• YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

studying with music? (2 Viewers)

Riot09

HSC
good or bad? better or worse? is it possible without it?

i cant stand studying math without music on its just so intolerable,but the other subjects i can because its just reading and writing.

so whats youre spin on this?

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
I can study with music on for almost all my subjects. I listen to rock music, and it keeps me motivated

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
I love listening to music while studying. I put on Eurovision, some FIFA soundtrack songs, Hoedowns (from Whose Line) and anything really. Keeps me entertained.

I encourage it.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
The only thing getting me through this essay I'm writing right now is listening to Radiohead.

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
:D music puts you into the mood of studying coz studying is just sooo boring

Amogh

HSC
N/A
I cant study with music at all. Although i tend to start humming and talking to my self while studying. lol

raniaaa

:)
HSC
music for maths definately, not for anything else :)

ninetypercent

ninety ninety ninety
HSC
looks like for most people, maths and music work well together. can anyone suggest why? :p

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I study with music for EVERYTHING - english, science, maths, history.

It blocks out all the surrounding noise and seems to make me concentrate better :)

saberbladexx

HSC
I listen to music before i start studying it gets me in the mood. Its like a ritual for me lol.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
Slow even tempered music (not fast Rock) is proven to improve higher learning and brain functions...

The classic example is Mozart... but even I as someone studying music tend to find Mozart a little dull at times. So basically any slow music without words is good.

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
Slow even tempered music (not fast Rock) is proven to improve higher learning and brain functions...

The classic example is Mozart... but even I as someone studying music tend to find Mozart a little dull at times. So basically any slow music without words is good.
I listen to rock, sometimes it's slow but there's always words :(

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Hardstyle works effectively with mathematics, can't explain the sentiment. Try it for yourself.

mirakon

nigga
HSC
Buckethead-Soothsayer
Super Metroid Metal-Brinstar
Steve Vai- For the Love of God

In fact any instrumental music (the above three are just my personal options) does help, but only if the music isn't too loud, volume wise. Classsical is good, but I personally prefer hard/rock metal instrumentals.

Make sure the music isn't too catchy though otherwise it may get stuck in your head, and that's disastrous whilst studying.

with-chu

HSC
Buckethead-Soothsayer
Super Metroid Metal-Brinstar
Steve Vai- For the Love of God

In fact any instrumental music (the above three are just my personal options) does help, but only if the music isn't too loud, volume wise. Classsical is good, but I personally prefer hard/rock metal instrumentals.

Make sure the music isn't too catchy though otherwise it may get stuck in your head, and that's disastrous whilst studying.

Agreed right there. That's when it gets to a point you can't stop listening to it cos if you hit pause, you keep hearing it in your head :(

I listen to music when I'm doing maths and reading english texts. I need absolute quiet for sciences though.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
I'm not going to bother digging them out, because I can't be bothered...

But from my understanding... The amount you take in and are able to concentrate with depends on a significan LACK of words, which you will subconsciously process no matter what...

And the speed of the music. Fast music tends to get you excited, which you don't want to be when Studying. You want to be rational and calm and focused.

HSC
It all depends what type of study I'm doing... for maths, I listen to classical music like Yiruma, Michael Nyman and Rondo Veneziano because if I listen to music with lyrics, I tend to get distracted and find myself singing along instead of studying
If I'm just summarising, any type of music works for me, but if I'm memorising notes I can't listen to anything because I can't focus on what I'm reading if there's music playing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)