Studying for English (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Preparing for English exam is one of the most difficult & frustrated chore that I have to go through every term.

I know exactly what & how to study for subjects like Mathematics, Biology and Chemistry but I don't exactly know how to study for English apart from writing practice essays and reading.

When it comes to studying for English, what specific study method do you employ? Or how do you improve your English?

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
Uhh, studying English usually means memorising an essay for me. The bit that actually counts is how well it's written though, so by improving that, you can improve your English marks.

The single most important tip that I learnt for writing an essay is to have a thesis. In the junior years, all my essays basically consisted of putting down everything the teacher said in conjunction with some fancy words and the necessary structure (topic sentences and so forth). I got a pretty big shock in senior years when this didn't work, having a thesis and focusing on that helped big time. It actually gives an essay direction and purpose, rather than plainly regurgitating whatever the teacher said. :p

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better:
  • Know your text/s extensively (composers' contexts, historical contexts, quotes etc.)
  • Read extensively (especially critical theory)
  • Simulated essay practise exams where you write up essays/think of questions which relate to your Area of Study/ Module
  • Practise writting in as many text types as you can

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Continuum said:
Uhh, studying English usually means memorising an essay for me. The bit that actually counts is how well it's written though, so by improving that, you can improve your English marks.

The single most important tip that I learnt for writing an essay is to have a thesis. In the junior years, all my essays basically consisted of putting down everything the teacher said in conjunction with some fancy words and the necessary structure (topic sentences and so forth). I got a pretty big shock in senior years when this didn't work, having a thesis and focusing on that helped big time. It actually gives an essay direction and purpose, rather than plainly regurgitating whatever the teacher said. :p
Thesis as in the topic sentence for your each paragraph?

Thanks for the great insights. I shall take that into account.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
Sorry I couldn't come up with anything better:
  • Know your text/s extensively (composers' contexts, historical contexts, quotes etc.)
  • Simulated essay practise exams where you write up essays/think of questions which relate to your Area of Study/ Module
That's enough mate. That's all I needed and I cannot never be impressed more with your great insights. Thanks & hope to get some more tips from you soon. Thanks! (again)

EDIT: I better go to your guides and print them up. I forgot about them!

Continuum

I'm squishy
HSC
lyounamu said:

Thanks for the great insights. I shall take that into account.
Nope, thesis is the whole purpose of your essay. It's a statement that you're trying to prove with both evidence (quotes) and your subsequent explanation of what that evidence shows. Aplus wrote a nifty guide to essay writing, so yeah, he probably explains it better. :)

On the other hand, topic sentences are just a signpost for your reader, telling them what you're going to discuss in this paragraph.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
A good essay must always have a cohesive and justifiable argument which relates back to the question. Create a thesis statement. The thesis statement will be your overall argument in the essay. The best way to think of a thesis statement is basically one or two sentences which briefly, but satisfactorily answer the essay question. Once you have your thesis statement, you must back it up using the support of your text. That is, finding evidence/techniques/quotes from the given text which support your argument. References and quotes relating to the text are really crucial as without displaying how the text relates to the topic, you can not satisfactorily answer the question.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
A good essay must always have a cohesive and justifiable argument which relates back to the question. Create a thesis statement. The thesis statement will be your overall argument in the essay. The best way to think of a thesis statement is basically one or two sentences which briefly, but satisfactorily answer the essay question. Once you have your thesis statement, you must back it up using the support of your text. That is, finding evidence/techniques/quotes from the given text which support your argument. References and quotes relating to the text are really crucial as without displaying how the text relates to the topic, you can not satisfactorily answer the question.
Thanks for that. By the way, would you include your thesis once in every paragraph? (indirectly of course)

gouge.away

MonCœurS'ouvre à taVoix
HSC
N/A
innovative expression can get you some extra marks and can augment the value of good theses/evidence - armed with a good vocab, you can find that you can encapsulate an entire phrase in one word and everything just flows well.

this is where some creative writing skills help.

what i sometimes do is get some western canonical text [i'm studying tess of the d'urbervilles by thomas hardy in adv. eng anyway], find some words that i don't know and make short, abstruse stories [sometimes only a couple of sentences in length] with them.

the-derivative

BCom/LLB (UNSW)
HSC
The way I study for English is through trying to thoroughly understand my text (values, themes) as well as remembering quotes. I just try and cram quotes into my head if I know I need them for an extended response.

Aplus

HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
Thanks for that. By the way, would you include your thesis once in every paragraph? (indirectly of course)
Well every paragraph should be aiming towards proving your thesis.

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
Get your hands on as many past papers as you can. This is probably more applicable in the HSC context, but if you have any older year friends (or know past students from your school) then you can ask them for it.

Most teachers are concerned foremost, that you answer the question given (whether you have a generic essay or not).

Also your thesis should be intertwined directly with the question given.

gouge.away's advice would also be very applicable.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
Aplus said:
+1. Although, usually, the teacher should tell you what text type your exam will be, so I usually find myself practicing for one text type only. Usually an essay at SBHS, although, we get the occasional creative.

Aplus said:
Well every paragraph should be aiming towards proving your thesis.
Yeah. Might I add that that doesn't mean repeating the thesis word for word, since some people might take it literally *cough* Foram *cough*.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Aerath said:
[/list]+1. Although, usually, the teacher should tell you what text type your exam will be, so I usually find myself practicing for one text type only. Usually an essay at SBHS, although, we get the occasional creative.

