the business stuff and being able to listen to like the finance part of the news/reading the business section of the paper, was very rewarding for me. As lame as that sounds lol.

emilybradstreet

HSC
Haha! I'm quite glad i dropped bus stud it was very hard!!

Good luck everybody :)

williamc

HSC
xxJTxx said:
Business is an EASY subject that is a pain in the ass to study for :)
Torward the end when I was doing my notes for global, I was like OMGGGG how obvious is this stuff. A lot of the course is easy theory..it's not like it's hard concepts to grasp.
I found trying to apply the theory to REAL LIFE situations was useful. Try focusing on developing your case study throughout the year so that your working on the theory of the course as well as applying it to real life businesses. I dunno what it was for me, but I dunno understanding all the business stuff and being able to listen to like the finance part of the news/reading the business section of the paper, was very rewarding for me. As lame as that sounds lol.
I disagree with nearly everything you said.

Business Studies isn't "easy," it requires a fair amount of work. It is alot about remembering headings, it doesn't link or apply to the real world. The concepts are very basic though.

Wing the case study. I was told by my teacher to use a fake case study. It isn't like the markers are going to know.

If you want to understand the financial review a little easier you should have done economics not busines studies.

Business Studies requires alot of work to get the top marks, but very little to get average marks.

JJV

HSC
I agree that Busines Studies is not an easy subject however nothing can stop u from doing good at it. To be honest I'd been in ur situation and it went on for 2 yrs , from yr 11 upto yr 12. However Business Studies is all about memorizing and understanding the business culture. It requires u to apply ur own logical knowledge in wat u should do if ur in position as a business person. You need to study from the book (U MUST MEMORIZE THE IMPORTANT ONES), practise all the questions, do the hw and assessment tasks earlier. If u got stuck then u can ask that teacher, usually even the teacher is shit it doesnt mean she or he is that shit. Well however if the teacher is as shit as u think then try to ask other teachers who teach the subjects related to b.studies (e.g. business services, legal studies teacher,etc) or u can ask for supervision from outside the school. Thats all wat I did when i got into ur situation, try to study by urself eventhough its harder than studying with good teachers. Dont forget to ask ur techer as well for a variety of case study which u can choose from . Anyway U must STUDY to do well on it and if u dont wanna fail it. Business Studies is not the subject that if u dont study u can do well on it eventhough u said when u didnt study u still could do alrite on it. It doesnt happen most of the time trust me. Im not trying to be smart arse but I did wat I said above and the result is I came first and I did well on it. K hope it helps =]

bluto blaart

HSC
C,

you can do good if you try - 70% without trying is ok.

1. Make sure you have a text book, even a study guide so you know what you have to know.
2. Make sure all your notes are up to date - try summarising using the syllabus dot points. The syllabus is available at the boardofstudies web site.
3. Practise, Practise, Practise. Look on this site and the boardofstudies web site for past papers. The BOS also has marking guidelines and comments on what the good and weak students did.
4. Think, reflect, identify weaknesses and work to fix them.
5. Sorry no short cuts to success

:)

Bluto

Sh4DoW

Finance Jock
HSC
If you want/have to stick it out, another tip would be to use teachers other than just yours. If you can't work well with your teacher, find one that you can. Hand them your work, get their opinion. I've done this (for maths) and it worked, I learnt a lot better and it sorta got me into the swing of things.

But Business Studies isn't as easy as everyone makes out. Sure, it's easy to get decent marks (70's) but it's a lot harder to get the high-range marks (high 80's and 90's) without putting a decent amount of effort towards it.

renzieroo

HSC
Well there goes one lot of Business Studies students and here we are, the class of 08 stepping up to finally complete our schooling years.

Lol so what are we talking about here again? Oh right, Business Studies. I don't think it's a hard subject but it pretty demanding in that there is a lot of content to learn. There's also a lot of common sense in business practises as well.

Foxodi

HSC
Business Studies is easy. All concepts are common sense - just make summaries of the textbook (or dot points) to help remember, and you should do fine.
Though I agree, I dont think its that useful for real life applications; because you already know the basics the course goes through, and what the course teach's which you might not already know, is usually not useful :D -stares at finance-

bassistx

HSC
Business Studies is not neccessarily hard, but you have to put a lot of effort in. Especially for financial planning and management. Even if they say that each topic will be assessed equally in the HSC, this is definitely not true. Financial planning & management has to be incorporated into almost every question, particularly your extended response and such. You have to talk about finance. Even if the question doesn't ask you to. They always tell me to write more about finance.

Last year for the midies, without study, I got 75%. For the yearlies, I didn't study and really fell behind. I think I got 60%.
But if you think about it this way, we know at least 1/2 - 3/4 of the stuff already. The rest is just practice and trying to answer the questions :)

Don't stress about it. Seriously, I freaked out about B.S. for the entirety (is that even a word?) of last year and if I'd just done the work, I would've aced it.
I came 37/67 or 30/67, I can't remember lol.

