Stuttering & University (1 Viewer)

NoAlert

HSC
N/A
Hello All

Well,I am a person who stutters and I will be starting University this year (fresh from high school). I am already shitting my pants and stress is killing me. I dont know anyone at uni and I will be expected (and would love) to make friends with people and im sure ill have to introduce myself to everybody I come across, and this is really hard for a person who stutters.

First impression is everything, and i'm sure I wont be able to leave a very good first impression, not because im an ugly dude or because im stupid and dumb, but due to the fact that I stutter.

Also, generally how understanding are people and lecturers with stuttering? Will I face many difficult situations and be mocked or are university fellas mature and understanding?

Please I need your supports/tips/advices to make things easier for me. I'm all excited about starting uni, but when I imagine what im going to go through..I really get scared!

Be thankful for what you have guys, I'd give an arm and a leg to not stutter. :(

SomaFairy

HSC
N/A
It's not high school. People are cool about this, my friend stutters too and he has heaps of friends. You don't want to hang out with wankers that judge you for stuttering anyways.

tinfoilhat

HSC
it's the people that talk shit all the time that have no friends...
i talk like a dyslexic half the time,
you'll be fine dude

jennieTalia

HSC
it's the people that talk shit all the time that have no friends...
i talk like a dyslexic half the time,
you'll be fine dude
I like your name hahaha.

I wouldn't worry about stuttering. I'm starting uni as well, and am nervous enough. I think everyone is nervous.
Good Luck :). I'd rather have a stutter and something to say, than a beautiful voice and no opinion.
xo

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
[youtube]x2pTYc6rlq0[/youtube]

Yeah, you'll be fine.

tinfoilhat

HSC
Hahaha thanks, my friend gave me the nickname, and it embarassingly stuck.
On another thread someone was saying that someones name was actually Jenna Tull. Like her REAL name. I LOL'd hard out.

hahahaha :rofl:

jaimebien

HSC
For me, first impressions aren't about what you say or how you say things, but how you come off. Look people in the eyes and show that you are sure of yourself.

HSC
i wouldn't be turned off by someone stuttering, dw bout it :)

chucknthem

chuck norris
HSC
How bad is your stuttering? Don't worry about it. The good thing about uni is, most of the "bullies" who made fun of people back in high school didn't make it to university :)

melsc

Premium Member
HSC
There was a person in a tute of mine last year who stuttered. This person just held their head high and did not let it stop them answering questions in tutes. I don't think anyone thought any less of this person and I believe because the person was so nice, they had plently of friends.

Most people at uni are mature and understand there are something people can't help. If people who are rude can have friends, you wont need to worry.

H@wkeye!

HSC
As everyone else has said, you've really got nothing to worry about. People know you're not doing it intentionally, and seriously don't care. Bullying is almost non-existent at uni, as you can just find other people. Also you don't have anything to worry about in tutes either, your tutors will understand and give you due credit etc.

I've said it so many times before, uni is SO different to school, it's so much more relaxed and the people are so different. Generally (especially in first year) the social bonds haven't been developed yet, and everyone is looking to make friends - and they won't hold stuttering against you.

But seriously, if they do, they're really not worth knowing!

Raven3333

Jerk
HSC
I've said it so many times before, uni is SO different to school, it's so much more relaxed and the people are so different. Generally (especially in first year) the social bonds haven't been developed yet, and everyone is looking to make friends - and they won't hold stuttering against you.
That sums it up excellently

PrettyVacant

HSC
Have you ever tried to get rid of it via speech pathology or something??

Otherwise it shouldn't affect anything. :D

NoAlert

HSC
N/A
Thanks a million guys for your support! I really feel alot better now and less nervous. :)

Maybe I should not really care about stuttering and just go out there and do/say whatever I want. Well thats what I always wanna do, but its really hard to be open and not care/stress about stuttering.

Ive been to Speech Therapy and it was completely useless as Speech Therapy only works for few and not all.

Another thing thats frightening me is Presentations! In High School I did do speeches but it was only infront of 15-20 people and it waso nly like 2 minutes long. At University its worth alot of more marks, has to be longer, and I have to do it infront of alot more people I guess. So any tips on that?

But you've been great so far guys, appreciate it!

Boxes

Banned
HSC
Thanks a million guys for your support! I really feel alot better now and less nervous. :)

Maybe I should not really care about stuttering and just go out there and do/say whatever I want. Well thats what I always wanna do, but its really hard to be open and not care/stress about stuttering.

Ive been to Speech Therapy and it was completely useless as Speech Therapy only works for few and not all.

Another thing thats frightening me is Presentations! In High School I did do speeches but it was only infront of 15-20 people and it waso nly like 2 minutes long. At University its worth alot of more marks, has to be longer, and I have to do it infront of alot more people I guess. So any tips on that?

But you've been great so far guys, appreciate it!
dude, don't worry about your stuttering. who really gives a fuck what people think?

i used to be exactly like you. i used to be so unsure of myself and i used to hate to speak because i was worried how i'd come off, but nowadays i couldn't give half a fuck what people think of me.

just get out there and speak your head off. even if you do stutter.

H@wkeye!

HSC
Well NoAlert, generally, presentations are done in front of Tute groups, or seminar groups or whatever you want ot call them, not the whole class. So, depending on uni and degree, you'll most likely only be doign your presentation in frount of 10-20 people. Plus, unis are all about mental ability, and while presentations are about presenting an arguement/topic/whatever - if there's something that affects your presentation (like stuttering) and it's something that regardless of what you do, there's nothing you can do about it - then the tutor/lectorer WILL NOT PENALISE you for it. If they do, that's something i'd take to the unit co-ordinator.

In my econs degree, we had to give presentations and we had people who spoke broken english at best, and still get good marks. It's far more about content. Plus, as (please correct me if i'm wrong) it may take you longer to get your point made, i'm sure if you asked, you'd even get more time to do it.

As for the social side, just be yourself, don't be afriad, the fuck-wits from school arn't here (if they are, they keep to the other fuck-wits) - people who put you down, will seriously be looked upon poorly.

Hope that helps

Hawk

/out

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)