Studying? How much is enough? (1 Viewer)

zenzone

HSC
Thanks for all your input people! Really helped me figure out all the concerns I was having

Eg155

HSC
Was told 5-6 hrs a day. Someone said 3hrs then the teacher was like "not for 99..."

MiPh

HSC
I will let you know on the 20th of December. If I get my goal of 95/96 that is.

Amogh

HSC
N/A
alright the ruse method is 4hrs everyday for 99+ atar.
Not necessarily mate!

It's seriously not about forcing yourself to study excessive amount of hours everyday. Heck, there were so many days I personally did nothing!

It's more about ensuring that you understand the content through the year. Be able to appreciate what you're studying and in a weird way, enjoy it.

SO I would say, study for however long you need to in order to feel confident with the subject. I would feel that 1-4 hours a day is fine.

wogboy23

HSC
Hi, 99.3 ATAR here for the 2011 HSC.
In my opinion, I completely frown upon general discussions that debate the tediousness of 'How much study should I be doing per day?' or 'Am I doing enough study to get said mark?'. In reality, the general 'study' times are bogus. Find what works for you - if you feel the need to study 6 hours a day, so be it. If you find you are sufficiently coping with the current workload with 1-3 hrs per day, so be it. Invariably, it is different for all. The effectiveness of study techniques on the other hand is of considerable significance. Some find exercising before sitting down for some study effective. Some enjoy ambient music in the background; others complete and utter silence.

Personally, only on RARE occasion did I ever put in these 5-6 hour days that people typically argue on and on about. It doesn't matter if you're at the bottom or top of your game, it is consistency that is key to success. Consistent revision and rehashing of notes is paramount - at least for most, including myself. This is what I found useful throughout my HSC rollercoster and the few days before the exams. Not trying to sound obnoxious or anything, but I can say that the day before Legal Studies, I had Modern History, so I was very tired. Instead of studying that night and the following early hours of the morning, I was just watching movies. And as it turned out, for Legal Studies (my final exam), turned out to be my most successful subject.

So, I hope this disproves much debate over 'how much' study; more so, 'what works'.

habitres

HSC
Just understand the content in class, bludge off any homework you don't need to do, and cram for exams. easy peasy

funstudy

HSC
Really depends- I knew people that did well in school exams with two, three, four hrs. You need to know how to balance your study as well so as not to get overtired- no use having 6hrs of ineffective study with procrastination when you could do 3 hrs solid study. Also once you solidify ur knowledge through notes, revising work, homework- start doing past papers and doing small study exercises.

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Really depends- I knew people that did well in school exams with two, three, four hrs. You need to know how to balance your study as well so as not to get overtired- no use having 6hrs of ineffective study with procrastination when you could do 3 hrs solid study. Also once you solidify ur knowledge through notes, revising work, homework- start doing past papers and doing small study exercises.
Small study exercises? What are they? I think I know what they are, but I may be wrong...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)