studying in summer holidays? (1 Viewer)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
If you are taking maths subject brush up on the basics if not already done so. Or you could research and find some academic subject you may enjoy.

HSC
N/A
If you're aware of the text that will be studied in your English classes next year, it might be worth having a read over them during the holidays when you don't have any other formal academic commitments (like readings and assignments). That means that by the time you get up to reading them at school, you'll already have a solid knowledge base, and re-reading will act as revision for you.

Amaranth_

HSC
N/A
Lol, I was in your position last year.
My recommendation is that you enjoy these holidays to the fullest, however, if you want to do anything just to prepare then read your texts for English or go to the resource section and take a look at a few notes for the subjects that you'll be doing.

TheGreatest99.95

Premium Member
HSC
read english texts if known and maybe do some maths. Other than that, rest. the hsc is a marathon not a sprint. My biggest regret is not relaxing more in year 11

ilovekpop

HSC
you can read the text that ur school will be doing ahead to get a start and also get the maths down too !!!!

russ3l

HSC
I'm on the same boat with the other soon to be year 11s: I want to do well, but I don't want to burn out D: especially before year 12

elissajean

HSC
Uni Grad
I would read some (good) books, particularly those about identity and sense of belonging, because you'll be in need of good related texts for English (plus it helps you develop your creative writing ability, which is also an important aspect of year 11 English). Some such books include the hunger Games Trilogy, The Fault in Our Stars (by John Green), Schindlers Ark (the film Schindlers List - also a great related text - was based on this book) and the poetry and letters of Wilfred Owen are fantastic. If you know the English books you are to read, then get a head start on those.

If you are doing maths, I recommend you buy a year 11 maths book (the Accelerated Maths Learning textbook range are excellent) and work on getting ahead for at least half an hour or 45 minutes a day. KhanAcademy has pretty good videos to help with maths (free online) that you might find useful. Also, the Crash Course (Science) and Sci Show YouTube channels can be quite helpful for keeping your mind on science, and they're only short videos.

The holiday period is far too long to be taking a break from studying at this point in your schooling, so make sure you 'keep your mind oiled' as someone once said. Apart from that, rest, have fun, stay healthy and get to school next year refreshed. Have a good holiday :)

HSC
Uni Grad
IMO if you're going to study beforehand, I would suggest study maths by fixing up your foundational skills if they're really rusty. Rusty foundations in mathematics such as careless mistakes, lack of confidence in obtaining the correct answer and lack of preparation are several reasons as to why people bomb out in year 11 mathematics.

As for the rest of the stuff, you can follow the post as above.

Last edited:

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm in the same position as you and I've started studying for Modern History and Legal Studies, just reading textbooks and making simple notes, but only because I only enjoy these subjects and it's more like something I'm doing out of interest than a concentrated effort to study as such. I would recommend against forcing yourself to study when you don't particularly want to at this point. You don't want to start resenting subjects already or burn out before you've even started :)

Verify

HSC
What does "burning out" before Year 12 starts or something mean?

Naz1234

HSC
Anyone want tutoring for this break? I just finished HSC and I can help you guys
prepare for the HSC. I can tutor English (standard), Business studies, Chemistry, Biology,
Mathmatics, Legal studies and PDHPE.

Contact me at mtavan45@gmail.com

mrbananaman

HSC
N/A
Please don't do excessive work. Have the best summer holidays you possibly can :) Year 11 really isn't a big deal, just a great time to form study habits throughout the year!! Have a relaxing break!! :)

bluecrisps

HSC
Don't study during the holidays and relax until a week or so before school to start getting used to work again cos you probably won't ever see the outside (or virtual) world again

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)