Stuttering & University (1 Viewer)

TehAzner

HSC
N/A
With regards to class presentations at university, from my experience there aren't many of them throughout the year, that is unless you decide to do languages at university where at least 1 task is an oral presentation worth around 10-15%, which isn't too big a deal in the end. However with that said, when you're doing presentations the classes aren't too big. For me it was around 15 people max. Some commerce subjects like Accounting and Economics also have small presentations about the real world but they require more of a "team" presentation where you talk about 30 seconds to 1 minute each (which would turn out in your favour :p)

Anyways, best of luck with your studies at university, and as people have previously stated, uni is different to high school and most people you'll meet will be very tolerant and understanding. Just ignore those who make fun or persistently point out that you have a stuttering problem.

Miss Winey

HSC
oooohhhhhhhhh this is the loveliest thread ever!
not like some the other backstabbing racist, sexist, egotistic self-obsessed threads.

Look, the way i see it.
EVERYONE has something "not right" about them.
some have a big nose, webbed feet, lazy eyes, long arms, red hair, you're too fat or too skinny, too tall or too short, you can't sit still or you sit too still and don't say enough......
the list is endless.

The earlier people realise you are not perfect and never will be (which takes time and experience) you will stop bagging other people for not being "as perfect" as you.

Pretty much everyone can make a list of things they'd like to change about themselves, but at the end of the day,
if someone is going to hate you because you stutter,
well they're going to hate you for a helluva other things.
and they're going to hate heaps of other people as well.
so it's not worth being their friend.

Same goes if your think you're fat/skinny/tall/short/plain/ etc etc

TypeR

HSC
Thank you Miss Winey and everyone else.

I hope everyone has the same attitude as you, except CIV1501's who I cant find his post anymore, not sure who deleted it..but anyway its his own opinion really and im sure im gonna find people that have similar hate towards something that isnt our fault but we were just destined to it.

tinfoilhat

HSC
Anyway I hope people at Uni dont have CIV1501's attitude towards stuttering.
or anything else for that matter

hmm sometimes i tangle my words but i just keep going until i eventually get it right and then laugh it off.. i'ver noticed that if you're okay with how you speak no one else will care. just be confident and you'll be fine :)

Hakz

Proud Member
HSC
N/A
Hello All

Well,I am a person who stutters and I will be starting University this year (fresh from high school). I am already shitting my pants and stress is killing me. I dont know anyone at uni and I will be expected (and would love) to make friends with people and im sure ill have to introduce myself to everybody I come across, and this is really hard for a person who stutters.

First impression is everything, and i'm sure I wont be able to leave a very good first impression, not because im an ugly dude or because im stupid and dumb, but due to the fact that I stutter.

Also, generally how understanding are people and lecturers with stuttering? Will I face many difficult situations and be mocked or are university fellas mature and understanding?

Please I need your supports/tips/advices to make things easier for me. I'm all excited about starting uni, but when I imagine what im going to go through..I really get scared!

Be thankful for what you have guys, I'd give an arm and a leg to not stutter. :(
You will be fine, like said its not high school, at uni people are more mature and intelligent. If someone keeps asking questions that interrupt the lecture they are usually hated, but if you have a honest question no one minds.
But you will have to introduce yourself in your first tutorial and also in presentations, i personally get really nervous for presentations/intros so its a common problem with all students.

Just remember your not the only person thats nervous, so is everyone else.

Good luck.

HSC
N/A
Ridding of your stuttering/stammering, at least as a long-term thing, is no doubt to help communication.

For treatment, it would be wise to see a speech pathologist and perhaps a psychology and/or a shrink, as often it's argued that emotional insecurity is a primary trigger for stuttering (if not mimicking of parent's/parents' speech patterns).

Singing is sometimes used by speech pathologists as a starting point in overcoming the stutter.

If it's a matter of anxiety, you could used antianxiety drugs - personally, however, I would opt out of this temporal relief, and go with speech therapy.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)