Studying for Maths (1 Viewer)

bhancock

HSC
mack said:
Yep, the beauty of maths is that copious repepition will always work, unlike English!
the only problem with maths, half of the topics people will not need in later life, which is why i find it hard for myself to stay concentrated and actually study to the best of my ability

jessikayo

HSC
hey. my teacher has told me about most of these study techniques too.
They really do work. the best way to study is by doing practice exams.

im doing mathematics accelerated. is anyone else doing this?
They told us the success rate was higher if you do all yr 11 and yr 12 mathematics in one year and start the extension work in year 12, so you only have one math exam each year to prepare for.

im not sure if its true though.

Darrow

Executant of Life
HSC
I dont think that would work,
because a lot of the 3u work ties in directly to the 2u work
so you would have to relearn the 2u work the year after to do the 3u work

cherry1991

HSC
Question

ok i culdnt get to the right thread but
1/3k(2k-1)(2k+1)+(2k+1)^2 equal
1/3(k+1)(2k+1)(2k+3)

starlight190

HSC
withoutaface said:
1. Pay attention in class. As it is being explained try to understand it. If you don't understand it ask questions, that's what your teacher is there for.

2. Read through the material again when you get home, then do questions from the textbook. If you can't do a question bring it in to class the next day, and get the teacher to explain it to you, or post it on BOS. You only need one textbook, because these questions are just to help you understand the material, not to provide practice.

3. The most important step: do past papers. I cannot stress this enough. Do every past paper you can get your hands on. There are so many people who are extremely capable mathematicians who fall down on exam technique, and/or silly errors. Myself I did 60ish past papers for each 3u and 4u, and boosted my ranking from 15th to 2nd in a class of 17.

While most of this should be stating the obvious, hopefully it will avoid future threads asking how to study.
I definately agree. It definately helps! :idea:

I'd also like to reconmended to highlight or somehow indicate where you people go wrong and study up on that! :hammer:

simmyxo

HSC
hey guys, my study notes consist of each formula i've learned over both prelim & HSC years, separated by topic (eg geometry, trig, etc) and written colourfully with subheadings and names decribing them. from this i've memorised so many more formulas... can also be used in other formula study, such as physics. =]

Dan2008

HSC
Get you hands on the HSC past paper book!!! It is the best $25 bucks you'll ever spend!

Do the questions firstly by topic as you go through the course, then do the papers again, concentrating on problem areas!

EdgarTruong

HSC
N/A
So is there a textbook that explains stuff better than other ones ?

My friends recommended coroneos or cambridge, they seem to be pop. textbooks
i have fitzpatrick from school but some of the answers for questions are wrong
so im unsure whether im getting the questions right or not

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)