Stuffed up an assessment :( :( (1 Viewer)

HSC
I know there's plenty of threads similar to mine on here but just humor me...
So I stuffed up my first assessment for English Adv. weighted around 15%
:cry:

Here are my marks as of yet:
English - about 50%
Biology- 66% - the test was hard and this was considered good
Gen. Maths - 93%
Chemistry- 97.5%
Mod. Hist- haven't got it back yet, guessing around 80%

I didn't study for English or Modern. But have been consistently working hard since. Is a 95+ ATAR still possible?
My goal is Medicine - keep in mind this is my life aspiration so be nice :) (But be honest and realistic, just not harsh like some people on BoS tend to be)
And do you think I should start studying for UMAT, or with marks like this focus on HSC and maybe go to Medicine after Med. Science or something.
Any pointers appreciated.

Thanks Everyone :)

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
185% left.

Keep trucking. Maybe you should visit my profile page and click on "About me" and read my quote.

Examine

same
HSC
Well it's the first assessment so you can still recover the marks. As I've seen Carrotsticks say, if you stuff up your first assessment, then it's kinda lesson so that you can try harder next time. And I watched a video, (forgot it but someone on BoS posted it) that if you get 0% in your first asssessment you can still get a 92.5 mark.

So just keep studying and do better in the next test.

enoilgam

HSC
There is still a long way to go, trust me when I say things can and do change dramatically from now until the end of the HSC and the end of the internal assessments. You will find that a lot of people who get 95+ ATAR's stuffed one or two small exams throughout the year.

HSC
We didn't get told ranks, it was one mark below the average so most probably it was ranked terribly.

enoilgam

HSC
With regards to medicine, make sure you assess whether or not you have a realistic shot of making it into the degree. You need to be aiming for at least 98.5 in order to have a decent shot of medicine. Also, make sure you have good back up options in the likely event that you dont make it into the degree. I know that this sounds harsh, but medicine is extremely difficult to get into. I've said this before, but getting into medicine is like trying to make it as an actor or professional soccer player, in that few people make it and many fail.

Coookies

HSC
I think passing English is good(rank wise), so many people failed.
Quite a few got 4s and 5s

HSC
With regards to medicine, make sure you assess whether or not you have a realistic shot of making it into the degree. You need to be aiming for at least 98.5 in order to have a decent shot of medicine. Also, make sure you have good back up options in the likely event that you dont make it into the degree. I know that this sounds harsh, but medicine is extremely difficult to get into. I've said this before, but getting into medicine is like trying to make it as an actor or professional soccer player, in that few people make it and many fail.
Yeah I know, Back Up = Physio.

HSC
how did you know I did 4U English? I can't remember telling you that... But yeah, dropped it cause of her.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
It's not too hard to recover ALOT of ranks. I was coming in the bottom 40 or 30 out of 150 or so after my first English assessment last year - later in the year, I did MUCH better and pulled up to 41/150. Pretty much 100 ranks difference so you can pull it around. After all, even if you got 50%, it doesn't mean you have lost 3 HSC marks or w/e the amount would "equate to". Your internals are essentially determined by your and your cohort's performance in the HSC.

Coookies

HSC
Not gonna quote you since you're going to delete haha.
But yeah she's pretty bad and I thought you only did 3u, didn't know about 4u

HSC
It's not too hard to recover ALOT of ranks. I was coming in the bottom 40 or 30 out of 150 or so after my first English assessment last year - later in the year, I did MUCH better and pulled up to 41/150. Pretty much 100 ranks difference so you can pull it around. After all, even if you got 50%, it doesn't mean you have lost 3 HSC marks or w/e the amount would "equate to". Your internals are essentially determined by your and your cohort's performance in the HSC.
Ah thank you! I've never understood how internal marks work anyways :)

HSC
Not gonna quote you since you're going to delete haha.
But yeah she's pretty bad and I thought you only did 3u, didn't know about 4u
Nah I did 4U - well for about 2 weeks, the only reason I did ext 1 was to do ext 2 so I ended up dropping both of them.

year12-2012

HSC
Good you posted this thread,i fucked up term 1 too, was going to ask the same thing myself. My marks are slightly higher than your's- for Advance English i got 72% , Bio 70%, Chemistry 65% are among my lowest marks..... I fucked up pretty bad, however there is still 185% left as others are saying. I'm working hard in preparation for half yearlies and i am sure you are too...... hopefully i can achieve 85%+ in all subjects :/

Wish you all the best :D

Coookies

HSC
Nah I did 4U - well for about 2 weeks, the only reason I did ext 1 was to do ext 2 so I ended up dropping both of them.
How do you feel about 10 units? I drop ext 1 maths so I only have 10 now.
But I feel like I wasted so much time on ext

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)