Stupid art teachers (1 Viewer)

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
I am so annoyed with my teacher, we had our internal marking of our BOWs the other day and I came 10th out of 13th in our class.

This pisses me off something severe considering the amount of time and MONEY I put into the bloody thing. It also pisses me off because supposedly the other three markers are impartial and one of them was my teacher's husband. She never liked my work from the outset and was forever telling me to change what I was doing to suit her tastes. I hated her tastes, so I only changed a few things. She obviously didn't like it because when the works were set up mine was left on the floor in a corner of the hall, dirtying the $180 frame I put on it. If I knew I could get top marks by throwing some paint in random patterns on a canvas or two (which was what the top three works in our class basically were, while I'm sure there was a lot of thought in them) I would have done that instead of wastibng my time on photography.

Basically the point of my story is that art is subjective and I can't understand how teachers can't let their own personal opinions of art/artist intrude on their marks. I don't think it's fair and I was wondering if anyone agrees with me.

guy

HSC
i think fast brief strokes and a dynamic between them and long detailed strokes do get you marks, at anyones school

and money and frames have nothing to do with anything ever
everyone at my school with a similar opinion towards teachers at my school actually DO SUCK
no offence
post pics of your BOW

tash

lalalala
HSC
i suppose we just have to live with it. at least when it gets marked by the hsc markers they won't know any history about your work so they may not have such a thing against it.
but remember, you're probably not the only person in the class who spent a whole lot of money on frames and stuff

Lucy Loo

hows this then- my art teacher was pregnant at the start of this year, so we got a new teacher for one term while she went on maternity leave- we were left with a teacher who knew absolutely SHIT ALL about art and then when my other teacher git back they decided to "share" the teaching- meanwhile the two teachers absolutely HATE each other so the conflict between them has reflected upon us and because of tha our artworks only JUST got finished.
then my teacher decided that she wanted my 6 photographs framed so she took them to the framers- didnt consult me about it all- oh no, just took them without my consent- so here i am $63.80 later with fuckin mounts that i dont even like and i found 6 perfect frames in the art room the other day which would have looked so much better but NOOOOO we have to go and get them done "professionally"- and they arent even mounted properly coz that woulda costed me $25 per photo- so now they are all bubbly and shit
and then my teacher told me if i didnt paint a bird flying away from the fire on my canvas-- (my artwork is about the destruction of bushfire) she was going to fail me- even though its not her fucking artwork- so now im gonna lose marks for a bird that looks like a white blob.
FUCK I WILL BE GLAD WHEN THIS IS ALL OVER
!!!

Leanne

HSC
i cant believe how pathetic ur art teachers have been!

y cant they just understand that ur major work is YOUR major work and not theirs!?? and getting things mounted without ur permission is just stupid!

My art teachers werent too bad..mind u, my dad is an art teacher himself, s they didn't try to change any parts of my work....if they suggested anything...i'd ask dad and if he said no- then i wouldn't bother! cos hes marked hsc works b4 and knows wat to look for- but they dont!!!!!

jaNetix

thats REALLY SUX....wat ur teachers r doin is WRONG!!
i have nothing cept good things to say bout my teach.

they friken cant fail u coz they want something in it...thats such a load of bull......

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Lucy that sucks big time. Did she make you pay for the mounts yourself? I don't blame you for being annoyed.

My teacher wanted me to get the mounts done professionally but I refused to. The framing had cost me enough on it's own :p I got my mum to do it coz she had all the stuff at home and she'd done a framing course, and I just told my teacher it was done professionally. She didn't know the difference. Typical.

clairethebear

Belle, you sound like you're in the same situation as me! My teacher wanted me to change everything on my artwork. I did photography too, but in the end I just left it how I liked it because everyone else liked it the way I did too. The teachers just have their expectations set too high because they have spent their life looking at professional artworks and have set a standard in their mind. Don't listen to your teacher, just pretend they're their to teach you art theory. Good luck.

clairethebear

I also got only 27/50 for my artwork for the internal mark, whereas people who put no effort into theirs got much better marks. I know I'll go better in the HSC though because there will be people marking it who can actually appreciate art for art and not art for marks.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by guy
and money and frames have nothing to do with anything ever
everyone at my school with a similar opinion towards teachers at my school actually DO SUCK
no offence
post pics of your BOW
i'm not really sure i get what your stance is but i agree that it's not just about money and the amount of work you put into an artwork. yeah, art is subjective, but just cos someone spends heaps of money and time it's not necessarily good art

not saying that anyone here is in that case i'm just sayin is all ..
Originally posted by Belle
I hated her tastes, so I only changed a few things. She obviously didn't like it because when the works were set up mine was left on the floor in a corner of the hall, dirtying the $180 frame I put on it. If I knew I could get top marks by throwing some paint in random patterns on a canvas or two (which was what the top three works in our class basically were, while I'm sure there was a lot of thought in them) I would have done that instead of wastibng my time on photography.
although i agree that art is heaps subjective and teachers/markers will often be biased, i really doubt your teacher would have done something as childish as that, i'm sure it was just an accident ..!

