Subject choices for next year (1 Viewer)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Re: just asking

Here were my final selections (rather different from what I was thinking three or four months ago):

3u English
2u Ancient History
2u Legal Studies
2u Society & Culture
2u Drama
1u Philosophy

For Year 12, I take up an extra unit of English, possibly another unit of History, and drop Philosophy + one other subject (the one I least enjoy/do the worst in).

Kujah

HSC
N/A
How many people are doing Distinction courses?

Jachie

HSC
Apparently, everyone has to take 1st year Statistics at Uni.
Assuming people wish to study in Australia for their teritary education, or even want one.

booties4

HSC
Preliminary subjects-
  • ADV + EXT 1 english
  • Drama
  • Ancient history
  • Modern History
  • French Beginners
  • Chemistry
YES..................no more maths!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S i am hoping to pursue a career in either journalism or acting(actor, screenwrtier, director) something along those lines.

Artemis.

HSC
Well, next year I'll be doing:
- Extension 1 English
- Extension 1 Maths
- Chemistry
- Physics
- Modern History

Not looking forward to it a lot, I enjoy bludging.

Jachie

HSC
babikakez said:
I'm amazed that some government agency hasn't made maths compulsory, at least for year 11. They have here in WA.
But why would it be made compulsory? That's just silly. I know all the maths I need to know to get by. I know what 50% off a $2.99 item is, I know what my pay is when I get time-and-a-half. I know how to subtract, add, divide and multiply and that's all I need. You don't need to know the solutions to advanced Pythagoras problems to do what I want to do in life: live.

Last edited:

fallenstar

liberate, educate.
HSC
Jachie said:
But why would it be made compulsory? That's just silly. I know all the maths I need to know to get by. I know what 50% off a $2.99 item is, I know what my pay is when I get time-and-a-half. I know how to subtract, add, divide and multiply and that's all I need. You don't need to know the solutions to advanced Pythagoras problems to do what I want to do in life: live.
HEAR HEAR!! Exactly.

sasa-o8

HSC
for year 11 i'm gonna be doing:

- 2U Maths
- 2U ADV English
- 2U IPT
- 2U Legal
- 2U Economics
- 2U Business Studies

i really wished i didn't pick maths though. that's about the only thing I hate!

Zephyrio

HSC
Which school do you attend, Lucid Scintilla? I attend Sefton, by the way. Sorry for being discourteous and not asnwering you. =)

And you're lucky that at your school there is the possibility of accelerating...

Joohlie

HSC
I'm rethinking my choices :( I saw the class lists & NOT HAPPY.
For Ancient History, I am in a class of FOOLS. All guys except for another girl & me. I know those guys will not do work & would rather disrupt the class. Out of the Ancient History classes, the class I'm in is probably the "lowest". I was going to keep Ancient for year 12 but after knowing my class, maybe not. Hopefully, I can change classes. If not, textiles for me :(

Jachie

HSC
We haven't even got our timetables yet. Buuut I'm rethinking my choices now. I want to change from Modern History to Drama, because I'm already doing Ancient and probably plan on doing Extension in Year 12, so doing Modern on top of that is just overkill. Plus, I always planned to do Drama, I just didn't pick it at the last minute because I was pissed off with the teacher. (NEVER pick subject selections when you're holding grudges. Seriously. You'll regret it.) And I really want to pick up Economics from my free line, if there's any more room in the class (there should be, though, considering there are three eco classes).

HSC
N/A
Zephyrio said:
Which school do you attend, Lucid Scintilla? I attend Sefton, by the way. Sorry for being discourteous and not answering you. =)
Discourteous and not answering me? Oh, no, you're not being discourteous, nor are you not answering me.

I attend a good school, but not a great one. I don't think that I can't hint it without revealing the school's identity, but I can safely say that it is a selective state school; most school teachers here aren't top-notch, but are make the pass grade, I guess; and the school's demographics is predominantly Asian.

Jachie

HSC
Did your school make Top 200 this year? Come on, more hints!

slowjam10

HSC
hey, well i handed in my subject selection form a few weeks ago and the subjects i chose are as follows:

2U Adv English
1U - EXT 1 English
2U - Studies of Religion
2U - Modern History
2U - Food Technology
2U - Legal Studies
2U - Ancient History

Our school only gave us a week to hand in this form and yea now im starting to re-think some of my choices. I was initially told you should do the subjects that u are best at so thats why i didnt choose maths and i went with the humanities side and with history i chose both because i enjoy it and i got 1st this yr, but i did want to do at least one or two sciences although they put them on the same line. So do chemistry i would have to drop Legal Studies and to do Biology i would have to drop Ancient History. In the end i suppose writing comes to me more easily but i do find science really interesting, i did get 87 for it in the SC. Yeah so i would have to work at science more but like it opens up more doors with prerequisites for uni and stuff. I dunno yeah so any help would be greatly apreciated. :)

Career choices involve - law, medicine or speech pathology

Kujah

HSC
N/A
Yeah. Like what Jachie said. it's up to you to select your subjects- dont do subjects that ur friends are in, or have high scaling. Do those you really enjoy, and may help you in the future.

I'm sure most schools would allow you to change your subjects in the first early weeks of your Preliminary year.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)