HSC
Man it's all about the syllabus. I did nothing in year 11 and was near the top but I failed our first year 12 assessment because I didn't even look at the syllabus and now they're marking by it. Won't let it happen again. >_>

renzieroo

HSC
yeh i agree, the syllabus should be your bible. dont bother learning extra crap - what's on the syllabus is what they want to see. I came first in year 11 and i did just that - learnt enough to ace the exams and attempted to impress the teacher for orals or assignments. :):) dont kill yourselves guys! Stress Less! It's only the HSC :p haha

JesS1ca

HSC
Business Studies is easy if u review your notes regulary. During class pay as much attention as you can and when u get home review your notes.
Set you notes up for each topic in a way u can best understand and remeber them. u'll diffently achieve pleasing results..It works for many people so give it ago. HSC is gona fly STRESS lesss :)

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Throughout the year just maintain your notes. Ensure that you are up to date with summarising stuff from the textbook etc. At this point, don't bother memorising the stuff.

When it gets to crunch time before the HSC (a couple months before that is), you need to start memorising (sadly that's what HSC Business Studies requires). The syllabus is the first thing you need to memorise. If you look at the mutliple choice and short answer questions from past HSC's, each question is directly linked to a syllabus heading and if you know what is under that heading, then you know exactly what to talk about or lock in as your answer.

The problem that many students face in the short answers is not knowing what to talk about. The concepts in Business Studies are very, very easy. As long as you know WHAT it is that you need to talk about, almost any student is capable of stringing together a few sentences that will get you over the line.

For extended responses, memorising the syllabus is going to do you wonders - it becomes your essay/report planner. The question will directly relate to 3 or 4 parts of the syllabus and if you are smart, you will jot down every heading that is under these parts on a blank piece of paper. This ensures that you don't miss anything (which is exactly what the HSC markers want to see). Then, this is where your notes (that you have been compiling throughout the year) come into play. You should have the knowledge to be able to spin shit basically on any part of the syllabus - your notes will ensure that you are able to do this if you keep reading / writing / understanding them.

If worse comes to worse, and you haven't prepared your notes by HSC time, then this is the perfect resource:

http://www.jaconline.com.au/businessstudies/book2.htm

I used these notes together with my own notes (which were basically copying out the textbook in a summarised format) as well as listening in class to achieve my HSC mark of 94. To be honest, I did about half an hour of updating notes etc per day for business studies. I didn't bother doing any questions from the textbook etc. The two months before the HSC was spent memorising the syllabus and practicing past HSC paper questions.

To the OP: If your getting 70s without studying, you have nothing to worry about. It is very easy to snap out a Band 5 to 6 in Business Studies. A little bit of work will get you there. Good luck.

bassistx

HSC
markzada said:
Throughout the year just maintain your notes. Ensure that you are up to date with summarising stuff from the textbook etc. At this point, don't bother memorising the stuff.

When it gets to crunch time before the HSC (a couple months before that is), you need to start memorising (sadly that's what HSC Business Studies requires). The syllabus is the first thing you need to memorise. If you look at the mutliple choice and short answer questions from past HSC's, each question is directly linked to a syllabus heading and if you know what is under that heading, then you know exactly what to talk about or lock in as your answer.

The problem that many students face in the short answers is not knowing what to talk about. The concepts in Business Studies are very, very easy. As long as you know WHAT it is that you need to talk about, almost any student is capable of stringing together a few sentences that will get you over the line.

For extended responses, memorising the syllabus is going to do you wonders - it becomes your essay/report planner. The question will directly relate to 3 or 4 parts of the syllabus and if you are smart, you will jot down every heading that is under these parts on a blank piece of paper. This ensures that you don't miss anything (which is exactly what the HSC markers want to see). Then, this is where your notes (that you have been compiling throughout the year) come into play. You should have the knowledge to be able to spin shit basically on any part of the syllabus - your notes will ensure that you are able to do this if you keep reading / writing / understanding them.

If worse comes to worse, and you haven't prepared your notes by HSC time, then this is the perfect resource:

http://www.jaconline.com.au/businessstudies/book2.htm

I used these notes together with my own notes (which were basically copying out the textbook in a summarised format) as well as listening in class to achieve my HSC mark of 94. To be honest, I did about half an hour of updating notes etc per day for business studies. I didn't bother doing any questions from the textbook etc. The two months before the HSC was spent memorising the syllabus and practicing past HSC paper questions.

To the OP: If your getting 70s without studying, you have nothing to worry about. It is very easy to snap out a Band 5 to 6 in Business Studies. A little bit of work will get you there. Good luck.
Fab advice! I can't access that link, it's blocked... What's the book called?

Steth0scope

HSC
N/A
Yeah it's just chapter summaries. They are very good chapter summaries though. They do miss out a few minor things but they cover the most important things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)