Studying for maths? (1 Viewer)

elfanger

Hi,
I am now in year 12 3 unit maths. The whole year 11 course i was alright with, i got homework i did it, i did past papers before all our tests and i got good results. But ever since term 4 began and we started doing the year 12 topics i have been getting worse and worse. I write all the theory we get in class, i understand it and memorize all the formula but then when i start doing the questions from the cambridge book i find them very difficult and can only get around 60% right. (This is from the development section.) I can do the basics alright but not the development. My first maths assesment for end of term 4 3 unit was a bit under average. (My 2 unit was alot over average.)

Can some1 please give me some advice, what should i do to get my 3U marks back up?

Thanks.

^___^
HSC
ahhhh

i understand where ur coming from..

do u have worked solutions to various type of questions???

also, as soon as u can't do a question, ask the teacher for help

abdooooo!!!

Banned
the only thing i can think of is don't use cambridge.

see the assessments your teacher gives try to regnise where it came from, ie past papers, pheonix or whatever. then practise those type of questions with worked solutions to learn from you're mistakes. unless you're just making calculation mistakes... :p

speersy

HSC
N/A
i found the opposite i got a better result in my first extension 1 test than i did in the whole prelim course.
Maybe you have not realised that yr12 is more difficult than yr11

Question: did everybody else go crap?

elfanger

Average for my class was 50% i got 49%

I realise that mathsi s much harder now, but what do i do about it?

abdooooo!!!

Banned
it doesn't get harder... unless you're doing 4u.

like i said in the above post... its proly because you are not familiar with the new type of questions that your teacher has given you as assessments. just look through other books and past papers you're see where it came from... then just practice them.

well from what i understand is that if you doing a problem wrong is because either: don't understand the theory, unfamiliar with the problem, or lack of practice thus making silly mistakes or extremely slow.

you must first identify the problem...

elfanger

I mean the average for the test out of 16 of us was 26/52 marks i.e. 50% overall average.

KeypadSDM

B4nn3d
HSC
Originally posted by victorling
50%?
u mean 50/100?
that should be concerned
The test may have been hard. You can only judge a person based on the relative ability of his/her shoolmates. If he's getting just below average at Ruse, he's not a moron. Conversely, if he's getting just below average at [Insert crap school here], then he's a little worse off.

victorling

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by KeypadSDM
The test may have been hard. You can only judge a person based on the relative ability of his/her shoolmates. If he's getting just below average at Ruse, he's not a moron. Conversely, if he's getting just below average at [Insert crap school here], then he's a little worse off.
i was just shocked by the class average
if the test was that hard, well, don't worry, it may be scaled up eventually:)

t-i-m-m-y

HSC
i think u need a new calculator is not fast enough

man try 69! (factorial on ur calc) and benchmark it against ur friends one; we did that in class with like 5 calculators and the teacher gave us funny looks lol

okay i'll stop now

perfectionist

I M SpEcIaL....SpEcIaL...
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by elfanger
Hi,
I am now in year 12 3 unit maths. The whole year 11 course i was alright with, i got homework i did it, i did past papers before all our tests and i got good results. But ever since term 4 began and we started doing the year 12 topics i have been getting worse and worse. I write all the theory we get in class, i understand it and memorize all the formula but then when i start doing the questions from the cambridge book i find them very difficult and can only get around 60% right. (This is from the development section.) I can do the basics alright but not the development. My first maths assesment for end of term 4 3 unit was a bit under average. (My 2 unit was alot over average.)

Can some1 please give me some advice, what should i do to get my 3U marks back up?

Thanks.
That's exactly like me....in year 11...i had a good rank and a good mark and in year 12, my ranking and marks dropped. But still i kept doing my home work...and this was the same in 2 unit maths...my ranking dropped...but still i kept working. For 3 unit i just kept trying...and before the HSC my goal was to just do the Questions which i think i can get out or even if i cud get part marks on. So yeah...in the end i ended up with 44/50. So my advice is DO NOT give up!!!

Even if u can't do each and every Question still u can end up with a reasonable mark if u concentrate on the stuff u are good at...Well that's what I did.

Good Luck :)

Last edited:

Grey Council

Legend
HSC
hokay, thats easily solved.

Do the cambridge questions, but do much more past papers. why? Cause some textbooks ask you questions that will NOT appear in just about any exam. This happens with cambridge, the later part of development and most of the extension questions are good to do, but if you can't do them do not be worried. Or thats what I think anyway.

What you should be doing is past maths papers. they help much more. Do them in timed conditions, esp just before your exams. imho if you do some fairly challenging past papers (eg james ruse, sbhs, maybe even your own schools, moriah isn't bad after all) you can quite easily improve your mahts.

Most importantly : be consistent in your maths habits. If you find that the maths is too hard, get a tutor. According to Geff Geha (that author who writes for excel ) over 75% of diligent students seek a tutor in year 12.

hehe, apart from that, do NOT get addicted to these forums...you'll regret it. This forums takes up SO much time, and cause its "studying" your unconscious won't be the least bit ashamed. ^_^

elizabethy

I'm the best !!
HSC
maths is practise.....keep practising n u will reach ur goal!!

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
yeah it happened to me as well. i don't know what happened with maths, but i slowly dropped in ranks, after doing very well in my junior years. all i can recommend is lots of practice. cambridge is hard, so don't get yourself too down on those. and in the end if you keep working, and do what you can, you should get pretty good marks anyway.

lil_star

Longing for IT!
HSC
Cambridge aint all that hard...if u work slowly from basic to development to extension exercises...it gives u skills as u go and even when u dont have access to a teacher...this book explains v well! like from cambridge do try Q's but dont curse urself if u dont get em ALL right as ''the Q's are hard'' as iambored said!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)