and, hm that was a bit unfair of you to say that those students "threw some paint in random patterns on a canvas" i'm sure they spent as much 'money and time' as you did .. :p

Belle

You should be dancing
HSC
Yeah, that was a bit unfair of me to say that. I appreciate that art can come in different forms and I was just really pissed off at the time :p Sorry if I annoyed anyone who did the same thing with that comment. I also know that money has nothing to do with marks, it just added injury to insult for me I guess.

And it's nice to know I'm not the only one, thanks Clairethebear :D I really do hope I get better marks from the BOS.

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
Originally posted by Belle
Yeah, that was a bit unfair of me to say that. I appreciate that art can come in different forms and I was just really pissed off at the time :p Sorry if I annoyed anyone who did the same thing with that comment. I also know that money has nothing to do with marks, it just added injury to insult for me I guess.

And it's nice to know I'm not the only one, thanks Clairethebear :D I really do hope I get better marks from the BOS.
no no i knew that you were just venting ;)

and i understand about the money thing- i spent about $600 on my artwork and i really disliked it by the time i'd finished it :(

and generally i think u'll find that the BOS markers will mark sooo differently to your internal marks !

Daemontreu

What.
HSC
N/A
Hmm... I guess I got lucky with my art teacher. I just ignored her for the most part unless her ideas co-incided with mine, and she let me go on my merry way. I knew what I was going on about, and in the end she understood (when she saw the whole thing together).

I know my ignoring her didn't affect my marks - even though she personally didn't like what I was doing. However, I do pity next years HSC art students - they have an absolute subjective cow of a teacher.

Gah! About cost? I mourn with you. I spent slightly more than $100 on plastic sleeves alone (ok, admittedly less than all of you guys, but I mean - plastic sleeves? *wince*).

Yeah. That's all I hang on to: The same people are NOT marking our HSC works.

stressed02

I wouldn't worry so much about the teacher thing... I know I did last year, my teacher and I didn't get along at all, she hated my work, i did what i liked. A very long story - but she gave me quite a crap progress mark, i complained but the other teachers said they couldn't do anything about it, but in the end I topped the grade in art after BOS marked my work...

So just do what you want to do, in the end it's your work and you have to be happy with it, and you'll be right. (never thought i'd say this after so much time was spent worrying about it) :)

Good luck with your works.

Leanne

HSC
i am fucking pissed off about my major art mark!!!!!! My teachers have said absolutely nothing against my artwork.. and then i find out today that i was given 40/50!!!!! meanwhile.....this guy who shoved some pieces of material together last minute got 45!!!!!! and these two guys...whose works were absolutely amazing in skill...got 41!!! then...my friend got 50/50..but no offence to her but an old suitcase, old clothes and a bunch of ink paintings just doesn't add up to such a high mark!!!!

i've been crying practically all arvo bout it....i'm sooo depressed..... :(

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
hey don't worry Leanna, 40/50 is actaully a VERY impressive mark in art.. just try not to think of it as a competition , you still got band 5! and besides, you've still got the BOS markers to go, who should be more unbiased than your teacher

Originally posted by tash
yeah it's nuts. but i suppose concept has an impact on what mark you get as well...
yeah it's 50/50 concept/technical ability in your chosen medium.

Leanne

HSC
well my concept was the strong part!!! i used a lot of photography and mixed media...as i'm not a strong drawer or painter.....but why should i be marked down for a lack of drawing/painting......?

my dad is an art teacher and he would have given me 43/50..not to be biased or anything...

Originally posted by johnson
40/50 is actaully a VERY impressive mark in art.. just try not to think of it as a competition , you still got band 5! and besides, you've still got the BOS markers to go, who should be more unbiased than your teacher
thanx for that! Its just ur rank counts for so much.. and i WAS coming 2nd........goodbye to any possibility of first...........

tash

lalalala
HSC
Originally posted by Leanne
well my concept was the strong part!!! i used a lot of photography and mixed media...as i'm not a strong drawer or painter.....but why should i be marked down for a lack of drawing/painting......?
you shouldn't be marked down for not drawing that'd be ridiculous. that's why they have so many different sections in art so you can't really mark a photography work aginst a drawing/painting.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)