Stuffed Up - Still Got A Chance? (1 Viewer)

Dragie

HSC
I'm in the same boat as you - nearly had a breakdown after learning most of my assessments (including half yearlies) were quite average (70-80...and oddly enough one 100% lol). I just need some sort of confidence boost that will motivate me to do better before the trials coz I'm feeling quite 'I give up' at the moment. Hearing some people reassure those of us who are quite stressed is helping heaps, though!

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Dragie said:
I'm in the same boat as you - nearly had a breakdown after learning most of my assessments (including half yearlies) were quite average (70-80...and oddly enough one 100% lol). I just need some sort of confidence boost that will motivate me to do better before the trials coz I'm feeling quite 'I give up' at the moment. Hearing some people reassure those of us who are quite stressed is helping heaps, though!
You just need a holiday ! im so burnt out at the moment and i still have 5 exams :( so don't worry that much, you'll be fine when term 2 starts. =]

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
dunch said:
Jeez, Rnn- A Muk, you may struggle to get in 80's with English like that...
who the fuk sed i was aiming for 80 ill be cheering if i get 75

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
The truth is.. stress makes you work harder... if you weren't stressed... you would probably be to lazy to study or do assignments.... some people just go nuts and pull all their hair out though....
:rofl:

RNN-A-MUK

HSC
ppl onli stress when they want 90z.. im trying to say if u want 80z u shud jus relax n not pull ur hair out

struth

HSC
RNN-A-MUK said:
ppl onli stress when they want 90z.. im trying to say if u want 80z u shud jus relax n not pull ur hair out
That's a joke ... right?

You're not going to get in the 80's by taking the "laid back" approach. You're going to be looking at a VERY average mark, because there are a hell of a lot of people out there 'losing their hair' -- not all of them will get a UAI of 90 plus.

If you don't stress, and you don't give it your best shot, how can you honestly say that you're satisfied with your mark? If you don't give it your best shot, how are you ever going to know your full potential?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
Struth!
You are by far one of the most intelligent people i've been priviliged enough to meet on these boards. I agree with what you have said.

However, some people know that even their best falls short of their goals; and they can use laziness as an exuse for underachieving; eg; "I didn't study for the test".

Peace~

ScottyG

Victory is mine.
HSC
sam04u said:
The marks i put into the calculator was 80 for all the other subjects and 30 (which is 60% for 3u)
Does that same principle apply for ext2 english? As far as I could tell getting 46/50 for Ext2 put you in the top 40% of the grade, so wouldn't that mean getting a mark only a few marks shy of 50 would disadvantage the person taking it by a fair amount? Or does the process you've just shown for maths work similarly for english ext2?

nahian

HSC
Samo4u,
Your sucking up would be much more useful if Struth was a female

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
you poor year 12 kiddies realise this: its by the grace of God that you have been endowed any intelligence at all. its not coincidental that some people have a lot more intelligence than others. these more intelligent beings dont need to study and they will get 99+ despite their incredible intake of drugs and alcohol around the hsc period. working hard and stressing in the end really cant change what you have been given, but those who apply themselves get what they want.

P_Dilemma

Extraordinary Entertainer
HSC
Nietzche: God is dead.

Anyway, in response:
Don't complain. I am doing, and probably will do, much worse than you.

shaz.w

HSC
hey...if i'm aiming for an uai of 98
do i need to get band 6 in most or all of my hsc exams
and be in top 10 for my subjects in school???
rite now...i'm top 5 in 3u and 4u maths...and top15 in eco...while
i'm approx top 15 for chem and bio...
i come from a comprehensive school...so does that mean i get less scaling??

tennille

HSC
Usually that is the case to achieve a UAI like that. Usually schools like James Ruse have students ranked 30/60, but are still getting high assessment marks, whereas at an average school, they may be significantly lower. The reason why ranking is more important is due the fact that some schools may mark harder/easier than others. At an average school, it is best to be in the top ten for most/all of your subjects in order to achieve a high UAI. On the contrary, at a "better" school, it is not as crucial to be in the top ten.

When you ask "do you need at band 6 for most/all of your subjects", do you mean your actual HSC marks or school marks? I have a friend who got 98.30 for his UAI and did 4U maths, adv english, chemistry, physics and biology, and I think he only got a band 6 for 4U and 3U maths. He was ranked first for every subject except English, in which he was ranked 8th. He went to an average school.

I hope that helps.

timobr0

Ευθήμιος
HSC
shaz.w said:
hey...if i'm aiming for an uai of 98
do i need to get band 6 in most or all of my hsc exams
and be in top 10 for my subjects in school???
rite now...i'm top 5 in 3u and 4u maths...and top15 in eco...while
i'm approx top 15 for chem and bio...
i come from a comprehensive school...so does that mean i get less scaling??
The school you go is not a factor in scaling.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Tennille said:
When you ask "do you need at band 6 for most/all of your subjects", do you mean your actual HSC marks or school marks? I have a friend who got 98.30 for his UAI and did 4U maths, adv english, chemistry, physics and biology, and I think he only got a band 6 for 4U and 3U maths. He was ranked first for every subject except English, in which he was ranked 8th. He went to an average school.
My friend got a UAI of 98.65 and she only got band 6's for 3U, 4U Maths and Jap Continuers and Extension. I don't know her ranks, but that's what I do know about her UAI and HSC marks. You don't need to be an All-Rounder to achieve a UAI of 98+, and I'm sure every year there are a few All-Rounders who don't get UAIs of 98+--not many, but frequently enough. I know two people who didn't get UAIs of 98+ and they are All-Rounders (HSC of 2005)

tennille

HSC
lala2 said:
My friend got a UAI of 98.65 and she only got band 6's for 3U, 4U Maths and Jap Continuers and Extension. I don't know her ranks, but that's what I do know about her UAI and HSC marks. You don't need to be an All-Rounder to achieve a UAI of 98+, and I'm sure every year there are a few All-Rounders who don't get UAIs of 98+--not many, but frequently enough. I know two people who didn't get UAIs of 98+ and they are All-Rounders (HSC of 2005)
That's exactly what I mean. :)

It's really dependent on the subjects you do.

cbadvanced

Air Wick
HSC
I FOUND THE SOLUTION TO THE POSTER (and everyone else's) SITUATION

JUST GET FULL MARKS FOR THE REST OF THE ASSESSMENTS AND TRIALS AND HSC

ITS THAT EASY!!!! :p

although I'm sure I wont achieve anything near what I just said

fleepbasding

HSC TUTOR
HSC
blackfriday said:
you're either new to this state, or just a blithering idiot.
no, technically he was absolutely right. scaling is dependant on the overall performance of the state-wide cohort completing that particular subject. moderating however...

blackfriday

Pezzonovante
HSC
but the guy was specifically referring to the school he went to, and the effect that would have on his final mark. but otherwise yes, scaling for specific subjects themselves are determined by a state wide cohort.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)