• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Studying from a revision guide enough? (1 Viewer)

Monstar

HSC
i've written down notes from the book (the sykes one). However i find it heaps hard to summarise from that book.

Recently i've purchased the macquarie revision guide, its easy to read and the key terms are highlighted. Do you think studying just from this will do me well?

robo-andie

HSC
Aslong as it covers all the topics thorougly and you can understand the concepts clearly from it. I would say it will do you well.

The key thing about study guides is you understanding them. Read through it, ask yourself some questions (business studies related) and see if you can find the answer in the book.

Look up some key business studies terms which you already know and understand, and see if the book replicates this information. Chances are it will, but you'll see the difference in how it explains a concept and how your teacher or another guide has.

ediisjoz

HSC
The Macquarie guide is great, however i suggest you study from both. My Business Studies teacher wrote the Preliminary guide-book which we used as a text book for year 11, and he (Mr White) said to us that we SHOULD go back and look at bits & pieces of year 11 work to cross reference for topics especially Year 12 Marketing.

I have another text book this year which i will cross-reference with notes in the Macquarie Study Guide, as well as notes in class (though notes are rarely given out in class).

I think it's the best to cross reference, to check that you understand, etc.

But whatever floats your boat..

good luck :)

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Macquarie is an exact summary of what is said in the sykes textbook.

Monstar

HSC
hopeles5ly said:
Macquarie is an exact summary of what is said in the sykes textbook.
lol. im guessing thats a good thing? cause all the teacher does in class is tell us to summarise the book.

I'm just wondering, what exactly do we need tp learn about the new IR changes?

shinji

Is in A State Of Trance
HSC
Macq. isn't enough. I foudn that whilst summarising, the macq. excels in some parts, but lacks depth in other areas. Thus, u should be reading out of different sources to ensure that you have sufficient knowledge on what your being tested on.

and summarised books are only good if you know the content well

orange_blob

Caveman
HSC
The good thing behind writing your own summaries, I find, is that you can leave out the stuff that is obvious to you, so it makes it easier to revise the not so obvious stuff. Other peoples summaries can be good, but they might be filled with stuff that is really obvious to you and then not go into very much depth in areas you're not as confident in.

So I don't think that using a study guide alone is enough, as you didn't write it - which also means you are less likely to remember the stuff, since it's not in your words.

In my opinion they should only be used for last minute cramming or as just part of your revision. And B is more than just reciting content, just like maths you need to know how to do stuff with it.

Lobsey

HSC
N/A
I would only use a revision guide for revision or for a section you have trouble understanding. The Sykes book can be difficult, I suggest you go to the library and borrow the Heinneman book.

till02

HSC
Good to use a combination of the text book and revision guides.

What case studies are people looking to use for business studies in the last section?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)