Yeah. Might I add that that doesn't mean repeating the thesis word for word, since some people might take it literally *cough* Foram *cough*.
I remember that. I shall do it as indirectly as possible. (but to the point, I mean) :)

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
lyounamu said:
I remember that. I shall do it as indirectly as possible. (but to the point, I mean) :)
Well, at the very least, change the words (and use synonyms). However, you can link it via other means as well. Like, for example, my thesis was "The American Dream can corrupt any participants". On some of my paragraphs, I ended: "The failure associated with the typically unattainable American Dream can cause disappointment amongst those who choose to live their lives by it."

sonyaleeisapixi

inkfacewhorebitchpixie.
HSC
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
for example, in crime fiction, i have the areas of
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre
it quite often helps if you ask you teacher for assistence to begin with.

mind maps. take each module, and condense it into a mind map.
you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

read texts alloud to yourself.

post-it-note key quotes to the toilet door or your bedroom walls.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
Look at the syllabus for each module, and condense the main 'ideas' down into <6 (if possible) "themes". these themes should be the core ideas of the syllabus and thus the core ideas of any possible exam question.
for these, write 5 different thesises, or 'lines of argument' each. that way, you have prepared thesises for what ever areas of the syllabus your exam questions come from.
context
human nature
enduring popularity
etc etc. from those ill develope lines of arguement of thesises about each area. ie, the eduring popularity of crime fiction is reliant upon its ability to manipulate and subvert the genre

you can do it thematically (the best way in my opinion), by techniques for something like frontline, or text by text.

organise a study group with your friends. test yourself on quoting texts and then giving examples of techniques and their effects. this works the best with shakespeare ive found.

colour code your notes. say, yellow for quotes, blue of technique and pink for effect. makes stuff easier to find, and i often remember things in terms of colour codes.
Extremely detailed. I deeply appreciate your word of advice!!!

Aplus

HSC
N/A
sonyaleeisapixi said:
context
human nature
enduring popularity

Thanks for those excellent tips :)

kassie123

HSC
The difference between Maths and English is simple I guess.
A Maths question only has one answer. An English question has a number of answers. Many people forget this prime point.

The thing is, some people practise and practise essays, but the problem is you may be practising them with wrong methods in place, such as your style, your structure, tone, flow from each paragraph, ability to introduce as well as conclude, not always agreeing with the question, inspiring the marker. I mean, you want to keep rehearsing good methods. Some ways I've developed this for myself are:

- Mindmaps, like someone said above --- they help you really grasp the core of a concept, makes you question and construst your own answer to the question/theme/topic etc, helps you to see the links between concepts, different texts or whatever you are exploring more thoroughly.

- Having a system that works for you --- I do a lot of independent research and it pays off. I have four highlighter colours when summarising, BLUE is the most crucial point being made, GREEN relates to themes and concepts, ORANGE highlights good phrases that compliments my writing style and that I may use and RED is just for general summarising, whatever I think is worth noting.

- Learning to show other people my work for criticism. Teachers who give me just ticks on a page is not good enough. I usually hand them the paper back and tell them that I want at least three things I want critised on my work. Improves your writing.

- Learn from the best. Re-read top band past student's responses, go on-line and read from famous historians, speeches of historical value --- basically responses that people have been inspired by or say, "wow..I never thought of it in that way before".

- Use your teachers. ALWAYS GET FEEDBACK FOR EVERYTHING YOU DO.

- Write creative responses when you feel you have some free-time. It not only strengthens your vocabulary, but improves how you articulate and tackle ideas and most important, how to get thoughts into words.

- Learn to master vocabulary. Don't put in a fancy word like structuralism, because it is expected...it is not expected because remember English has indefinite answers. Your answer does not have to have such words as long as it ANSWERS THE QUESTION! Note too, don't put theorists in your essay unless them reinforce what you are trying to say. Don't shove them in there cause you think you'll get another mark. BE SELECTIVE! So, use words that really paint a picture --- this is really achieved by the choice of verbs. Instead of saying like, "meaning is shaped by one's experience and upbringing", you might want to say, "The human being constructs his own society, one where meaning is moulded by his or her experiences".

- Play around with sentences, and in your conclusion never say "In conclusion, or I conclude that, or to summarise etc".

- Don't be afraid to change your style.

- Predict exam questions - they might only say it will be in the form of writing a letter --- well that already gives you big hints so take advantage of them. It may be on your Area Of Study, asking you to write a letter to the Board of Studies about changing the current syllabus etc.

- Do all your homework :)

- Get notes from all your other english classes in your year. Different teacher's opinions can help you understand what the assessment task may ask you to do, predict the question or simply supplement your own notes and opinion.

- Read a lot. Lots of sources are always a good idea.

- Memorise essays. I usually can predict questions (sometimes I'm just lucky), so there's no need to re-arrange or reshape what i've learned into the actual question being asked. However, in saying that do not memorise without adapting it to the question if you are wrong in prediction. ANSWER THE QUESTION --- most important point!

- Enjoy English.

Hope that wasn't too boring to read! :bomb:

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)