Subject Acceleration (1 Viewer)

Intelligence123

HSC
Hi guys,
So I'm currently accelerated in Modern History and will be doing my HSC this year. However, my marks aren't up to scratch at all and I'm averaging about 75% in my assessment tasks. I don't actually want to repeat this subject either. I'm aiming for a 95 ATAR and I have 13 units altogether. Would it be better for me to discontinue this subject and put all my effort into my 11 units or should I complete the HSC for this subject and have the extra unit as back-up because I know that this mark will not account in my ATAR (since it's top 10)?

cub3root

fight another day
HSC
imo; drop it and focus on your other 11 units

Machiavelli1

HSC
I reckon you should still do it, also have you had trials yet? Personally I did business and maths 2U accelerated last year and overall I did decently but not what I had imagined geting. It was a real eye opener for me and plus sitting an actual HSC exam is a daunting and nerve racking experience, you sitting one before the rest of your peers puts you ahead in terms of certain ways of doing things, and so when you do it a second time a year later it's less frightening since you've already done it once before. So yeah keep it for the experience. And you never know, you might be able to do pretty well and have less units next year :)

Intelligence123

HSC
I have my trials coming up within the next two weeks. Yeah, I was also thinking about the experience aspect of completing the accelerated course as well. And since the top ten units are taken for the ATAR, this mark shouldn't have an impact isn't it?

Machiavelli1

HSC
I have my trials coming up within the next two weeks. Yeah, I was also thinking about the experience aspect of completing the accelerated course as well. And since the top ten units are taken for the ATAR, this mark shouldn't have an impact isn't it?
No it won't affect your other marks. Its also good to have a back up just in case you bomb out on one of your other subjects. Most people have a back up in year 12 but you will have already finished yours which is another plus to keeping it.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's worth continuing and doing the HSC exam for this subject.

photastic

HSC
You should focus it till the end. It's more satisfying to have a high mark at the end and reduce the pressure for next year, where you would have 8/11 more units left, meaning you have what, 4-5 subjects which will definitely help you. On top of that, whatever mark you get, you will have a better understanding of what the hsc exam feels like, which can be beneficial, either way a win-win.

Last edited:

williamzhong

HSC
Uni Grad
Yea... My recommendation is keep it and if your not happy with the hsc mark repeat it cause it's most likely your gonna do a lot better
From my past experience- I was accerlated as we'll and didn't achieve what I wanted and now I'm repeating and is now top 3 in the grade :)
Trust me u'll feel less under pressure and the information will process better as you've already studied the topics!!

Hope this helps but remember it's up to u in the end!! Goodluck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)